my model gallery

cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited January 7, 2007 in People
guys, I need a straight shot from the reality machine. I can't seem to get an honest evaluation of my work anywhere. So I'd like to ask anyone that has 5 minutes to spare to hit me with their hardest, no-holds-barred critique of my "Model Gallery". I need to know where I'm at. Rate me on a scale of 1 - 10 and don't hold back. If my work is crap, call it crap. Or worse, if I'm average, tell me I'm average. *shudder* And vice versa. I won't hate you, I'll even thank you! All I ask is if you tell me I'm a 5 or lower, let me know why you think that. Okay! Use the direct link below. **hands out whips**

http://cdhames.smugmug.com/People
SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Hey cdhames,
    I'll bat firstmwink.gif
    Took a look at the people shots and a quick glance at landscapes.
    I would put you at around a 6-7.
    Good use of light in all pix (except two of the silhouettes - too dark). Nice sharpness and color.
    Crops are a bit tight on some shots - cutting off too close to a hand or the bottom of a shoe.
    Horizons tilted on several of Christine's shots.
    I think the most useful thing I can say though is that a lot of the models have very blank expressions. There's little emotion behind most of the looks and that comes down to the model and the photographer sharing responsibility. More specifically, almost all of Christine's looks lack any depth. A few of Shelai's have intimacy (7857).
    So I think working on getting the most out of the models is the next step in your development.
    As a caveat, this is coming from a guy whose portrait work is limited to his 14 month old son who does not take direction and, therefore, makes my role more of a documentor of his life than a director of his poses and looks.
    Hope this helps!
    E
    cdhames wrote:
    guys, I need a straight shot from the reality machine. I can't seem to get an honest evaluation of my work anywhere. So I'd like to ask anyone that has 5 minutes to spare to hit me with their hardest, no-holds-barred critique of my "Model Gallery". I need to know where I'm at. Rate me on a scale of 1 - 10 and don't hold back. If my work is crap, call it crap. Or worse, if I'm average, tell me I'm average. *shudder* And vice versa. I won't hate you, I'll even thank you! All I ask is if you tell me I'm a 5 or lower, let me know why you think that. Okay! Use the direct link below. **hands out whips**

http://cdhames.smugmug.com/People
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    CD,

The Whipping Post is for single images. I'm moving this thread to People. You'll also find that asking for critique on a whole gallery you're not going to get a very big response....it's just a lot to ask for people to provide meaningful critique on an entire gallery of work. Whether in the Whipping Post or elsewhere, you're better off choosing one or a few images for critique.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Thanks Dave. I'll keep that in mind next time. I wanted a broad critique on my work, to see if there are negative patterns I am falling into across shoots, that I should watch out for.

Eoren1 - Thanks for the comments. Much, if not all of what you said I agree with.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Ok first of all I hate you for letting me click on these pictures when I am trying to go on this crazy diet. :D Hahaha just kidding, actually it's a motivator so I can look like this before April! Ok so back to your thread...I think the pictures are better than average, ok...wait...no I think they're great...not excellent...but nonetheless very very good.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    OK, you asked for it!
    For commercial work, I'm thinking the examples you have provided put you somewhere in the middle of the pack. I've seen lots worse and I've seen many that are better (I'm in the first group BTW). In most of the images, you have failed to capture any emotion or personality or anything that shows your models to be alive.

Specific comments:

Jacklyn - none but the last three do anything for me. They aren't special or exceptional.
    _MG_8124 - you have good composition, but her face is not focused, focus point seems to be the post at her shoulder.
    _MG_8052 - this really works as a portriat. Nice smile, in focus, etc. Color balance might be off a bit though
    _MG_8181, _MG_8183 - I love these two. Very nice, sensual, almost erotic.

Shelai -
    _MG_8026b&w and _MG_8035b&w - I really like these, the second more than the first. The B&W works well and the composition is dynamite (do they still say that?).

Christine West - You need to pay more attention to backgrounds. Lines through the head - not cool. In those where it should be, get the horizon horizontal.
    _MG_7595 - The wrong leg is lifted. Up-skirts are not cool.

Stacy Lynn
    The lighting here, in all cases, seems to be excellent. At least, I like it. The first of her sets is probably the best in that you were able to elicit and capture some personality! Very well done.
  • cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    seneca - Thanks for your positive words

scott - Thanks for the indepth critique. Getting more than DITH out of my models is something I've been continually working on. I'm not sure how to jumpstart personality yet, but I will definitely spend more time motivating them for the better shot.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    cdhames wrote:
    seneca - Thanks for your positive words

scott - Thanks for the indepth critique. Getting more than DITH out of my models is something I've been continually working on. I'm not sure how to jumpstart personality yet, but I will definitely spend more time motivating them for the better shot.
    Jokes work well. Funny stories. Questions about them, if not too personal can allow the models to open up a little bit.

Depending on the mood you're trying to set, sad stories work well. I have one about a very little kitten I found in an industrial area. Wondering around, half starved, ...

Bottom line, you have to get to know them, and them you - you need to make yourself a little vulnerable during the shoot as they may be feeling very much so.