A few questions from a site virgin...

BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
edited January 8, 2007 in Cameras
Greetings,

I am currently using a Rebel 300D, and I have a 28-135 IS lens.... f stop I'm not certain of (at work, can't look..), but it's a 600$ or so, I think the f3.5-5.6.

One of two things is going transpire this year.. I'm either going to Tanzania or I am riding across the US.... and I would like nothing more but to take some serious, professional grade shots along the way of the stunning scenery I am bound to encounter, and put them up somewhere for sale.

I've been shooting on an amateur basis for years, some more serious shots than others, but can usually put the lens where I want it and get the shot I want, as long as I don't get elaborate with motion blurs and such. I've done some limited but nice macro stuff with as well, the lens is pretty versatile.

I guess where I'm at is this... I've come to realize that I need to get a nice telephoto zoom, and the only one that's gonna meet my needs at the moment is the f4 100-400 IS USM L, and that maybe, perhaps... my body needs an upgrade. Wishful thinking, I know, and it seems that maybe it won't really be -needed- per se as 'nice to have'.... nice as in 5D nice.

running around in my head though are the configurations:

300d, 1.6 lens mult native, 28-135, 100-400L,
5D, no mult, twice the MP, same lens combo

Would the 100-400 be "too much lens" for the 300D? Not that I have a choice if I want 400 zoom... (thankfully the cheapest of the L series...)

Would the 28-135 not being an L be limp on a 5D? Am I gonna shoot myself in the wildlife foot losing the native multiplier of the smaller ccd?

How's the image quality on a 24x36-ish print... I've never tried it.

To answer the obvious question... yes, I've been happy with the rebel in every respect since I've had it, although sometimes it likes to get a little creative on its autoexposure... but I also don't necessarily want to be limitted to a small print size, either.. my only gripe is when shooting raw, you get the jpg too.... if I wanted the jpg, I wouldna selected raw..

Just trying to wrap my head around the finer points of digital photography so luck plays far less of a factor than opportunity :)

TIA,

Mark

Comments

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Mark... you know your 300D. So, I'd not upgrade before your trip. You may find yourself stumbling with setting for some of the trip and not be able to concentrate or get the shots your are envisioning at the time. Keep it simple.

If you don't already have, you may want to consider a good (at least respectable) tripod for the trip. I rarely go on any trips without the tri or monopod.

As far as the lenses... A Nikon shooter here, so I can't address your lenses. But, good luck and enjoy your trip.
  • BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Got that too :) Actually, vowed never to go shooting without it again after botching some shots at Glendalough, Co Wicklow.... I left it in the car because I was climbing hills. Oops. I was so tired from the hill climbing that I needed it... Granted, I've used car, motorcycle, and wall as pseudopods since then... but I've got a nice, stable manfrotto that I love except when I'm hiking. I'll suffer next time :)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Belg wrote:
    Greetings,

Would the 100-400 be "too much lens" for the 300D? Not that I have a choice if I want 400 zoom... (thankfully the cheapest of the L series...)
    No. The 300D will handle the 100-400 just fine. The sensor on the dRebel is no slouch. You'll really like it.
    Belg wrote:
    Would the 28-135 not being an L be limp on a 5D? Am I gonna shoot myself in the wildlife foot losing the native multiplier of the smaller ccd?

Don't know, but I suspect that you will find that the 28-135 will perform in a fashion similar to that on your dRebel. If you know the lens and you know where it performs best, you should be alright.
    Belg wrote:
    How's the image quality on a 24x36-ish print... I've never tried it.
    You should have no problem getting posters from a dRebel image - lots of resolution to work with. There are others here who are more expert in this than am I.

Sounds like you are in for a extreme amount of fun! Enjoy!
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Considering the 5D price, about $2500, I would say definitely go with keeping the Rebel & upgrading glass. You will get far more bang for your buck there. For that money you can get some very nice lens setups that will last a lifetime (read: when the Rebel finally dies, the top-quality glass will still be there for the better body you eventually get).
  • seawolf66seawolf66 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Never change equipment before a trip because You will be very very mad at your self if you have to waste time learning the new equipment as the orthers have stated
    go with the rebel 28-135 and 100-400 if you need get a kenko coverter 1.4 that should round you out nicely::D
    seawolf66-

“the farther back we look the farther forward we see.”—A. Theodore Kachel
    http://www.lauren-macintosh.com
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Considering the 5D price, about $2500, I would say definitely go with keeping the Rebel & upgrading glass. You will get far more bang for your buck there. For that money you can get some very nice lens setups that will last a lifetime (read: when the Rebel finally dies, the top-quality glass will still be there for the better body you eventually get).

I wholeheartedly agree. I had that lens and body. Both very good. Not to get into a lens/$/f-stop comparison, I eventually went for the 24-70 f/2.8 L on my 5D. I would keep the body, get the best zoom you can and then seriously look at the EF 17-40 L, or the EF-S 10-22 for more wide angles for that body when you are out west. Down side of the 10-22 is it won't go on the 5D, but it is less $$ and wider than the 17-40.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited January 8, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I wholeheartedly agree. I had that lens and body. Both very good. Not to get into a lens/$/f-stop comparison, I eventually went for the 24-70 f/2.8 L on my 5D. I would keep the body, get the best zoom you can and then seriously look at the EF 17-40 L, or the EF-S 10-22 for more wide angles for that body when you are out west. Down side of the 10-22 is it won't go on the 5D, but it is less $$ and wider than the 17-40.

Great idea... woudl serve me well on the Savannha too...

Thanks guys... you've saved my brain :=) Keep the reb, buy the glass. Now, to see how to fit it all in my pelican!!!!
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 8, 2007
    my only .002: that push-pull 100-400mm isn't exactly the best travel telephoto lens. If I had to pack for a cross-country ride, I certainly wouldn't have room for any glass that big. Unless the stated purpose of the trip was photography, and wildlife photography at that.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Belg wrote:
    Keep the reb, buy the glass.

I'll vouch for this route also - I'm still using a DRebel and have been spending my money on lenses and a studio flash rig :D
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
    edited January 8, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    my only .002: that push-pull 100-400mm isn't exactly the best travel telephoto lens. If I had to pack for a cross-country ride, I certainly wouldn't have room for any glass that big. Unless the stated purpose of the trip was photography, and wildlife photography at that.

Lets just say it's right behind riding.... :) But then again, so is everything else.