team collage - feedback plz

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited January 14, 2007 in Sports
**UPDATED** see current version below (post #17)

My son's rec league season is finally coming to an end. They won the right to advance to regional playoffs this weekend and next, but I think they're done after that. That means it's time to put together the coaches gift - a collage of all the players. What I've come up with this year is posted below and I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. I was going to print it up as a 8x10. Initially I was thinking of including some trite? saying such as "Coach to many, Dad to one" making the link between the coach and his son (in the lower right corner).

So whatta think?

C.

121239295-M.jpg

(if you want, you can see the original here.)
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    So whatta think?

I don't like the lettering used on the right side. It's very hard to read the last word. Are those e's or c's or both? Other than that I think it would make a great gift.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    I agree that it is a bizarre, illegible font.

Coach is featured prominently. Not sure I'm crazy about the white background. That aside, it's a great collage. You did a nice job.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
    edited January 5, 2007
    Tommyboy wrote:
    I agree that it is a bizarre, illegible font.

Coach is featured prominently. Not sure I'm crazy about the white background. That aside, it's a great collage. You did a nice job.

I looked again. The picture of the coach is a little too serious...almost angry looking. Do have one where he looks a litte happier ne_nau.gif ? Maybe taken after a win...I assume they did win..:D

That font does have to go. The white may not be a problem at all, given it's well matted when framed.
  • TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Hi Colleen,

nice work putting this together and am sure the coach will be Happy to have it. I do have to agree with the prvious comment.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Hi guys,

thanks for the feedback. I was trying to stay away from the tried and true basic fonts, but I guess they do have their place. I should've listened to my kids when they said it was hard to tell the "l" and "e" apart.

I've played around with it. Besides changing the font, I've also decreased the prominence of the coaches picture and increased the size of the individual players. This should also decrease the excess amount of white space.

so, whatta ya think? better?

C.

121281654-M.jpg
    Colleen

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 5, 2007
    I'm still not crazy about the lettering... do you have your heart set on vertical?

and I'm glad you made everyone bigger. that first take just looked like a white background that had a case of the spots! make the boys proud, and big!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited January 6, 2007
    SILVER BULLETS?! ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME? I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT'S WHAT IT SAID! lol3.giflol3.gif
    edited January 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm still not crazy about the lettering... do you have your heart set on vertical?

and I'm glad you made everyone bigger. that first take just looked like a white background that had a case of the spots! make the boys proud, and big!

Thanks for the comments Dr. It. suggested font style??? And, no I don't have my heart set on vertical, it just seemed to fit there bestne_nau.gif Other suggestions welcome.
    jeffro wrote:
    SILVER BULLETS?! ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME? I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED THAT'S WHAT IT SAID! lol3.gif

Laughing.gif Jeffro. I didn't think it was that badrolleyes1.gif And, as for the seriousness of the coach - that's what he always looks like. For those that know him, you can tell there's a smile in his eye.

C.
    Colleen

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    I have to agree with Jeffro....I had absolutely no idea that lettering spelled out "Silver Bullets". I thought it was the kid's name! I even had trouble reading the 2nd version, which is improved. Vertical lettering is really hard for me (and others!) to read! I like the second layout better with the coach not so prominent. Before I saw that version though, I was thinking the coach should not be the prominent photo (in my opinion, for what it's worth) isn't this about the kids? Seems to me the kid should be prominent and the coach be a smaller shot. ne_nau.gif Over all, I am liking the layout, though!!! :D

Sorry!!! I just re-read that this was NOT for the kids....disregard my comment on the coach!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 6, 2007
    c-

gee-

I still think they're the siever buccets-

I would like horizontal lettering--fonts are ok-

I believe I like the photos fine-

I assume you took all of them--if so, good job-

what about a different background?-

a light gradient with the team colors?-

might be too busy-

I dunno'-

just my thoughts-

you'll get there-
  • oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Looks alittle better .The white background really bugs me gives Halos to all the pictures which is distracting I would find a common color Like green and fade your pictures into that
    Thanks for sharing ,Mark
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    "Silver Bullets" vertical down the entire left side.
    Dont put the two words side by side,
    Keep hunting for another font. Maybe someone can help?

