For you Nikonians

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited January 8, 2007 in Cameras
Read an article about this guy in the latest edition of Popular Photography. He's shooting a D2x, D2xs and a D200...and he's got an $11 million dollar per year photo business selling ONLY his photos in 16 stores he owns himself! I'd call that successful.

http://www.mangelsen.com/

Wouldn't it be nice to be that well off in the photo biz? I think he's based out in Jackson, Wyoming. That would be great too...lots of subjects right outide your door :D.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 6, 2007
    kygarden wrote:
    Read an article about this guy in the latest edition of Popular Photography. He's shooting a D2x, D2xs and a D200...and he's got an $11 million dollar per year photo business selling ONLY his photos in 16 stores he owns himself! I'd call that successful.

http://www.mangelsen.com/

Wouldn't it be nice to be that well off in the photo biz? I think he's based out in Jackson, Wyoming. That would be great too...lots of subjects right outide your door :D.
    Just think how much he could be making using Canon equipment? rolleyes1.gif

ziggy53 (Just call me "Mr. Trouble")
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 6, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    (Just call me "Mr. Trouble")
    Hey Mr Trouble,
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    photography store...
    We visit his store in our town occasionally and buy a little something. His larger photographs are fairly expensive and very nice. His photos feature a lot of African nature.

His artist statement, the last I knew, said that he worked in film only. Guess that has changed.
    edited January 6, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Just think how much he could be making using Canon equipment? rolleyes1.gif

ziggy53 (Just call me "Mr. Trouble")

Ooops, I forgot! Canon shooters spend $11 Million a year on those cute "L" lenses and such. (Wait just a second, I resemble that remark.)mwink.gif

ziggy53 (Just call me "Double Trouble")
    ziggy53
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Thanks for the link, almost made me grab the ol' Amex on a few shots.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    steveL wrote:
    His artist statement, the last I knew, said that he worked in film only. Guess that has changed.

Yeah, could be he's switched over. The article said those were the 3 cameras he's using.
    edited January 7, 2007
    I hope everyone understands that I really do appreciate Nikon cameras and lenses.

The D2X and D2Xs are the only true dual-personality cameras in production, extremely competent as both a fast shooting 12MP professional dSLR, and an even faster shooting "High-Speed Crop" mode.

The Nikon lenses are to die for, with a very sweet 8mm fisheye, a 200mm, f2 tele (that's still in production), and a bunch of long telephotos that are just superb for wildlife.

While I might poke some fun at Nikon and Nikon shooters, part of that is driven by envy.

Besides Tom Mangelsen, I believe Howard Buffet is also a Nikon shooter, and I think he can afford whatever equipment he might want.

http://www.buffettimages.com/

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited January 7, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I hope everyone understands that I really do appreciate Nikon cameras and lenses.

I knew you were just playing when you joked earlier in the thread. No problem mwink.gif
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    I've been in at least 2 of his galleries. I have his "bad boys of the arctic" mousepad right here. (polar bears hanging out looking fat and happy.)

This guy has some great shots. I talked to him shortly before the sundance film festival at his park city store last year. He told me, and I quote: "It'll be a cold day in hell when I shoot digital." Ha! Well I guess his wife was tired of all the chemicals, as she did all the developing (in color!). So to be fair, he is only half the team.

His most famous shot is the grizzly in a stream about ready to chomp down on a salmon thats in mid air - he told me he had to shoot 8000 frames to get that one on film - he could have captured it the first shot or the last shot and he wouldn't have known as it was on film! 8 days camping by that stream shooting nothing but grizzlies eating fish - that is dedication right there.
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    SCS_Photo wrote:
    His most famous shot is the grizzly in a stream about ready to chomp down on a salmon thats in mid air - he told me he had to shoot 8000 frames to get that one on film - he could have captured it the first shot or the last shot and he wouldn't have known as it was on film! 8 days camping by that stream shooting nothing but grizzlies eating fish - that is dedication right there.

Sign me up! thumb.gif

{Two great loves - the outdoors and photog. However the need to pay my mortgage and keep the rug-rat in diapers makes taking such chances difficult at the moment. Gotta admire the Pro's for making a living at it bowdown.gif }
    --Kres
    edited January 7, 2007
    SCS_Photo wrote:
    His most famous shot is the grizzly in a stream about ready to chomp down on a salmon thats in mid air - he told me he had to shoot 8000 frames to get that one on film - he could have captured it the first shot or the last shot and he wouldn't have known as it was on film!

Yeah that's one of the drawbacks I could see to film...not being able to KNOW if you got what you were after until you developed the film. I'm sure digital will only get better and better. I can't wait :) I'm looking for the day when digital will have the dynamic range of the human eye. Now THAT will be cool!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Wow Beautiful photos
    thanks for sharing
    But still won't buy Nikon :D
    Even i got those cameras i cannot make photos like him
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited January 7, 2007
    SCS_Photo wrote:

This one maybe:

http://www.art.com/asp/sp-asp/_/PD--10008102/SP--A/IGID--788467/Catch_of_the_Day.htm?sOrig=CRT&sOrigId=1414&ui=1AB9F6E4A2084A0A9C772E22BAAC76D1

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Hey that guy is from Nebraska. Great to see a fellow Nebraskan making quite a success out of his photography!
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    The camera makes the photographer. So, i think im in the some class as him. rolleyes1.gif