Options

Time for a new Backpack, need your thoughts

ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
edited January 14, 2005 in Accessories
I usually carry a shoulder bag, but I'm in need of a backpack for this summer.

I currently have a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II but it's just too big and bulky for my tastes.

What I need is a bag to carry is

1DMKII w/ 100-400 attached
3/4 lenses
Flash
Batteries,filters, etc..

Any help or opinions would be appreciated, even warnings of what not to buy.

Thanks,
Ed

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    i have to recommend a bag from crumpler i started with the shrinkle, but it's not ideal for the larger body, and so i upgreaded to the farmer's double...

it's very very cool. i posted about it here

i just traveled to london for a week with it, it holds my laptop, a novel, my camera, 70-200L, 16-35L, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 580ex... and papers, folders, etc etc

i really can't say enough about the quality, ed. and, as someone who's had back surgery, i'm *very* fussy about backpacks... this feels like a dream.

hth,
    ehughes wrote:

I currently have a Lowepro Photo Trecker AW II but it's just too big and bulky for my tastes.

3/4 lenses
    Flash
    Batteries,filters, etc..

Thanks,
    Ed
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i have to recommend a bag from crumpler i started with the shrinkle, but it's not ideal for the larger body, and so i upgreaded to the farmer's double...

it's very very cool. i posted about it here

i just traveled to london for a week with it, it holds my laptop, a novel, my camera, 70-200L, 16-35L, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 580ex... and papers, folders, etc etc

i really can't say enough about the quality, ed. and, as someone who's had back surgery, i'm *very* fussy about backpacks... this feels like a dream.

hth,

I'm about to pull the trigger on my 3rd crumpler bag, but do have one last question. Can you mount a tripod onto the shrinkle or farmers double?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm about to pull the trigger on my 3rd crumpler bag, but do have one last question. Can you mount a tripod onto the shrinkle or farmers double?

Thanks,
    Dave

Never mind the last question Andy. I just realized I have the Farmers Double :D I don't see a good way to mount a tripod.

Dave
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 9, 2005
    ehughes wrote:

I currently have a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II but it's just too big and bulky for my tastes.

3/4 lenses
    Flash
    Batteries,filters, etc..

Thanks,
    Ed
    I'm currently carrying about that in Nature Trekker AWII. It's an OK
    backpack as far as getting lots of stuff into it. It could be more
    comfortable with regard to the straps. Since I don't use the waist strap,
    I want to keep it buckled and behind me. But it's bulk is annoying. Also,
    the bungie cords catch on things (they're too long and don't have a
    great place to stow them when they're not in use).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Here is a site that has pictures of a lot of different photo bags. It was put together by a Nikon D70 user, so just remember the body size is a lot smaller than yours. Anyway, it should give you a good idea.

http://www.asvd07.dsl.pipex.com/d70bags.htm

How many replies can I make to the same thread? ne_nau.gif

One of these days i'll collect my thoughts

Dave
  • Options
    TrevenTreven Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    I have the Delsey Pro Digital 33.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=280482&is=REG
    It has room for my 828, w/a lens, flash, all my filters & odds & ends stuff; plus my laptop (and probably a change of clothes if I really tried. As the pix shows, you can add your tripod to the side. I carry my Manfrotto on the side. I've had it for a few months and am quite pleased with it. There is also a smaller one, the Pro Digital 31.
    ehughes wrote:

3/4 lenses
    Flash
    Batteries,filters, etc..

Thanks,
    Ed
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Thanks for the help everyone, I'm probably going to go with a crumpler, not sure which size yet