But I like the idea behind this.
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village

edited January 7, 2007
    Thanks Mark and Simone for your thoughts.

I thought about putting a gradient behind all the pictures, but right now it would make the coaches picture stand out even more (it's bkgd being white), so I'm not sure how to pull that off.

Simone, your idea of running the team name in a single column might work. I'll try that and see what it looks like.

It might take a couple of days to try some of these things - classes start back up again at my University tomorrow and I'm already behind (getting sick right before the start of term does not go well with being well prepared!).

cheers,

C.
    Colleen

• shadgkissshadgkiss Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    I like the second one better but as the rest have said, maybe a light background and the team name down the side in one line. What program are you using to make this up. My neice would really like it if I would do this for her varisty team.

Good luck and please post the final.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    I am also in agreement with everyone...perhaps the lettering should go horizontal. The white background is too much on the eyes...and also it needs a black boarder or something.

Other than that I think the pics look great. I do like the way you have the coach in the pic. Looks great. thumb.gif
    edited January 9, 2007
    Newest version
    thanks everyone for your previous comments. As requested, here is the latest version. No more vertical lettering and w/ a dark gradient background. Any other suggestions/comments?

thanks again for your C&C.

C.

122241408-M.jpg
    Colleen

edited January 9, 2007
    gee c-

that's come a long way-

really nice-

couple thoughts-

the gradient in a forest green color or contrasting color?-

or a border, some type of green?-

whatever; I think you've done great-
    edited January 10, 2007
    hey George,

thanks for the reply and compliments. Green, huh? Like grass green? Might work, I'll give it a try,

C.
    Colleen

edited January 10, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    122241408-M.jpg

I like this much better.....clap.gif
  • shadgkissshadgkiss Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    A lot better. Nice work.
    edited January 10, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    hey George,

thanks for the reply and compliments. Green, huh? Like grass green? Might work, I'll give it a try,

C.

yes, but very light-
  • Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    The last one looks really nice.....Much better than the first ...

I think the coach will love it...I know I would if my players gave it to
    me.

Rod

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Glad you took away the white background...this is much easier on the eyes. Good work. wings.gif
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Wonderful work, Colleen.
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw
    edited January 13, 2007
    Thanks Rod, Seneca and Trevor, for your comments. Nice it's off to the printers.

shadgkiss, you asked which program I was using to do this. This particular collage was done in photoshop (cs2) w/ each individual player's pic on its own layer. Some what cumbersome, but it worked. I've also done collages in MS Word. Just import each image and position where you want. Can't save it as a jpg, so I can't show it, but that one also turned out reasonably well and my dear hubbie just printed out on his large format printer at work. But, I've become much more sophisticated in my pp nowmwink.gif

and now we await the beginning of spring season (just around the corner - it seems like it never ends),

C.
    Colleen

edited January 14, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Thanks Rod, Seneca and Trevor, for your comments. Nice it's off to the printers.

shadgkiss, you asked which program I was using to do this. This particular collage was done in photoshop (cs2) w/ each individual player's pic on its own layer. Some what cumbersome, but it worked. I've also done collages in MS Word. Just import each image and position where you want. Can't save it as a jpg, so I can't show it, but that one also turned out reasonably well and my dear hubbie just printed out on his large format printer at work. But, I've become much more sophisticated in my pp nowmwink.gif

and now we await the beginning of spring season (just around the corner - it seems like it never ends),

C.

I'm sure everyone will appreciate the poster-

I thought it turned out pretty good-

fyi-

thre's a free download called mw snap that will allow to define whatever area on your monitor and save it as a jpeg-

I use it to capture the curve images I've used in the photoshop book tutorial-
    edited January 14, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    fyi-

thre's a free download called mw snap that will allow to define whatever area on your monitor and save it as a jpeg-

I use it to capture the curve images I've used in the photoshop book tutorial-

thanks for the info George, I'll check it out.

C.
    Colleen