pakrupakru Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited January 14, 2007 in Technique

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    pakru wrote:
    Comments welcome :D

http://sripri.smugmug.com

Hi Pakru, I am no expert at B&W by any means, so I hope someone who knows more about reply's to your post.

The image you've posted looks more grey tones than Black and White, it also looks dull rather than crisp and sharp looking. headscratch.gif

Can you post the colour image you were using to attempt your B&W conversion ???? ..... I'm sure someone can help you out ........ Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    I think it's a good start. You got one of the more difficult parts: the sky. There's cloud detail & the sky itself didn't blow to white.

However, like Skippy, I'd like to see more contrast. IMHO, you need to concentrate on boosing contrast in the tree to help it pop more.
  • Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Like was said, it needs more definition and contrast:

I would do two passes on it, one with Levels and one with Curves.

Open your Levels tool and make sure your ranges for dark and light are correct (pull the sliders on each side to the edge of the histogram).

Next open curves. Just to give you an idea of how this works, grab the center of the curve line and push it up and to the left then grab the bottome 1/4 of the line and pull it down and to the right. This will boost overall contrast. This is very general but once you try it you will get the idea.

The Unsharp Mask can be used to pop B&W shots also if you dont over do it. (try 60% & 5-20)
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Pakru, I am no expert at B&W by any means, so I hope someone who knows more about reply's to your post.

The image you've posted looks more grey tones than Black and White, it also looks dull rather than crisp and sharp looking. headscratch.gif

Can you post the colour image you were using to attempt your B&W conversion ???? ..... I'm sure someone can help you out ........ Skippy :D

15524779-Ti.gif 100% with Skipster!
    But then again.....when it comes to BW....I cheat with Plug-in's. rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • pakrupakru Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    Thanks for your comments. I am posting the original as well as a more contrasty B/W (after adjusting levels and curves). This was taken with an old 2MP handheld

Original:
    IMG_1083 copy.jpg

- Visit my smugmug gallery : http://sripri.smugmug.com
    edited January 9, 2007
    After some levels and curves

Lone Tree BW copy.jpg

• SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    I think this photo needs to pop with more b & w definition. I would e use
    b & w gradient map and unsharp mask to make it happen.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Figured I'd give it a shot :D. I ran the image through some LAB adjustments (to expand the color range in the sky), converted it back to RGB, and applied three masked curves layers (one of which was a hard light high-contrast layer which I hand-painted into the tree in areas which would give it a more 3D look), and finally used channel mixer with a mostly-red blend. I started running into JPEG compression artifacts, unfortunately, but the original image shouldn't have an issue.

IMG_1083-revised.jpg?g2_itemId=1594&g2_serialNumber=2
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Figured I'd give it a shot :D. I ran the image through some LAB adjustments (to expand the color range in the sky), converted it back to RGB, and applied three masked curves layers (one of which was a hard light high-contrast layer which I hand-painted into the tree in areas which would give it a more 3D look), and finally used channel mixer with a mostly-red blend. I started running into JPEG compression artifacts, unfortunately, but the original image shouldn't have an issue.

IMG_1083-revised.jpg?g2_itemId=1594&g2_serialNumber=2

This is the type of conversion I envisioned this image should be when I looked at the original. Sky's look dark in your red channel so give that one a boost when mixing colors in your conversion and get rid of all the blue data. Just use the green to clean up the sky if it gets too noisy.

Pakru,

In B&W images a dark sky will generally look more dramatic. Also, the sky is a backdrop to the real subject: the tree. You need to make the tree standout which is why it needs to have the right contrast. Next time use flash to fill in the shadows on the tree and make it stand out more.

Erich
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    There are many ways, but when I see a deep blue sky like that, I go for the moody blacks. I did this very quickly, and if this was shot in RAW I could make it look better and without pixelation.

Anyway, I boosted the blues even more via LAB and used the red channel in the channel mixer and then sharpened some. If I would of taken my time with the orginal, I would of done some dodging work on the tree also.

122647738-L-1.jpg
    edited January 14, 2007
    Thanks to all of you for the very good feedback. I will be trying out these suggestions. I will post again when its done.

Thanks again for helping me learn B/W conversion

Pakru