Picture A Day - Day 5 part one

RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited January 6, 2007 in Holy Macro
DAY FIVE

These are shots taken in early AM of the last of four Tidal Locks that formed the terminus of the Alexandria Canal that ran between Old Town and Georgetown a little ways upriver. The lock was unearthed in the mid 1980’s and this recreation was constructed in its original location. In total the four locks lowered the canal to the level of the Potomac. Back in its day Alexandria was the main shipping port for the DC area and the canal carried the shipping cargo upriver and across to DC. The route it followed ran parallel to what is now the George Washington Parkway along the Potomac river on the Virginia side and was connected to the C&O Canal in Georgetown via a aqueduct that crossed the Potomac at the western edge of Georgetown. In fact a section of the old aqueduct is still in existence and can be seen from Key Bridge or by walking along the canal directly below it.

This will become part of a series I’m planning on doing about the various canals that used exist in and around Washington, DC.

I’ll be taking pictures of that soon along with the old Lockkeepers house at 17th and Constitution Ave, that at one point in the early history of Washington was actually a canal itself until it was filled in and became the Avenue it is today.

Alex-canal-tidal-lock-1-web.jpg

The second one is a shot looking along a river walk next to the restored lock. The double image was an attempt to add depth to the scene, not really sure it works or not, but this whole picture a day exersize is to learn and experiment, so anything goes, right?:D

tidal-lock-2-web.jpg

coming up, in part 2 of day 5, a visit with Frank Lloyd Wright and one of his Usonian Houses.

Stay tuned!

RM
http://roadrunes.com
"It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    RocketMan wrote:
    DAY FIVE

These are shots taken in early AM of the last of four Tidal Locks that formed the terminus of the Alexandria Canal that ran between Old Town and Georgetown a little ways upriver. The lock was unearthed in the mid 1980’s and this recreation was constructed in its original location. In total the four locks lowered the canal to the level of the Potomac. Back in its day Alexandria was the main shipping port for the DC area and the canal carried the shipping cargo upriver and across to DC. The route it followed ran parallel to what is now the George Washington Parkway along the Potomac river on the Virginia side and was connected to the C&O Canal in Georgetown via a aqueduct that crossed the Potomac at the western edge of Georgetown. In fact a section of the old aqueduct is still in existence and can be seen from Key Bridge or by walking along the canal directly below it.
    This will become part of a series I’m planning on doing about the various canals that used exist in and around Washington, DC.
    I’ll be taking pictures of that soon along with the old Lockkeepers house at 17th and Constitution Ave, that at one point in the early history of Washington was actually a canal itself until it was filled in and became the Avenue it is today.
    The second one is a shot looking along a river walk next to the restored lock. The double image was an attempt to add depth to the scene, not really sure it works or not, but this whole picture a day exersize is to learn and experiment, so anything goes, right?:D
    coming up, in part 2 of day 5, a visit with Frank Lloyd Wright and one of his Usonian Houses.
    Stay tuned!
    RM

What an informative Post RocketMan, looks like you having a good time, and best of all your actually retaining all the information, unlike me who often hasn't got a clue where I was when I took a shot rolleyes1.gif

I like night shots, thank you for sharing your travels ....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    iloveyou.gifnice photos and thread
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery