protection from right-click download?

marieboyermarieboyer Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited January 7, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am considering upgrading to the pro level mainly for this feature. I have been told, however, that anyone who is at all computer savvy (I am not) can download someone's photo on a pro-smugmug account even when that feature is enabled.

If this is accurate then I obviously do not want to pay for the feature. Do you know the answer? How air tight is this feature in the pro smugmug?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    marieboyer wrote:
    I am considering upgrading to the pro level mainly for this feature. I have been told, however, that anyone who is at all computer savvy (I am not) can download someone's photo on a pro-smugmug account even when that feature is enabled.

If this is accurate then I obviously do not want to pay for the feature. Do you know the answer? How air tight is this feature in the pro smugmug?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered.
    Hi Marie,

There have been several threads on it here, you can use the search (see top of the page) to find them.

It is possible to bypass this feature, allthough the average joe does not know how to. If you want to secure your photos, I think best thing to do is use a combination of right-click protect and watermark, blocking the originals (and possibly larges)

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.
  • marieboyermarieboyer Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Marie,

There have been several threads on it here, you can use the search (see top of the page) to find them.

It is possible to bypass this feature, allthough the average joe does not know how to. If you want to secure your photos, I think best thing to do is use a combination of right-click protect and watermark, blocking the originals (and possibly larges)

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks Ivar. I do not want to use the watermark feature because I use smugmug as a backup for all my original photos. I do not want to put a watermark on the photos and then upload them. I am not a pro photographer; I just want to protect privacy of folks whose photos I do take. Unless I am missing something about watermarking within smugmug, I would not be uploading and then backing up my originals? Again, thanks for your instant help.
    edited January 7, 2007
    marieboyer wrote:
    Thanks Ivar. I do not want to use the watermark feature because I use smugmug as a backup for all my original photos. I do not want to put a watermark on the photos and then upload them. I am not a pro photographer; I just want to protect privacy of folks whose photos I do take. Unless I am missing something about watermarking within smugmug, I would not be uploading and then backing up my originals? Again, thanks for your instant help.
    Nonono, I was referring to the SmugMug watermarking, not the kind you do yourself in PhotoShop or something. We don't touch your originals. If you download them again or print from them, the watermark doesn't show up.
  • marieboyermarieboyer Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Nonono, I was referring to the SmugMug watermarking, not the kind you do yourself in PhotoShop or something. We don't touch your originals. If you download them again or print from them, the watermark doesn't show up.

Okay, that is the single best thing I have learned in 2007! Thanks for taking the time to clarify that for me! I am very grateful!!!!!! yesyesyes
    edited January 7, 2007
    marieboyer wrote:
    Okay, that is the single best thing I have learned in 2007! Thanks for taking the time to clarify that for me! I am very grateful!!!!!! yesyesyes
    You're welcome.

ivar wrote:
    nonono
    marieboyer wrote:
    yesyesyes
    For some reason this is funny to me :D