Canon 100-400 trial run

RMaysRMays Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 16, 2007 in Cameras
I rented this lens today with high hopes.
1. Should've taken the garbage promaster uv filter off.
2. There was a lot of dust in this lens !
3. Push pull not bad, but tension ring... Well, didn't like it.

Got home and loaded a hundred or so shots. (Eagles & Hawks)

These pictures stunk ! I guess I'm spoiled on the 70-200 f/2.8 L.

Just not crisp. I really want a good bird lens. Anyone want to stand up for this product ? Did I use a lemon ? Suggest another ? I have heard such good things about this lens.
Here is sample: 1/500 f/5.6 400mm

IMG_2327-4x6.jpg

Thanks in advance.

RMays

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    A picture speaks a thousand words.....one would be nice.ne_nau.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • RMaysRMays Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    A picture speaks a thousand words.....one would be nice.ne_nau.gif

I should know better. Edited post. I noticed you have the 300 f/4.

Like ???
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    I think you might have gotten a lemon. All of the photos I've seen shot with that lens look a lot better than what you have posted. Cheap filters also degrade image quality. Although the photo you potsed looks very odd, almost like it's pixelated.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    RMays wrote:
    I really want a good bird lens.

try the Canon 400 mm f/5.6. the IQ of the 100-400 has been inconsistent to say the least over the past few years. There is also a learning curve with this lens that can not be mastered in one day. The lens also "suffers" from an old version of IS. Now that said, there are people who get a "sharp" copy and the results are spectacular! IMHO, we shouldnt have to pay $1399.00 to take a chance on getting a "good copy". The newer 100-400's ( made recently ) seem to be more consistent in terms of IQ. All said - try the canon 400 f/5.6.... you'll like it ! Guaranteed!!

troy
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    RMays wrote:
    I should know better. Edited post. I noticed you have the 300 f/4.

Like ???

I do like my 300 f/4. Someday I hope to have a 500. Until then I get by with my 300 and a 2x tc, or my buddies 1.4tc.

If I had to guess, on the shot you posted, (thanks btw), I'd say the filter may be the cause of that "ghosting"...or chromatic aberattion you see there.

A crappy filter will ruin a good lens. No need for a UV filter when shooting wildlife anyway. I only use one when I'm in fear of a bit of dirt or something being thrown at when shooting motocross....kind of cheap insurance. I doubt a bird will fly into the lens and shatter it, so a lens hood should be enough.

You have the 100-400 for more than 1-day?
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    I'm thinking you got a not so good copy. The one I had rented also gave me the eek7.gif feeling. I haven't the time nor the funds to buy multiple copies and test them out as others I know have, $1400+/- should get you something that's sorted. Even at the long end like you were shooting should have better results IMO.

To bad, otherwise it would have been a really great shot. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good shot.

Here's a link to see what you can get with a proper copy.

Click me.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Is there anything in particular that distinguishes a "good copy" from a "bad copy"? Serial numbers? Years? Was considerring picking one up before I do some trekking.. and it's more or less right on what I want/need.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Mebbe you got a lemon
    Over the last 16 months I used (rather extensively) two copies of this lens: first, my boss' (didn't have the $$ at the time), and, recently, my own. mwink.gif

And while I agree that the image you posted looks, mm, substandard, I never (i.e. NEVER:-) got anything remotely bad. ne_nau.gif

I do understand that it's not a prime, and it's rather short for any serious birding, but for what I'm using it (events) it's an awesome lens with a great reach and flexibility (let alone IS rocks:-). thumb.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited January 7, 2007
    Thanks for the input guys. I want the same sharpness of 70-200 L. Just looking at the dust in the 100-400 lens turned me off. I'll try the 400 5.6 next.
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    RMays wrote:
    Thanks for the input guys. I want the same sharpness of 70-200 L. Just looking at the dust in the 100-400 lens turned me off. I'll try the 400 5.6 next.

FYI, the canon 400 f/5.6 is practically if not sharper wide open as it is closed down. that said you can get some sweet bokeh...
    good luck with it!

troy
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Have seen some super shots with the 100-400, there does seem to be some QC problems from what I have read.

Interesting comparison between the 400 f5.6 and the 100-400

http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/forgotten-400.shtml

I have the 400 f5.6 L love it! Does need good light or a tripod/monopod. Fast, dead on AF, a bit of a learning curve as Troy said.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    I think you had either a bad copy, or perhaps you weren't using a tripod????

Here is one taken at 330mm, handheld:

63528788-L-1.jpg
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    I'll speak in favor with the lens, I bought that lens for birding and apart from being a little slow at times in focusing the shots have always come out absolutely tack sharp. I've also thrown a 2x tele on it and after slight USM in photoshop I was very impressed with the results there too.

http://mushy.smugmug.com/gallery/1401672

Most of the shots in here are shot with this lens.
    May I take your picture?
    edited January 11, 2007
    Thanks for all the input. I have seen mighty fine pictures from the 100-400, but I must go for the prime. Wish I had the bucks for more of a lens. Wife threatens to get another dog if I get another lens. I'll be sure to post some pics. Here's one of Sam shot with 70-200 + 1.4. The kind of sharp I'm looking for.
    IMG_1378.jpg
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    RMays wrote:

I got some good pics with my 100-400 and regretted having to take it back... till I got the 70-200. :)
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited January 14, 2007
    Just clicked the order button on the 400 f/5.6 L ! It was a grooling decision. Thanks for all the input. Weather permitting, I'll post some pics next Friday. :D
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 16, 2007
    The 400 f/5.6 is an excellent lens. I sold my 100-400L for it and now have the 100-400L again. The prime is great but the versatility of the zoom outways it.

You will be amazed what you can shoot with the 400L handheld. mwink.gif

Dan