Flower

Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited January 8, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hi,

I was rummaging through my files and came upon this and two others that I thought I'd like to post (the others are of a fan). They were taken in the spring 2006. I would appreciate any C&C for improvement, given this can be revisited to shoot.

Manual with tripod 0.6s @ f/32 ISO 800 Lens 100mm

Take care,
- Deanna

121618100-M.jpg

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Nice composition! thumb.gif

Why did you shoot it at F32? Diffraction is making the image look soft even though it's in focus...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Run it threw CS2 Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise clean it up a bit and it'll look fab! thumb.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Nice composition! thumb.gif

Why did you shoot it at F32? Diffraction is making the image look soft even though it's in focus...

- From what I remember, after looking at others from that day, I (for learning purposes) was working at the extremes of that lens f/2.8 and f/32. However, I did not explore anything in between and sadly I don't know why headscratch.gif
    edited January 7, 2007
    Run it threw CS2 Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise clean it up a bit and it'll look fab! thumb.gif

Thanks, Jim. Tried it and it worked nicely.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Thanks, Jim. Tried it and it worked nicely.

Lets see....lets see! thumb.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • KevinKevin Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    A different angle mbe?
    Hi Deanna
    While I don't find yours at all unattractive, and get the max dof you were going for, at one point in my flower adventures, I went for shallow dof.

I think this is the same sorta flower, but from a different angle.
    Pics are easier for me to explain than words ;)

Cheers

DSC_9764.jpg

DSC_9766.jpg
    Kevin.
    the Photo Muse: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    nice one littel soft but cool
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited January 7, 2007
    Those are lovely, Kevin. Thank you for sharing.
    edited January 7, 2007
    Lets see....lets see! thumb.gif

I'm not familiar so well with noise reduction so my settings may not have been exactly right but I do think there is an improvement...

121655811-L.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Hi,

I was rummaging through my files and came upon this and two others that I thought I'd like to post (the others are of a fan). They were taken in the spring 2006. I would appreciate any C&C for improvement, given this can be revisited to shoot.

Manual with tripod 0.6s @ f/32 ISO 800 Lens 100mm
    Take care,
    - Deanna

Trial and Error, that's what I love doing with Digital, I noticed you commented about not trying out the inbetween F Stops.

You are definately headed in the right direction you know what you want it's a matter of getting it to work for you - trial & error :D

You picked a nice subject, I like the background on this shot too.
    Were you using a flash at all????

You probably could have hand held the shot by dropping the F/stop, maybe not I don't know what conditions you were shooting under.

Have a look in the FINISHING SCHOOL section of Dgrin for help on Sharpening and Noise Reduction there are some great tutorials to be found.

A nice flower shot, yep I think we will see great shots from you in the very near future thumb.gif ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited January 7, 2007
    Thanks, Skippy. I'll look into the tutorials you suggested.

No flash, it was a semi-overcast day (on & off, had a diffuser/reflector ring handy though) I think this was taken while a thinner cloud was diffusing the sun, hard to remember though.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Lovely flower shot. As Skippy mentioned one of the delights of digital photography is being able to play with shots without it costing a fortune.
    You could try taking the same pic of a flower from wide open at F2.8 in F steps down to F22 and see which one you like. Shooting at small apertures does give greater DOF but also results in diffraction softening of the image so it will not appear as sharp as a pic taken at a more open aperture. Having said that flowers often look better when they are slightly soft.
    Brian V.
    edited January 8, 2007
    "As Skippy mentioned one of the delights of digital photography is being able to play with shots without it costing a fortune."

- I might also add, storing, finding, and viewing images is tremendously better!

"You could try taking the same pic of a flower from wide open at F2.8 in F steps down to F22 and see which one you like."

- nod.gif Just the method I was contemplating for the re-shoot.

Thanks,
    - Deanna
    edited January 8, 2007
    Just out of curiosity, (Looking for visceral reactions here...)

1) what f-stop would you all have choosen to yield max DOF for this shot (avoiding diffraction)

2) when using a wide-open aperture what would be your POF for this composition?? Fully, understanding that the possibilities could be endless

Thanks so much,
    - Deanna
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Just out of curiosity, (Looking for visceral reactions here...)

1) what f-stop would you all have choosen to yield max DOF for this shot (avoiding diffraction)
    I would have probably shot around F8 to F11

2) when using a wide-open aperture what would be your POF for this composition?? Fully, understanding that the possibilities could be endless
    Difficult question - I very rarely do limited DOF shots - obviously your point of interest should be in sharp focus (petal tip or centre of the flower?) but I'd try to avoid OOF areas in the foreground of the photo

Thanks so much,
    - Deanna

Brian V.