Catch a comet!

2»

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    mmm, I think that's just for you folks down under Gus. I'm not sure it's coming back for us up here above the equator. headscratch.gif
    Doh !! They are talking of it being up to -2 mag here after it leaves the sun but after 3 years of shocking drought ..we appear to be getting nothing but cloud lately.
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    mmm, I think that's just for you folks down under Gus. I'm not sure it's coming back for us up here above the equator. headscratch.gif
    We will not see the comet up here above the equator.

Dee, if you saw the object all that time, it cannot be meteor. It cannot be ISS and it is not the comet. If it were Venus and you blured the picture, you would get a curvy line, not a ball (I know I tried). So I guess it left us with UFOne_nau.gif . I wonder, if you used binoculars to look at it, and if you did, did it look the same as it looks at the pictures. Does that thing looks the same at all pictures you took?
    I also took picture of something strange few days ago.
    Here it is:
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/342660732_3836984a95_o.jpg
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    ajgauthier wrote:
    I went back to look at where ISS was yesterday around that time, but Heaven's Above was no help. It did sort-of look like a meteor, but not quite. Could have been an Iridium flare too...that's what they look like (big bright end and then a tail dimming off) If it was a plane catching a huge reflection from the Sun, it would have been more uniform. Maybe you caught a few things (Venus plus a plane)? I'm just curious about the top part of the 'tail', looks kinda-rainbow-y (like a sundog sometimes does)...so I wonder if there was an ice crystal structure in the clouds going on to cause some optical phenomenon (?)

Venus wouldn't move that fast in 1 second...a 1 second exposure just makes it look oval instead of a nice 'sphere' (though I don't know the current phase).

Interesting, no doubt!

Adrienne
    According to Heavens Above, there weren't any iridium flares at that time for San Fran. ISS would have been traveling the other direction, I believe. When I saw it a few weeks ago it was going from southwest to northeast. I'd lean towards Venus with a lens flare causing the tail if I were a betting man.

Whatever it is, it's cool that you went out and took a crack at the comet! thumb.gif
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    you made it on Spaceweather!
    mbz wrote:
    Dee, whatrver it is it is not the comet.
    Here's the picture I took tonight 1/11/07 from San Francisco

clap.gif hey Mila! You got a front page spot on Spaceweather today with this photo!!!

Adrienne
    edited January 12, 2007
    ajgauthier wrote:
    clap.gif hey Mila! You got a front page spot on Spaceweather today with this photo!!!

Adrienne
    Thank you, Adrienne.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    I'll try again today
    I think I can convince my daughter and grandson to come with me, or I'll go alone.

The ONLY thing I can possibly think of is that I might have had a lot of salt on my lens and possibly it was a flare from the salt crystals on the lens??? But I still don't know what the object was. I tried looking at star charts, but I'm not very good at that either.

Maybe I'll see the comet this time! Looks like I have 2 or 3 more days too to try. I'm just hoping the wind dies down and I'll try the telephoto zoom lens, though it's not very sharp.

Obviously I was too late to see the comet and it was gone by 6 p.m. when I first started taking pictures.

Here's what yesterday looked like at 5:05 p.m. PST

122740246-M.jpg
    edited January 12, 2007
    probably just out of the frame
    I quickly did some playing in PS to try to show you where the comet is in this image...but I think it's just out of the frame at the top! I figured at least to invert the colors, play with curves, do an exclusion layer or something and we'd be able to see a small smidge of 'something' to the right upper area from the sun....but I think it's just out of the frame b/c nothing popped out at me.

Good luck trying tonight! I'm going to try here in Tucson, but it's a bit cloudy :(

Adrienne

tonight it will appear directly over the Sun...it'll probably be tough to see...diagram below. On the 13th we'll probably lose it, but it'll be more to the left of the Sun between the Sun and Venus.
    edited January 12, 2007
    Well, at least I'll know where to look!
    ajgauthier wrote:
    I quickly did some playing in PS to try to show you where the comet is in this image...but I think it's just out of the frame at the top! I figured at least to invert the colors, play with curves, do an exclusion layer or something and we'd be able to see a small smidge of 'something' to the right upper area from the sun....but I think it's just out of the frame b/c nothing popped out at me.

Good luck trying tonight! I'm going to try here in Tucson, but it's a bit cloudy :(

Adrienne

tonight it will appear directly over the Sun...it'll probably be tough to see...diagram below. On the 13th we'll probably lose it, but it'll be more to the left of the Sun between the Sun and Venus.

My luck I won't see it.... So far it's clear and breezy, but we get those horizon clouds, haze, bands of haze often at the ocean.

Thank you for the diagram, that really helps a lot.
    edited January 12, 2007
    I caught the comet on my CF card
    With a lot of help from my daughter's eagle eye (I never would have spotted it, altho it might have showed up when I got on the computer at 100%) I caught the comet! Finally! Not the greatest photos but this time I was using my tripod and my remote commander. I may have accidentally hit the front of the telephoto lens when the tripod was moved from the sidewalk to next to my car door. I had it set to manual focus, but it's so easy to mess up the focus as I'm learning the very hard way.

