What's your opinion?

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited January 7, 2007 in People
I'm not really into people photography, don't ask me why, i'd rather deal with animals... or may be i'm not good with capturing people...
Well, here is couple shots i took while on my cruise. I thought they came out OK. Would like to know what you think. :bow

Picture161.jpg

Picture158.jpg
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    First - welcome to DGrin. I think you will come to like it here as much as I do!clap.gif

It would help to know the exif for these photos, but I'll tell you what I see anyway. These are very nice photographs, very colorful and sharp. Your are right, they did come out OK.
    • They need slightly more exposure. It appears that they are about 1/2 - 2/3 stop underexposed - The whites of their costumes appear to be somewhat gray and the faces are a little dark.
    For next time :D : They are a little centered - that is the faces of your subjects are very close to the center of the photographs and with a lot of space above them and without any ankles or feet to walk upon.
      • Maybe backing up a step or two and lowering your camera angle down just a bit to capture all of them, or
      • Get closer to them and make it a 3/4 body shot
      • Recrop them to remove some of the empty space above them.
    • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
      edited January 6, 2007
      Thank you Scott, those pics were taken as a snap shots, while walking around Cozumel. I know they're not the perfect pictures, like i said, i just can't make it with people. headscratch.gif

As far as being centered, i did crop around the photo, there was too much going on on the sides. So, you saying that centered faces are not good?? Laughing.gif. Pardon me ignorance, i'm learning as i go.

I'm not sure how whites can come out whiter, camera was on auto and that's how they came out. Got to learn manual mode i guess. Laughing.gif

Thanks for your honesty, it helps to see mistakes and try to improve them.
      Cheers!thumb.gif

I did crap this a little, and it looks horrible! That bathroom sign drives me crazy!. Photoshop?

Picture161_1.jpg
      Marina
      www.intruecolors.com
      Nikon D700 x2/D300
    • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
      edited January 6, 2007
      I hope you don't mind but I tried a couple of crops myself. I prefer them like this. YMMV
      Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
      edited January 6, 2007
      And this:
      Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
    • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
      edited January 6, 2007
      I like the picture...but you have too many distracting things in the background. Perhaps just a picture of her face would've been better. She has this colorful look about her that I think you should've capture her face instead. JMHO.headscratch.gif
    • Blonde MomentBlonde Moment Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
      edited January 7, 2007
      What is not in the image is just as important as what is in it.

Very good photos except for the background. If you had moved to the left and had as little as possible in the background, especially people walking and watching, they both would be fine.

Happy New Year.
      Mark
      Darwin, Australia
      Nikon D2X, F5, 17-35 AFS f2.8, 50AFD f1.4, 50 AFD f1.8, 85 AFD f1.4, 200 AFS VR f2, SB800, Metz 60-CT1
      http://www.bushwalkingholidays.com.au/html/compare.htm
      http://www.travelnt.com/en/explore/darwin/
      edited January 7, 2007
      salazar wrote:
      And this:

Thank you salazar. I see that you lightened them up a big, they look better. clap.gif
      Marina
      www.intruecolors.com
      Nikon D700 x2/D300
      edited January 7, 2007
      Seneca wrote:
      I like the picture...but you have too many distracting things in the background. Perhaps just a picture of her face would've been better. She has this colorful look about her that I think you should've capture her face instead. JMHO.headscratch.gif

I agree, i was waiting for people to just go away!! Unfortunately, it is a busy place, and i had no time to wait for too long. I'll play with is and see what comes up.
      Thank you!
      Marina
      www.intruecolors.com
      Nikon D700 x2/D300
    • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
      edited January 7, 2007
      ShepsMom wrote:
      I'm not sure how whites can come out whiter, camera was on auto and that's how they came out. Got to learn manual mode i guess. Laughing.gif

No, you don't necessarily need to learn manual mode, though using manual mode can give you a better appreciation for your images and may make them better.

To answer the question:
      Cameras are stupid when left on their own. They see everything as shades of gray and their favorite shade is 18% gray. And, they like to translate everything they see to this shade. What has happened here is the camera saw some very bright white and said to itself, "That can't be right, let me reduce the exposure so that it makes sense."

The white clothing measures about 2/3 to 1 stop above medium gray, so the clothing looks like it's not ever seen bleach.

You need to counter the computer in your camera, you simply dial in 1/3 to 1 stop of exposure compensation (EC). This tells the camera to take a measurement, then increase the exposure by the EC amount. And the result? You get (just like in the old laundry detergent commercials) whiter whites!

The same rule applies when taking photographs in brightly lit snow or on beaches or anywhere the light is naturally brighter than "normal."
      edited January 7, 2007
      Thank you Scott! I'm learning, every bit of info is helpful. :D
      Marina
      www.intruecolors.com
      Nikon D700 x2/D300