Anya (5+2img)

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited January 9, 2007 in People
Priviet (in Russian Hello), dear GDiners!
Not so long ago I've met Anya - my 2005 model (I met her on a street first time, attracted by her coiffure).
And she agreed to make some photos. I'm learning how to use flash lights as you know - so :
4398.jpg
4397.jpg
4396.jpg
4395.jpg
4394.jpg

Your critique and comments, dear friends.
This time I couldn't show her beautiful eyes as I wanted to do.
I find natural light more appropriate (she has ultramarine eyes, with such a 'solar eclipse' effect!!!) for this...

And here's her 2005 photos:
3061.jpg
3059.jpg

Spasibo,
Yuri

Comments

• kathynmegkathynmeg Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    These are very beautiful!! These studio shots are very nice for someone just learning. The skin tones are looking as though they are right on. I have trouble with skin tones in studio. I like you am just learning to using lighting in the studio but I prefer outdoor shooting. Your 2005 pictures are amazing!!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Yuri-

Your technique and style have certainly improved from 2005. But (the big but), the 2007 shots has this very distracting rectangular catchlight in Anya's eyes. A touch of Photoshop (or equal) would be helpful.

Best to you in 2007.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    OK, I'll probably be the odd one out but I still prefer the 2005 street portraits of her than the 2007 studio ones.

There are two separate reasons for my preference:
    1. Anya was a more interesting person to photograph then (she is still beautiful but now she is one of many 20 something, where before her hair made her a "character")

2. The studio photos are polished and technically superior but for me they are less expressive. From the old photos I can read uncertainty of "accidentally" met photographer, while the new photos have this "smile" of a commercial effort.

Yuri, don't get me wrong the light and colour are far better but I think you will miss your street efforts for their raw nature. If you are moving into commercial photography you are on the right path.

PS: your background looks very gray, I am not sure that benefits the photos.
  • Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    OK, I'll probably be the odd one out but I still prefer the 2005 street portraits of her than the 2007 studio ones.

There are two separate reasons for my preference:
    1. Anya was a more interesting person to photograph then (she is still beautiful but now she is one of many 20 something, where before her hair made her a "character")

2. The studio photos are polished and technically superior but for me they are less expressive. From the old photos I can read uncertainty of "accidentally" met photographer, while the new photos have this "smile" of a commercial effort.

Yuri, don't get me wrong the light and colour are far better but I think you will miss your street efforts for their raw nature. If you are moving into commercial photography you are on the right path.

PS: your background looks very gray, I am not sure that benefits the photos.

I disagree with Ted on this one. The 2005 portraits are good, but I prefer the 2007 ones. I don't find issue with the color of the background at all, and I like the way she has matured. She is a beautiful young woman, and the photos are well done. There is something "sexier" about Anya in the latest images that she didn't have in the '05 images.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Excellent as always!clap.gif
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Very nice Yuri. I remember the 2005 photos and seem to recall commenting that she didn't look happy. In the 2007 photos she seems much happier and more self-composed. You're getting the hang of the artificial lighting!
  • cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    I rather like the large catchlights in her eyes. They bring the viewer right to her eyes, which I think is her best feature.
    SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
    Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Yuri,
    Great photos as usual....BUUUUUT.....even thos the studio shots as polised as ever...I do not like the rectangle catch lights...I prefer round umrellas or round softboxes to rectangle ones....I would use rectangle in a commmerical non people shoot...ie....in-animate product photography..such as food, computers, toys, glass ware...etc.....
    I just like the round or octaganal catch lites in eyes better.

Fantastic shots anyway...we all have our preferences....like I really like black backgrounds lit up by strong strobes and bright colored gels as in ths business card HERE ... background was a roll of Savage Thunder Grey seamless paper,,,,using 4 Paul C Buff White Lightening 5000's... back lights were geled with I believe BASTARD AMBER...both rotated to cast light on models hair as well as the background....and 1 done with magenta gels HERE this is just my preference....

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Thank you, dear
    friends for your commnets and critique!
    Very helpful - spasibo!
    Yuri
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    I tend to agree with Art. Round Catchlights! Yuri, where do you find all the beautiful models? Am I going to have to move to Russia? Your work is always fantistic and I always look forward to seeing more of your work.
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    JESTER wrote:
    I tend to agree with Art. Round Catchlights! Yuri, where do you find all the beautiful models? Am I going to have to move to Russia? Your work is always fantistic and I always look forward to seeing more of your work.

Oh, Jester!
    They are just around us!
    Yes, I think that time has come to move to Voronezh. :-)
    Spasibo for your kindest words!
    Yuri