Options

Ch30 Greaper

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited January 24, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
First try at it.

13922338-L.jpg

This is not eligible as it was shot before the challenge period. I also screwed up and put 2004 on it, but they were shot in 2005, my first date mistake of the new year.
:bash

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    atta way, greaps :D

nice.

remember, the challenge starts at 12:01 monday, right...
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    Dohh....

I didn't read it, I just saw you had posted the challenge thread so I figured it was fair game.

Oh well, I shot the shots for the shots and making the pic was fun, maybe what people say about it will help me or someone else.
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    That's beautiful! I sure miss the snow...

The only thing that bugs me a little is the third photo. Maybe flip it so it draws your eye back to the center and not off the page. (so the "gutter" is on the left side of the photo and not the right)

Those photos are really amazing though! Well done! clap.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    Gees Greaper...
    GREAPER wrote:
    First try at it.

13922338-L.jpg

That's really beautiful. I'm sorry you can't use it. But, it shows me how it's done. The setup in photoshop is as important as the shot or maybe even more important. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts or something like that. Gee, I'm intimidated already. :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    That's really beautiful. I'm sorry you can't use it. But, it shows me how it's done. The setup in photoshop is as important as the shot or maybe even more important. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts or something like that. Gee, I'm intimidated already. :D
    That looks very nice, greaper. Maybe by the time this challenge actually is over, I will have it all figured out. now it is serendipity. That is great framing you have. How do you get the pictures on? I can get the orig pic and the 2nd photo by select all, copy and it comes right up and I can move it, but the third picture is a bear.

ginger (Flipping is a great idea, I think I will use it with my birds)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ZlakiZlaki Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 11, 2005
    It looks very nice. I can feel the cold while watching the photos..brrrr
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    First try at it.

13922338-L.jpg

This is not eligible as it was shot before the challenge period. I also screwed up and put 2004 on it, but they were shot in 2005, my first date mistake of the new year.
    :bash

Great shots. I really like them... is this your back yard. I still have snow... Do you think you can re-shoot these? Also, the pic of the first tree and the center pic look like the same tree. Are they?

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    johno wrote:
    Great shots. I really like them... is this your back yard. I still have snow... Do you think you can re-shoot these? Also, the pic of the first tree and the center pic look like the same tree. Are they?

peace.
    johno~

No, It's not my backyard, (I wish) It was at a local metro Park. Our snow is gone, we had rain for 4 days straight and strangly high temps. I made a big effort to go out and shoot some snow that weekend as I knew the forcast and knew it would be gone.

Yes they are the same tree from different angles, Good eye.

Thanks for looking. I will have to see what this weekend brings if I want to have a chance to shoot something else for this challenge.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Another try, and elligible too :)
    14238276-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    And a different one...

14241899-L.jpg
  • Options
    RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    I think the idea is excellent, Brian!
    Nevertheless, some image corrections are needed. All the skies appear to present very similart shooting conditions and so they must look the same way. The best one is the second, although the pic still need some light/contrast correction in order to bring up some the detail on the walls, especially on the left side.
    The first pic needs some colour correction as it has a haze/tint all over as well as some light/contrast correction to bring up some details on the right side.
    As for the third one, I would de-saturate it a bit and also give it some more light in order to get a softer sky tone.
    By the way, just crossed my mind, have you calibrated your monitor? If not you might be missing most I have been telling you and never get to the real colours like many people I have seen!

If you wish some help on how to do it, just let me know! :D
    Hope I have not sound too critical to you as it was not my intention, just want to give you a hand!nod.gif

Roger
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    And a different one...

14241899-L.jpg
    My previous post is related to the colour pictures, of course!

I must say I like it even best in B&W!
    You also need to bring up some detail in them as well as getting the sky tones closer!

What are these buildings, barns? headscratch.gif

Roger
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    I like it!

ginger
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Yes they are barns, All of them are fairly typical designs around here.

The different tones in the sky are most likely caused by differences in the position of the polarizor. As far as the deatail, it maty come from shrinking the shots down so small. I don't have any problem seeing detaiil in the originals, even in the shadowed areas.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Yes they are barns, All of them are fairly typical designs around here.

The different tones in the sky are most likely caused by differences in the position of the polarizor. As far as the deatail, it maty come from shrinking the shots down so small. I don't have any problem seeing detaiil in the originals, even in the shadowed areas.
    Brian;
    I prefer the color vertical set, but and this is a big "but" I don't see this as working yet. The basic conceptis great and the barns in color have a lot of depth but maybe start over with cropping and PS or even selection
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    It is nice. I don't think the barns are going to work. The fish is a good idea.
    The blue border bothers me. And I just came from seeing the wolf.

