Black and White...with color, C&C welcome

JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 1, 2008 in Holy Macro
Good Morning all,

as I learn more and more about digital photography, I came across a technique which I fell in love with. I love the look of black and white photography with color accents. I began to play around with it a little on some of my own and came up with these...

121159717-M.jpg

121159705-M.jpg

121159650-M.jpg

I know my conversion needs little bit of work. These were mostly quick attempts to see how I like them. I started off with a few accents in the flags but then started going through some of my other pictures and found I really like the look of some larger items being in color.

I would love to hear some comments and critques on these. I have some more examples here

Thanks for looking!

www.sunshinestatephotography.com

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
~Anonymous

Please feel free to edit my images...I can only learn from it.

Comments

• TheFoodTravellerTheFoodTraveller Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    I like the second
    I am also playing with the B&W + color and I find that to have a better effect color should be only on a little details.
    I like your flag photo exactly for this reason. Little colored detail.

Cheers.
    Francesco P.
    http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
  • JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Thanks!
    Thanks Francesco...I will admit the flag photo is what inspired me to be a little more adventurous. I think I am going to aim for an entire gallery of US flags in this manner.

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
    ~Anonymous

• jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    nice, I am not sure bout the first. but the one of the flag and especially the horse are awesome! I love this technique so much.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    iloveyou.gifloved the flag shot and horse clap.gif
    flower is cool but other 2 are different
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    JWilbur26 wrote:
    Good Morning all,
    as I learn more and more about digital photography, I came across a technique which I fell in love with. I love the look of black and white photography with color accents. I began to play around with it a little on some of my own and came up with these...
    I know my conversion needs little bit of work. These were mostly quick attempts to see how I like them. I started off with a few accents in the flags but then started going through some of my other pictures and found I really like the look of some larger items being in color.
    I would love to hear some comments and critques on these. I have some more examples here
    Thanks for looking!

Hi there, yes selective colour is a fun technique and you did very well with it clap.gif the first shot doesnt really do anything for me, but the second and third shots look good thumb.gif .... keep up the good work... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Love the house with the American Flags...thumb.gif
    edited January 8, 2007
    Thank you all for looking. Glad to hear I am somewhat on the right path...just need to be little more selective with my coloring (no pun intended)

~Anonymous

• GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    #2 and #3 I like a lot! thumb.gif
    #2 most of all!
    I'm a sucker for this Selctive Color stuff myself. ne_nau.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 9, 2007
    the flag one works for me-

neat-
    edited January 9, 2007
    Thank you all...I am liking the flag one more and more everyday.

~Anonymous

• MooRaaMooRaa Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2008
    black and white with color
    how did you do the black and white pictures with color? i have been trying to figure out how to do it for a very long time and have not figured out how!! i really want to learn how to! if anyone can tell me how to do it i would be incredibly greatful!! :)
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2008
    MooRaa wrote:
    how did you do the black and white pictures with color? i have been trying to figure out how to do it for a very long time and have not figured out how!! i really want to learn how to! if anyone can tell me how to do it i would be incredibly greatful!! :)

Yes I love this idea too. I have Photoshop CS3 and I would love to know how it is done etc etc.
    Regards
    Bob
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    << would love to know how it is done ... >>

I don't know the specifics of how it was done here, but the basics are essentially the same afaik ... you have to mask out the bit you want to keep (in col) ... and de-saturate the rest.

I don't use CS3 (have 5.5) and I'd do / have done it as follows
    Copy the original coloured layer
    De-saturate the lower
    Create a layer mask for the upper col. layer and isolate the bit(s) you want to keep coloured by whatever selection tools you need / find relevant.

Using a layer mask on the upper (col) layer allows you to non-destructively edit the mask to get the fit desired.

There's probably different / slicker workflows with CS3 - but since I don't have acces - I can't say :)

Could be done 'the other way round' of course ... de-saturate the upper layer, with col one underneath.
    Add layer mask to the upper ... and edit this mask to 'let the coloured bits through' ...

hth

pp
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    << would love to know how it is done ... >>

I don't know the specifics of how it was done here, but the basics are essentially the same afaik ... you have to mask out the bit you want to keep (in col) ... and de-saturate the rest.

I don't use CS3 (have 5.5) and I'd do / have done it as follows
    Copy the original coloured layer
    De-saturate the lower
    Create a layer mask for the upper col. layer and isolate the bit(s) you want to keep coloured by whatever selection tools you need / find relevant.

Using a layer mask on the upper (col) layer allows you to non-destructively edit the mask to get the fit desired.

There's probably different / slicker workflows with CS3 - but since I don't have acces - I can't say :)

Could be done 'the other way round' of course ... de-saturate the upper layer, with col one underneath.
    Add layer mask to the upper ... and edit this mask to 'let the coloured bits through' ...

hth

pp

Thanks Paul, I am sure it is quite easy once you know how. I am not that advanced with Photoshop but I will see what I can do with the layers and the masks etc.
    Regards
    Bob
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    I like the flag image the best.

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker