A little education needed

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited February 23, 2007 in Cameras
Since I do not like the feel of the new Sony Alpha and also Sony seems extremely proud of their lenses I have deceided that at some point in the future i will jump ship from my KM 7D's......

I know that both C. & N. make great cameras and lenses.......so mine is not a question of which brand to go with...I have pwned N. in the past also.....

Where I need education is how to decide on whether to buy full frame or another Aps-c sensored camera.

Thanks in advance
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    That would come down to intended use to me.

I'd go full size if I was doing portraits/landscape.
    I'd stay with crop factor for sports/animals.

The Canon EOS-1D Mark IIn is a good "tweener" with a crop factor of 1.3x and 8.2 mega pixles. And it's at the top of my wish list.....iloveyou.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Well I have "C" in my blood but that's because I never owned a "N".

Personally I'm trying hard to graduate up to the 5d. Thus far Mr. BankAccount hasn't let me get there. I want full frame but I shoot weddings and portraits mainly.

I did handle a "N" recently at a local store and I must say I was pretty impressed.

IMO: It's all preference!

Scott

Jeffro wrote:
    That would come down to intended use to me.

I'd go full size if I was doing portraits/landscape.
    I'd stay with crop factor for sports/animals.

The Canon EOS-1D Mark IIn is a good "tweener" with a crop factor of 1.3x and 8.2 mega pixles. And it's at the top of my wish list.....iloveyou.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 8, 2007
    Art,

Gosh, choosing a new body and system. It's like being young and free again.rolleyes1.gif

Both Canon and Nikon have at least 3 tiers in their dSLR lineup; novice, advanced amateur/semi-pro and pro. I suggest that you are far from amateur, so you should disregard that category, except maybe as a backup.

The rather nice thing about Nikon is that there is only one format in their dSLR lineup, 1.5 crop. Lenses are mostly usable on "any" of the bodies, with only a few notable exceptions, but the lenses (should) act the same from body to body. This is a very desirable quality.

On the other hand, Canon really does reign for high-ISO, something I use extremely often. I have both the XT/350 and the 1D MKII bodies, and I use them both for different purposes. The XT is so lightweight, and yet does a decent job for most casual event and general purpose photography. I am a long-time film photographer, but I had no real problem adjusting to the menu structure of the XT.

The 1D MKII is just sooo much better when it comes to action stuff like wedding candids and sports. The auto focus and exposure systems are so advanced on the 1D cameras, you just don't know what you're missing until you use one and see the results.

The Canon 5D is full frame, but has the same exposure and auto focus system as the 30D, which is to say "pretty darned good", just not as good as the 1D series. The 5D does have, arguably, the best high-ISO out-of-the-camera images of "any" camera that I have investigated.

The Nikons have a flash exposure advantage, that you have to see to believe. The i-TTL system (the D2H is what I have tested against) works even in extreme situations like strong side-lighting and extreme distances. While Pathfinder has many good recommendations on the proper use of Canon E-TTL (and E-TTL II), the Nikon system works so much more easily and intuitively.

No single camera can accommodate every shooting situation. (I still use my Minolta A2 digicam pretty frequently.) It's up to you to prioritize your shooting needs and make a purchase (or purchases) accordingly.

Then again, send me your money, and I'll make the decisions for you. mwink.gif (Don't really do that. I've made plenty of wrong decisions in my life. Heck I used to be married to this one ... well ... that's another story. I got some great kids out of the deal though.thumb.gif)

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Here are the arguments I can think of for going with the APS-C format:

1. A 10MP APS-C sensor has about 40% higher pixel density than a 13MP full frame so if you are partial to high ticket telephoto lenses in some ways you will get more out of them with an APS-C body.

2. In practice an APS-C sensor has 60% more depth of field than a full frame sensor. If your taste runs in the "everything in focus" direction, APS-C is better.

3. The mirror and shutter are smaller on APS-C bodies so you tend to see faster frame rates and faster flash sync on APS-C bodies.

