Options

EXPO DISC For White Balance

2»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 7, 2007
    I shoot RAW all the time, but getting the color balance right in the camera at the time, will save you hours of re-editing. Works for me.thumb.gif

Expo disc, WHi-Bal, or just setting the correct WB setting helps too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    manta1900manta1900 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    ΙΜΗΟ... With digital "Auto White Balance" filter you get better results. headscratch.gif All I did was run an "Auto White Balance" filter that I created myself.
  • Options
    Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    I like that it has a strap with the EXPO DISC...keeps it handy to take along when you want to use it. I will practice more with it. Not sure how I feel about it just yet.

White Balance scares the bejibbies out of me so I thought this could be a quick fix. I am extremely serious about learning how to shoot under bad lighting conditions.

Again, I'll have to play with it.

Thanks for your comment.thumb.gif

I looked in to the expo disc...didn't get one because of the $$$, but I just started using a lid to a coffee can to set my custom white balance. I had been using a grey card. This is working MUCH better for me. I do recommend shooting raw if you are more than often getting your white balance way off (like I always do/did) it won't really be an issue.
    I also recommend reading your camera manual over and over until it finally makes sense. Sounds like you and I are similar, self taught etc. If you aren't getting what you want out of the expo disc, try the can lid. And if you can shoot raw, try it. I just got a new memory card just so I can do a shoot and not worry about having to switch cards.
    I have say that it does add to post processing in someways....but it saves you a ton in others.
    Let me know how it goes!
    Carrie
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Thanks Carrie...I'll try that too...I'm always willing to try some gadget...especially if it's homemade. Wow my thread came back to life. :D