first attempts...

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited January 10, 2007 in Technique
...at "studio" type shots.

set up some seamless, very basic lighting and gave these a try. what do you think?

#1 is on black seamless, the other two, on white.

121359201-L.jpg
121359217-L.jpg
121359208-L.jpg

Comments

• MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    I like the first and third ones best. The middle one is a bit distracting to me since it has a strong reflection. I like the subtle reflections of the first one and the sharpness of the third.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 6, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    I like the first and third ones best. The middle one is a bit distracting to me since it has a strong reflection. I like the subtle reflections of the first one and the sharpness of the third.

Thanks for looking. This sure was tough to capture with "perfect" light since the crystal tree refracted the light.
  • AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    I like the 2nd one best. It's a much more interesting photo than the other two.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Fun
    Last year I experimented with "studio" lighting using hot lights. Glass is always a challenge. Your best bet is to set up a "light tent" and put your lights outside of the tent. With tripod and timer or remote you are on your way to a lot of fun. Your shadows will be softer too.

Here's a good site with lots of tips on product photography, jewelry and glass, etc.

http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/glass_photography.htm#diffuse

Now that I have a Sunpak 383 flash I need to set up and experiment some more.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    The last one is my favorite...light looks good to me...plus you don't see the dust on the glass. :D
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    I'm inclined to go with the third one since the exposure and colors are great thumb.gif. I don't know what your light setup is like, but maybe add a really small snooted light to give that last one just a handfull of small reflections/refractions for a bit of extra pop.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 10, 2007
    to me, it looks like on the third pic you've done a good job on what can be a difficult shoot, a reflective surface-

I was curious; you said that you did the third one on white-

I thought I would try to use LAB to get the bacground a little closer to white without changing the color of the tree (at least, hopefully, not significantly):

122308949-L.jpg
    edited January 10, 2007
    Andyman wrote:
    I like the 2nd one best. It's a much more interesting photo than the other two.

thanks Andy. I find it festive too.
    edited January 10, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    Last year I experimented with "studio" lighting using hot lights. Glass is always a challenge. Your best bet is to set up a "light tent" and put your lights outside of the tent. With tripod and timer or remote you are on your way to a lot of fun. Your shadows will be softer too.

Here's a good site with lots of tips on product photography, jewelry and glass, etc.

http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/glass_photography.htm#diffuse

Now that I have a Sunpak 383 flash I need to set up and experiment some more.

Thanks Dee. Since I don't own any studio lights this was just an exercise using various lighting sources in the house.

I appreciate the feedback.
    edited January 10, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    The last one is my favorite...light looks good to me...plus you don't see the dust on the glass. :D

Yikes! Ouch! Talk about your double edged sword...

I too like the softness of the last image but that's not dust on the others. Not sure why you think I would photograph a dusty piece of crystal; and it never moved nor was touched during the different shots.

I think what we're seeing as "dust" is micro refractions of light bouncing back on the tree.
    edited January 10, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    I'm inclined to go with the third one since the exposure and colors are great thumb.gif. I don't know what your light setup is like, but maybe add a really small snooted light to give that last one just a handfull of small reflections/refractions for a bit of extra pop.

I think it could use a little pop too and I might be able to do that in post. If successful I might incorporate it into future Christmas cards.

Thanks for looking.
    edited January 10, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    to me, it looks like on the third pic you've done a good job on what can be a difficult shoot, a reflective surface-

I was curious; you said that you did the third one on white-

I thought I would try to use LAB to get the bacground a little closer to white without changing the color of the tree (at least, hopefully, not significantly):

Thanks George. I'll give that a try when I attempt to "pop" the color a little.

I appreciate the feedback. thumb.gif