Funny about your name. Can't miss that it is Brian, there.

ginger
    Isn't it Yosemite where everyone is meeting this spring, or something?

I agree on the barns re preferring the color vertical set. I liked them until they were messed with. So typical of the midwest.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Another one....

14301569-L.jpg
    This is a case where I think a plain black frame background will do better as a contrast to the super yellow. Wonderful triptych anyway (I myself have some aquarium tropical fish...).
    Hey, Brian, 2004? Must move your calendar on ...mwink.gif

Roger
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Another one....

14301569-L.jpg
    Great shots. I just love fish! I like the background too.
    clap.gif

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2005
    Roger wrote:
    Hey, Brian, 2004? Must move your calendar on ...mwink.gif

Roger
    Yeah, I know.... I am chronologically challenged... :D
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    Three different versions of one today.

What do you think?

Better than the fish?

14601050-L.jpg

or

14601052-L.jpg

or

14601053-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    I like the first one. I think it's better than the fish too. Very pretty, and makes me really miss the snow and cold. (Not much chance of having a Winter Wonderland in Houston!)

Nicely done! clap.gif

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2005
    You've been busy...
    GREAPER wrote:
    Three different versions of one today.

What do you think?

Better than the fish?

14601052-L.jpg

or

14601053-L.jpg

I like the trees, but I can't say I like them better than the fish. The colors in the fish are really dramatic. I'd like to see the fish with a black background. I think it could be very dramatic. Or maybe sample the darkest blue from the background of the pictures. Also, I think your name should be small so it does not detract from the pictures and the title. I like the font style.

I like the trees, but the last one on the right bothers me. I think there is too much ground at the bottom. It gives the illusion that the picture is higher than the others. I'd like to see a tiny bit more sky at the top and less ground in front. Line up the horizon lines as much as possible, I think. Then I'd change the background. The first one of the three was way too busy. The others are better but, if going light, I think I'd try very light blue. Or I'd go dark - something that makes the pictures pop out. Try sampling the dark green from the center of the trees. I hope this doesn't sound too critical, but you've been nice enough to comment on my stuff so I thought you'd like some honest critique.
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2005
    The trees.. the fish .. the trees .. the fish..

This is a hard one! I think I like the fish better because they are so vibrant! The trees are great tooo ... If you go with the trees, you may want to show more sky on the picture on the far right.

-judy
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    Just to muddy the waters even more...

By request...

14637838-L.jpg
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2005
    hmmm decisions decisions....headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif How about, Keep the innermost background at black, keep the white boarder, and change the outermost background back to blue. The blue really added before, but it seemed too much. The black also really adds and seems too much ne_nau.gif

GREAPER wrote:
    Just to muddy the waters even more...

By request...

14637838-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    judyfuess wrote:
    hmmm decisions decisions....headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif How about, Keep the innermost background at black, keep the white boarder, and change the outermost background back to blue. The blue really added before, but it seemed too much. The black also really adds and seems too much ne_nau.gif
    Hey, I just saw this. I don't know about the white, I usually use it, seems to set the photo off fr the black or something.

But the fish looks so much better now,I would not, IMHO, change it back to blue.

ginger
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2005
    The trees, I will answer that, too. I think, and I would not hold me to this, just MHO, as usual, but I think that these trees suffer in comparison to the OTHER trees where there was more snowfall. Or you could clean up the grass that shows through. I don't know.

There is a lot of good stuff going in, and I certainly can't tell what will do what, I am not even hopeful for mine, but this time I don't care, got other things going.

On the background, I have wondered. There are some great backgrounds.......really great. The wolf is kind of like yours, and that one where I went to the site, and there were window shutters. But that was not supposed to count. ????? It would influence me, but it was not supposed to.

Good luck,
    ginger
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    Better Greaper...
    I really like the fish the best. As Ginger says, the first trees were better. Mother nature was not kind to you there.

If it were me, I'd take out all the white. I'd go with a fine pale yellow border on each picture or a bevel with a yellow cast. Then I'd make the title and signature yellow. Don't forget the apostrophe in swimmin'. I think the white is too bright and detracts from the pictures. I like the way the yellow fish stands out against the black background. This is lookin' good.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    Thx Snappy, I might try that, but no time left, gotta go to work :puke1

I guess I have to go with what I have...