A little Help???

jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited January 11, 2007 in Finishing School
I have this image I really like...but I want to make it better, I am looking for a little help with suggestions, and/or directions....to make this better.
I have tried B&W, and it doesnt do it for me....Please Help!:D
121485542-L.jpg

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Hi Joey,

I thought a simple contrast boost would do the trick, but it washed out the sky. I wound up doing:
    1. Selected the sky
    2. Copied it to a new layer
    3. Darkened the new "sky" layer using levels
    4. Ran a slight 'S' shaped curve to the bottom (original layer) to provide a touch more contrast in the building
    This was very quick and very dirty, so with a bit more effort I'm sure it could look a lot better:
    122214135-M.jpg
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    One done in LAB
    jmaccs64 wrote:
    I have this image I really like...but I want to make it better, I am looking for a little help with suggestions, and/or directions....to make this better.
    Here's a LAB example:
    • Convert to LAB mode
    • Apply an L-curve to the sky to darken it. Isolate the sky with a blend-if setting since the sky is the only area of the image that is negative in the B channel
    • Apply an L-curve to the building to add contrast and separate the different tones in the building. Again, isolate it from the sky using the opposite blend-if settings from the sky isolation.
    • Steepen the A and B channels to pry the colors apart in the building to add emphasis to the brickwork.
    • Blend with the original to your own taste. I left it a bit exaggerated here, but you could tone it down if you wanted.
    • Flatten and convert back to RGB
    122241557-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    WOW Thanks...guys...
    I really appreciate your help, now I just have to figure out how to do all the things you guys mentioned!