4. APS-C bodies are considerably less expensive.

Here are the arguments I can think of for full frame:

1. When printing, you are magnifying the film plane less so as long as you aren't cropping your lenses will look 60% sharper.

2. The larger pixels have lower noise at high ISO.

3. The depth of field is 1.6x shallower at a given apeture so you don't have to open the apeture as wide to use DoF to separate your subject from the background.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 8, 2007
    Art,

The discussion of full frame versus APS sensors always tends to revolve around the differences in pixel amount and density. Unless you want/need more than 8 Mpxl, I think that is not the best way to think about these cameras, at least in the Canon camp. IF you routinely need images bigger than 16 x 24, then the larger sensors do come in to their own.

But as Ziggy mentions, there is a REAL difference in the AF speed and aquisition times, as well as weather sealing with a 1 Series camera in the Canon lineup versus the APS sensor built cameras. The viewfinder images are much brighter in the 1 Series cameras than the smaller chip cameras also. The DOF is shallower with the larger sensors. The porro prism screens are interchangeable in the 1Series cameras.

Before deciding which one a working pro wants to sign up for, I would recommend they spend an afternoon handling each of these cameras and get a feel for how they focus and what the viewfinders look like.

I shoot with a 20D, a 5D, and some 1Series bodies from time to time, but I do not choose which to use on the basis of pixel numbers, but how they focus, what they weigh, am I shooting portraits or birds, wide or long. Is it raining out? How dark is it? Will I need to consider manual focus? How big an image am I likely to need in print?

The 5d is more like a 30D than it is like a 1DsMkll, in everything but format size and pixel count. Smaller than a 1Series, lighter, but much slower frame rate, slower AF and fewer AF points. Needs an f5.6 lens to AF rather than an f8 lens.

There is no right answer, only the anwer that is right for YOU! You need to handle and shoot with these before buying if you can.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your very informative input....sorry it took so long to answer ..I did not realize I had so many threads in my subscription listing...this thread just got lost......

Unfortunately there isn't anywhere close I can handle any of the truly PRO cameras.....the only 2 camera stores in town don't really carry any of the even semi pro bodies....one of our newer members' (harleys) had allowed me to handle and play with his D200 and it was nice but that was only for a couple of minutes as we both had other obligations......The store owners compalin about people buying of the internet..how ever if you don't keep your stock upto date people go they can find what they need.....guess I am gonn ahve to head for KC or OKC in the near future.... (note to self: gotta getthe bike tuned...) and find out whose in the KC area besides Wolfs.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Hmmm, have been thinking about FF (30D new in Sept 06) after reading so many postive comments from FF users elsewhere.

However the comments given by posters above were illuminating to me, particularly LiguidAir's point about better depth of field on APS/C sensors. I have always strived for a good DOF, and as a result of this comment will stop pining for FF.

Good useful information all round.

One other comment - being a bit of an "available light" nut, flash isn't a big deal for me, so the Canon options seem to fit me better, whereas those doing weddings have quite different needs.

Good rational discussion and points. Thanks.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    There is no right answer, only the anwer that is right for YOU! You need to handle and shoot with these before buying if you can.

So very true, and something the FF evangelists seem to forget in their rapturous posts about their beloved 5Ds. While FF is the holy grail for some, it's just another sensor size--keep in mind to a Hassy shooter the 5d is still a "crop" camera. mwink.gif

Using myself as an example, the 5D is the WRONG choice and my 20D is a superior body. I don't need the extra pixels, but I do need the extra speed for action shooting and the crop is helpful to zero in on individual performers--stretches the 70-200 lens. My upgrade path? well, really only the 1D MkIIN (or now the Mk III, drool); and the 1.3 crop vs 1.6 will be a compromise for lens "length."
  • DifferentSeedDifferentSeed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Hi Art,

While I cannot comment on which system to move to, I'd be interested in your Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO mwink.gif if/when you do change systems and are selling it. I'm in the Kansas City area as well. :)
    Make a small loan, Make a big difference. Find out how at http://www.kiva.org