panorama problems

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 7, 2007 in Finishing School
I put together a panorama and it made a HUGE file! I can't figure out how to resize it in order to upload it to SM. What's the best way to do that? It (PSE 5) didn't want to try the Save for Web option. I had hoped to make it available to see if anyone wanted to fiddle with improving it. Of course, I did not shoot in manual (aperture priority instead), so not all of my exposures came out the same. The transition from the first shot to the second is the worst seam. Is it possible to try and salvage such a shot? I knew folks would want to see the pic before saying if it was possible, but I'm not sure how to do that even!

Elaine
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Elaine,
    Elaine wrote:
    I put together a panorama and it made a HUGE file! I can't figure out how to resize it in order to upload it to SM. What's the best way to do that? It (PSE 5) didn't want to try the Save for Web option. I had hoped to make it available to see if anyone wanted to fiddle with improving it. Of course, I did not shoot in manual (aperture priority instead), so not all of my exposures came out the same. The transition from the first shot to the second is the worst seam. Is it possible to try and salvage such a shot? I knew folks would want to see the pic before saying if it was possible, but I'm not sure how to do that even!

Elaine

You've asked several questions... Now it's my turn:-)

How many piccies were in your pano? At what resolution/color depth did you shoot each one? ne_nau.gif

Also, if you want to post at least large versions of the individual shots somewhere it'll be easier to help you... mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    OK...there are 11 photos in my pano. I just spent some time with it again and PSE 5 did a MUCH better job of blending it than PSE 3 had done. It's not perfect, but considering I didn't shoot correctly for a pano to begin with (manual for same exposures), I'm satisfied with it.

Now...how to resize the thing for posting on SM?? When I go to Image>Resize>Image Size, it says...

screenshot1.JPG

Can you tell me my next step??

Elaine
    Elaine

edited January 6, 2007
    Elaine,
    Elaine wrote:
    OK...there are 11 photos in my pano. I just spent some time with it again and PSE 5 did a MUCH better job of blending it than PSE 3 had done. It's not perfect, but considering I didn't shoot correctly for a pano to begin with (manual for same exposures), I'm satisfied with it.

Now...how to resize the thing for posting on SM?? When I go to Image>Resize>Image Size, it says...

screenshot1.JPG

Can you tell me my next step??

Elaine

First of all, 11 images can produce rather large size pano;-)

Second, PSE is far from ideal tool for stitching handheld images taken in non-manual mode. Only PS CS3 starts to look promising, but I normally use Panorama Factory.

Finally, in your case why don't you change height to, say, 4 inches and select Resample bicubic sharper.

HTH
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    I've had great success with AutoStitch. I've also had some miserable failures with it but mostly great success. May want to give that a try.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited January 6, 2007
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I may try the Panorama Factory's 30-day free trial, just so I can do this image.

I did manage to get a very small version of it to upload to SM. It would be nice to see it larger, even though that means scrolling to see it all.

Any more ideas/suggestions?

Elaine

121446174-L.jpg

Edit: Just read that I won't be able to use the free trial without a watermark showing up (which makes sense). Not sure I want to buy the whole thing when I don't do many panos, so this may be my best shot!
    Elaine

edited January 6, 2007
    Elaine,
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions! I may try the Panorama Factory's 30-day free trial, just so I can do this image.

I did manage to get a very small version of it to upload to SM. It would be nice to see it larger, even though that means scrolling to see it all.

Any more ideas/suggestions?

Elaine

121446174-L.jpg

Edit: Just read that I won't be able to use the free trial without a watermark showing up (which makes sense). Not sure I want to buy the whole thing when I don't do many panos, so this may be my best shot!

To allow it larger specify -O.jpg instead of -L.jpg

Of course, if you're not in pano mode all the time, maybe something simpler would do..:-)

HTH
    edited January 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    To allow it larger specify -O.jpg instead of -L.jpg

Of course, if you're not in pano mode all the time, maybe something simpler would do..:-)

HTH

I actually did try viewing the Original, and all it did was show a hair's width of something, really tall. There was no picture to see. What did I do wrong?
    Elaine

• LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Although it's not the easiest program to use, I've had great success with Hugin (open source PTgui); it's a labor intensive process, but the results are worth it. As long as I've taken the time to set enough points, it's never let me down. Plus, it's open source, so it's free! clap.gif
    Elaine wrote:
    It (PSE 5) didn't want to try the Save for Web option
    I'm not sure if PSCS2 is different, but I just ignore the warning about excessively large images in the Save For Web dialog. It's slow, but it works - it's only crashed once on me with a large image.
    Elaine wrote:
    The transition from the first shot to the second is the worst seam. Is it possible to try and salvage such a shot?
    I've taken to using curves layers with a mask: create a curves adjustment layer with the exposure close to correct for the part of the photo which needs fixing (photo 1), and use a *large* gradient mask to blend it at the seam.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
    edited January 7, 2007
    Elaine,
    Elaine wrote:
    I actually did try viewing the Original, and all it did was show a hair's width of something, really tall. There was no picture to see. What did I do wrong?

Your original is still very tall. Maybe you can try to resize the image again so its height is about 600 pixels and then reupload/replace this image? ne_nau.gif
    edited January 7, 2007
    Thank you! I've got the original size to work now! I hope it's OK to post it here. If not, I trust that someone will remove it.

Elaine

121446174-O-1.jpg
    Elaine

edited January 7, 2007
    Elaine,
    Elaine wrote:
    Thank you! I've got the original size to work now! I hope it's OK to post it here. If not, I trust that someone will remove it.
    Elaine

This is quite lovely, actually! Very serene! thumb.gifclap.gif