Options

Today

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited February 15, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
I dont know about where you live but here in North West Ohio this morning was nice bright and relatively warm. If you are like me at all, you tooks some shots today. Lets see the best you got TODAY.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I dont know about where you live but here in North West Ohio this morning was nice bright and relatively warm. If you are like me at all, you tooks some shots today. Lets see the best you got TODAY.
    I like that thumb.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2004
    very very nice, G.

Sorry...I didn't push the shutter release once today. Took the boy out shopping for models (he's working on an F16 right now). Also upgraded my puter to usb2.0 and added an 80gb external drive for backups. Thanks to kbasa for helping suggest the right setup.

now...it's SNPA time thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 14, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Beautiful shot of dawn colors

I have been playing with B&W converisons - I think I am getting some progress - It is amazing how much better some pictures are in B&W than they are in color - for example

Here it is in color

1616432-L-4.jpg

Here is what I did tonight ....

2401627-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2004
    Here is another example - maybe a better one I stil like the faint color around the buggy

1667186-L.jpg

and in B&W2400270-L.jpg

• Options
    edited February 14, 2004
    Here are two images that I did not even work with in color - they just did not seem interesting - but in B&W I think they might have something. Anyone agree or disagree?

Hoar frost December 20th 20032399122-L.jpg

The underside of a bridge.....

2400271-L.jpg

• Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Very much agree...they are great. I like the flowers better but the bridge is still up there.

How do you put that sig on the bottom of your photos PF ? It isnt intrusive like others ive seen.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    Love the B & W, the buggy does look better and I really like the flowers/weeds/whatever. I have taken a bunch of similar subjects strongly backlit but have never really cared for them, maybe I will try them in B & W and see how they look.

Nice stuff.
  • Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    The black and white really adds something to those pictures, except for the first one - I like the color. There is something really powerfull in certain b&w pics.

Hutch
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    Great thread. I think changing the covered bridge shot completely transforms it for the better. Now there's harmony between the hoof prints in the white snow, with a slight shadow in them, and the black and white bridge. It makes a much, much more powerful statement, IMHO. thumb.gif

Personally, I also think the weeds are excellent. The bridge shot below it is kinda lost on me, I'm afraid. Sorry. :flush
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    kbasakbasa Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    We went into SF for Deem Sum today.

2403756-M.jpg
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    We went for a walk and came across a wedding taking place on the waterfront.

2403793-M-2.jpg
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    I took this one yesterday. Does that count?

2404275-M.jpg
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Hey, that's a really good shot, that last one. nod.gif I crave good Dim Sum, impossible to find here. In fact, most restaurant suck here. :cry
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Very much agree...they are great. I like the flowers better but the bridge is still up there.

How do you put that sig on the bottom of your photos PF ? It isnt intrusive like others ive seen.
    I type it in with the text tool after putting in the drop shadow - In color pictures I frequently use a color in the picture - but in B&W I use black or white The font can be chosen in the text tool also. When you are ready to put your John Henry down, Humongous, just hit the 'T" key and the text tool pops up in Photoshop. From there it is just typing - If you hold down he control-key you can then drag the text whereever you want it. Give it a whirl - I saw you mastered drop shadows - text is much simplersmooch.gif

• Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hey, that's a really good shot, that last one. nod.gif I crave good Dim Sum, impossible to find here. In fact, most restaurant suck here. :cry
    Thanks. I've started packing my camera in my computer bag. When I get to a meeting, I try and take a picture out of the window. I've got a few and I thought that one looked pretty grim.

I like this one too, though it looks kind of post card-ish and has a big reflection from an overhead light on the upper left. Boo..

2404273-L.jpg
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

OI !! its 'DIM SIM'

Now im stuck on big letters ...good one waxy ! umph.gif
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Tuckus, dim sum... rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif Tasty treats, no matter what. That's three different spellings in this thread alone. FWIW, I know I've seen it written my way... damn Chinese. :hang
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    kbasa wrote:
    Thanks. I've started packing my camera in my computer bag. When I get to a meeting, I try and take a picture out of the window. I've got a few and I thought that one looked pretty grim.
    Great idea, and the S400 is the perfect camera for that. Nice shot of the bay bridge, but I see what you mean about the reflection. Not to hijack, but I've run into that meself.

2405057-M.jpg

I really do think your street scene is a terrific shot. The space makes such a strong statement about loneliness, I think.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    I hope you don't mind... my name is wxwax and I'm a Compulsive Cropper.

2405090-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    OI !! its 'DIM SIM'

Now im stuck on big letters ...good one waxy ! umph.gif
    They actually spelled it Deem Sum on the menu. ne_nau.gif
    What's this button do?
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I hope you don't mind... my name is wxwax and I'm a Compulsive Cropper.

2405090-L.jpg
    Thanks, man. I like that one a lot.
    What's this button do?