* Pathfinder's meanderings in the snow

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
edited January 8, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have been watching the submissions for the challenge and they just keep getting better. Quite humbling to see the quality of the submissions.

It has been raining and gray here for the last week until last night when the rain finally turned into wet sticky snow which reached about 6 inches depth. So today I went out to see if I could still remember how to make a snowball. :1drink

I have three submissions on that theme and am interested in criticisms and suggestions.

13901069-L.jpg

13902451-L.jpg

13903865-L.jpg

I think I prefer the third shot, but I am interested in the viewer's opinions.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have been watching the submissions for the challenge and they just keep getting better. Quite humbling to see the quality of the submissions.

It has been raining and gray here for the last week until last night when the rain finally turned into wet sticky snow which reached about 6 inches depth. So today I went out to see if I could still remember how to make a snowball. 1drink.gif

I have three submissions on that theme and am interested in criticisms and suggestions.

13903865-L.jpg

I think I prefer the third shot, but I am interested in the viewer's opinions.
    Hi path.. funny.. I just put a snow shot up for my entry.. It's bucketing down here.. expecting 6 to 8 inches today..
    I really like number 3 I like the angle of the right hand. Great colors.clap.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 8, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi path.. funny.. I just put a snow shot up for my entry.. It's bucketing down here.. expecting 6 to 8 inches today..
    I really like number 3 I like the angle of the right hand. Great colors.clap.gif

I am a big fan of diagonal lines if they seem natural in the image too.
    Thanks for your comments, Lynn. I haven't see your entry and I just looked again and still have not found it.

I preferred the 1st and 3rd also. I could not decide whether to concentrate the focus on my hands or the distance. Good snow is hard because if you don't want it to look grey, you get close to blowing it out in spots.

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Yes, I, uh, would like to buy the gloves and the jacket. Could save for photo ops.

I thought they were all good. If you all say the third shot? Then I could go with that, too.

I just like the clothes!!! You look like an ad for LL Bean, or some upscale outdoor outfit.

ginger

good snowball, too. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The snowball, and that is what this is about, right, the snowball is best in the third shot, IMHO.:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Hi Path,

I really like the first one. The colors of the gloves and jacket really add to all of them!!! Great shots!
    -judy
    edited January 8, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am a big fan of diagonal lines if they seem natural in the image too.
    Thanks for your comments, Lynn. I haven't see your entry and I just looked again and still have not found it.

I preferred the 1st and 3rd also. I could not decide whether to concentrate the focus on my hands or the distance. Good snow is hard because if you don't want it to look grey, you get close to blowing it out in spots.
    I put it straight into the "Challenge" thread.. I can't do better so no point in comments and critiques.. I think... now I'm not sure now I've said it.. I guess I don't want to fuss with it.. fussed with it enough..rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 8, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I put it straight into the "Challenge" thread.. I can't do better so no point in comments and critiques.. I think... now I'm not sure now I've said it.. I guess I don't want to fuss with it.. fussed with it enough..rolleyes1.gif

I didn't see it for some reason - must not have finished linking when I clicked through. I like your shot a lot - great action. Mine seems kind of static in comparison.

edited January 8, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I didn't see it for some reason - must not have finished linking when I clicked through. I like you shot a lot - great action. Mine seems kind of static in comparison.
    Yours is pensive.. thoughtful, like "you're gonna get it any minute" the textures and colors are beautiful.
    edited January 8, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes, I, uh, would like to buy the gloves and the jacket. Could save for photo ops.
    I thought they were all good. If you all say the third shot? Then I could go with that, too.

Not for sale - sorry Ginger. Try the Cabelas catalog for the jacket.
    I just like the clothes!!! You look like an ad for LL Bean, or some upscale outdoor outfit.
    ginger
    good snowball, too. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    The snowball, and that is what this is about, right, the snowball is best in the third shot, IMHO.:D

I used the same snowball for all three shots Ginger :D:D:D

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Then you changed clothes and threw it at Lynn, Pathfinder. Hers is on the first Challenge page.

Both of you done good, IMO, and they are totally different shots........maybe the same one, but the perspective is different.

Don't mind me, I am just having fun with this.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited January 8, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Yours is pensive.. thoughtful, like "you're gonna get it any minute" the textures and colors are beautiful.

I wanted to innclude the background as much as possible, but could not really demonstrate the "making a snowball' much smaller as my arms weren't long enough to reach any further from the tripod, and it did require both hands I thought. I thought a little color would help on a grey overcast day some too.

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Hi Pathfinder
    I like the angle of the hands best in #1.
    I like the fact that the trees are a little clearer in #3. In this one the fact that the left hand is cut off bothers me a bit. It's not necessary to have the whole hand, but I like the nice triangle they make in #1. I know that's not much help, but it's just my thinking on it.

They are both great shots. Nice first person action and nice and clear and crip and colorful. Great job.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited January 8, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    I like the angle of the hands best in #1.
    I like the fact that the trees are a little clearer in #3. In this one the fact that the left hand is cut off bothers me a bit. It's not necessary to have the whole hand, but I like the nice triangle they make in #1. I know that's not much help, but it's just my thinking on it.

They are both great shots. Nice first person action and nice and clear and crip and colorful. Great job.

Thank you for your comments Snppy. I enjoyed seeing your thread and Fish's comments about recipe's.