Tablet device advice

RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited January 17, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Does anyone use a digitizing tablet for photoshoping? I've been looking at some in the 4x6 or up to 6x8 inches range. Having been an illustrator and CADD designer I'm more comfortable with a stylis and tablet for fine control of the input device and that the resolution of the tablet and stability of pick point are two critical issues but I have used the smaller tablets before, for my previous work I used a 10x14 or larger tablet but would something small for my desk at home. Any thoughts, any users with some advice on what they use?

(sorry, but I just couldn't resist rhyming the title!:D )

RM
http://roadrunes.com
"It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D

Comments

• NickBullNickBull Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    RocketMan wrote:
    Does anyone use a digitizing tablet for photoshoping? I've been looking at some in the 4x6 or up to 6x8 inches range. Having been an illustrator and CADD designer I'm more comfortable with a stylis and tablet for fine control of the input device and that the resolution of the tablet and stability of pick point are two critical issues but I have used the smaller tablets before, for my previous work I used a 10x14 or larger tablet but would something small for my desk at home. Any thoughts, any users with some advice on what they use?

(sorry, but I just couldn't resist rhyming the title!:D )

RM

I have a tablet that I use. It's A4 size (the actual drawing area - the tablet is larger than that in total). I really like it. It suits me for what I use it for (simple editing in Photoshop). I have no experience of any other tablets other than an hour on a Quantel Paintbox at a TV studio about 18 years ago, so I can't really compare it, but it works fine for me. It's a Tevion (I think - might be Medion - same thing) from Aldi and cost 25 GBP. Bargain (well, I think so anyway).
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Since you're already familiar with tablets, all I have to say is: what are you waiting for?!

I use the Wacom Inutos 4x6 and can't imagine trying to use PS without it now. The smaller sizes you mention will work fine--I am content with this table on my 19" screen.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Whoa.........you mean there are people who still use a rodent for PhotoShop editing? Wow! Who knew?

Sam
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Since you're already familiar with tablets, all I have to say is: what are you waiting for?!

I use the Wacom Inutos 4x6 and can't imagine trying to use PS without it now. The smaller sizes you mention will work fine--I am content with this table on my 19" screen.

That was one brand I was looking at, but there is no place I have found to try it out.

Glad you all were able to decifer my post, being dyslexic i tend to leave out words in my posts, even when I edit them, I see them there so why don't others!ne_nau.gif !?

My previous experiance taught me that specs often don't tell the whole story, a lot if it is simply how it "feels".
    RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Huh. Wacom is the only one I can find anywhere. headscratch.gif AFAIK they are the dominant brand in that particular niche. I know I'm quite pleased with mine.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    Whoa.........you mean there are people who still use a rodent for PhotoShop editing? Wow! Who knew?

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Yeah, I even haul a graphics tablet around for my notebook. Just got a Wacom Intuos 3 at work too-- very nice. I do a lot of audio editing in ProTools and there are all kinds of uses for a graphics tablet for that too-- they're not just for PS!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+