Macro recommendations

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited January 11, 2007 in Holy Macro
I'm afraid that my 20D's shutter may be giving up the ghost soon -sticks from time to time and all I get is a black frame. Between the 30D and the 400D what would you guys and gals recommend for macro work? I'm also thinking of getting a new lens, but so far the 100mm and tubes has worked well for me. Here is an example, hand held, taken with the 20D, 100mm macro lens, and a 25mm extension tube:

89581865-L.jpg

Easy to do if you rest your right elbow on your right knee -makes a good monopod :wink
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    30D has a shutter now good for 100,000 slaps if that helps given your situation! :D
    XTi is just standard I think? headscratch.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    30D has a shutter now good for 100,000 slaps if that helps given your situation! :D
    XTi is just standard I think? headscratch.gif

Thanks for the reply! The 20Ds shutter isn't rated :cry
    My SmugMug Gallery

• GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    On the other side.....the XTi has that anti dust bit and it's 10MP not 8.2.
    Gezzzzz it's a tough choice....30D or XTI?

I like the features of the XTi but the build quality of the 30D for field work better.
    Personally I see a 30D in my future! thumb.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    welcome back Dalen ! really missed you . Great macro and good luck for new camera wings.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    I'd try out both the 400D and 30D if you can before you purchase. I suspect the viewfinder will be better on the 30D. As for lenses think the 100mm canon is hard to beat for any macro the only upgrade would be to get an MPE-65 but that does 1:1 minimum and goes to 5:1. Otherwise you may want to consider something like the F2.8 200mm canon lens- great for dragonflies or butterflies especially with a tube or two.
    Brian V.
    edited January 7, 2007
    On the other side.....the XTi has that anti dust bit and it's 10MP not 8.2.
    Gezzzzz it's a tough choice....30D or XTI?

I like the features of the XTi but the build quality of the 30D for field work better.
    Personally I see a 30D in my future! thumb.gif

Thanks for the reply! :)

I'd love to have the 5D, but I just can't cough up $2700 for a camera body :(

I think the 30D would hold up better than the XTi...
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited January 7, 2007
    welcome back Dalen ! really missed you . Great macro and good luck for new camera wings.gif

Thankd Awais! I look forward to seeing your work!
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited January 7, 2007
    I'd try out both the 400D and 30D if you can before you purchase. I suspect the viewfinder will be better on the 30D. As for lenses think the 100mm canon is hard to beat for any macro the only upgrade would be to get an MPE-65 but that does 1:1 minimum and goes to 5:1. Otherwise you may want to consider something like the F2.8 200mm canon lens- great for dragonflies or butterflies especially with a tube or two.
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian!

The lens really is the toughest choice! I can get within inches of most critters, except butterflies, so I've had a hard time justifying the 180mm F3.5 L macro. Money not being a factor would you go for the 200mm prime or the 70-200mm F2.8 L with IS?
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Thanks Brian!

The lens really is the toughest choice! I can get within inches of most critters, except butterflies, so I've had a hard time justifying the 180mm F3.5 L macro. Money not being a factor would you go for the 200mm prime or the 70-200mm F2.8 L with IS?

Fraid I have no experience with an IS lens but suspect it's not worth it on an f2.8 lens with shortish zoom range. I've got the 200mm prime and that's lovely but have to admit I've not used it that much.
    Brian V.
    edited January 7, 2007
    Fraid I have no experience with an IS lens but suspect it's not worth it on an f2.8 lens with shortish zoom range. I've got the 200mm prime and that's lovely but have to admit I've not used it that much.
    Brian V.

Thanks for responding Brian!
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I'm afraid that my 20D's shutter may be giving up the ghost soon -sticks from time to time and all I get is a black frame. Between the 30D and the 400D what would you guys and gals recommend for macro work? I'm also thinking of getting a new lens, but so far the 100mm and tubes has worked well for me. Here is an example, hand held, taken with the 20D, 100mm macro lens, and a 25mm extension tube:
    Easy to do if you rest your right elbow on your right knee -makes a good monopod mwink.gif

Yeah I agree with Brian the Canon 100mm is very hard to beat you've used it enough yourself to know its a dang good piece of glass that one clap.gif
    I'm still waiting to see what happens in the near future, before I even think about another camera, the Canon 20D has been a great learning tool for my introduction into DSLR.

I went from a Sony F828 to the Canon 20D and was somewhat overwhelmed with the transition, I wondered if I'd done the right thing at first eek7.gif but gosh I have learnt so much from people on this forum.

So what have you got your heart set on??? or you still sitting back and waiting to see what Canon has install for us this year ???

I'm happy to wait, cause I'm still happy learning more :D .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited January 8, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Yeah I agree with Brian the Canon 100mm is very hard to beat you've used it enough yourself to know its a dang good piece of glass that one clap.gif
    I'm still waiting to see what happens in the near future, before I even think about another camera, the Canon 20D has been a great learning tool for my introduction into DSLR.

I went from a Sony F828 to the Canon 20D and was somewhat overwhelmed with the transition, I wondered if I'd done the right thing at first eek7.gif but gosh I have learnt so much from people on this forum.

So what have you got your heart set on??? or you still sitting back and waiting to see what Canon has install for us this year ???

I'm happy to wait, cause I'm still happy learning more :D .... Skippy

Hey Skippy!

I'm hoping the shutter in my 20D holds out until the next photography show in February. I'd like to see Canon come out with a 1.3x crop factor camera somewhere in price between the 30D and the 5D, and I'd like to see a 150mm F2.8 L macro...
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Very nicely done...the transparent wings are beautiful.