Here's the first sighting:

122781794-L.jpg

And here's another, followed by my last capture!

122781797-L.jpg

122781800-L.jpg
    edited January 12, 2007
    awesome Dee!
    awesome Dee! It was so close to the setting Sun, I think you got the best you could. But can you just imagine how bright it is to show through the bright sunset sky! Pretty cool...with your own eyes (and your daughter's) you saw an object that's composed of left-overs from the formation of the solar system...very old stuff indeed!

clap.gif

Adrienne
    edited January 13, 2007
    Congrats,Dee.thumb.gif
    edited January 13, 2007
    Love your comet collage
    mbz wrote:
    Congrats,Dee.thumb.gif

Odd how that strange dark could at the horizon appears different from different locations.

If that dark cloud hadn't been there, my daughter wouldn't have been able to tell me where the comet was.
    edited January 13, 2007
    Gave me a lot to think about
    ajgauthier wrote:
    awesome Dee! It was so close to the setting Sun, I think you got the best you could. But can you just imagine how bright it is to show through the bright sunset sky! Pretty cool...with your own eyes (and your daughter's) you saw an object that's composed of left-overs from the formation of the solar system...very old stuff indeed!

clap.gif

Adrienne

I think we have 2 more nights to see the comet? Your comments did give me pause... never thought about a comet like that. Unlike the thing I saw the night before, the comet was so faint I'm not even sure I saw it with my eyes. My daughter kept thinking she was seeing things, then finally decided it was a comet. I aimed and shot! Laughing.gif!

I didn't even think about the brightness of the sunset as usually I look for comets and sky stuff when it's dark and there's a good contrast.

The comet did not show up where the sun set, however (as I read on space.com) but to the north of it.

I doubt very much I'll be able to see it tonight, but I'll give it a try.
    edited January 13, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    I think we have 2 more nights to see the comet? Your comments did give me pause... never thought about a comet like that. Unlike the thing I saw the night before, the comet was so faint I'm not even sure I saw it with my eyes. My daughter kept thinking she was seeing things, then finally decided it was a comet. I aimed and shot! Laughing.gif!

I didn't even think about the brightness of the sunset as usually I look for comets and sky stuff when it's dark and there's a good contrast.

The comet did not show up where the sun set, however (as I read on space.com) but to the north of it.

I doubt very much I'll be able to see it tonight, but I'll give it a try.

yeah - the astronomers try to figure out it's path, but there are so many variables (including, how much it's sublimating with the sun's heat, how the vapor trail affects it's path, mass/density, what's it really made of (how much ice vs. how much rock), etc. that the "predictions" can be off a little bit. My diagram was from a software package called Starry Night and is by no means completely accurate for comets and such...just a general idea. Same with info from space.com and such places...though Heaven's Above does give it's exact position at the current time...but predictions for anything 24 hours or more in advance are hard to be completely accurate about.

I'm hoping the clouds clear here and maybe I can get another look tonight.

We should though, be getting some very nice images from southern hemisphere observers in the next few weeks!

I should add though, that's it's become so bright (Sat Jan 13) that it can be seen during the day! Check out http://www.spaceweather.com as someone in Switzerland got a daytime image... "

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This weekend is a special time for Comet McNaught because it is passing close to the sun. Solar heat is causing the comet to vaporize furiously and brighten to daylight visibility. At magnitude -4 to -5, McNaught is the brightest comet since Ikeya-Seki in 1965.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The secret to seeing McNaught: Get rid of the sun. You can do this by standing in the shadow of a tall building or billboard. Make a fist and hold it at arm's length. The comet is about one fist-width (5 degrees) east of the sun's position. Try it![/FONT] "

Still partially cloudy here, but I do keep checking :)

Adrienne
    edited January 15, 2007
    Here's my shots taken 1/13/07.
    The tail was almost lost to thr sunset glow.
    edited January 15, 2007
    mbz wrote:
    Here's my shots taken 1/13/07.
    The tail was almost lost to thr sunset glow.

NIce sequence! I saw them also on spaceweather.com :)

My airplane photo didn't make it (sniff sniff) --- but many other great images have. Can't wait to see what comes out of the southern hemisphere in the coming weeks!

Adriennethumb.gif
    edited January 15, 2007
    ajgauthier wrote:
    NIce sequence! I saw them also on spaceweather.com :)

My airplane photo didn't make it (sniff sniff) --- but many other great images have. Can't wait to see what comes out of the southern hemisphere in the coming weeks!

Adriennethumb.gif
    Thank you, Adrienne.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Ok here is the handout guys...aussie viewing mentioned about half way down the page.
    Thanks for the link Gus. There's a piccie showing the trajectory for the next few nites which is useful for us down the bottom. I'll have a look this arvie (if the weather's ok).
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Thanks for the link Gus. There's a piccie showing the trajectory for the next few nites which is useful for us down the bottom. I'll have a look this arvie (if the weather's ok).
    Mate im off my head here with the cloud...about 10 days straight now & more today totally blocking anything out !