Options

A quick Mac/PC Question....

jmaccs64jmaccs64 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited January 8, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
When i look at my pictures on my mac....everything is brighter, and on a pc, it seems any PC, darker.....what causes this?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Depends!

How are you viewing them? In a browser, if so, which one? In a viewer program, like Iview or ACDsee or Bridge?

What monitor(s)? How are they set?

There are a zillion different combinations, help us zero it down and we can help.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    There are a bunch of different combinations....it just seems...browser to browser, from mac to PC almost always no matter what....PC is darker. Firefox on my mac....looks good...firefox on my work PC....dark, my brothers PC, dark, etc...

Is there a standard gamma/brightness/some setting that is standard on all PC's?

Andy wrote:
    Depends!

How are you viewing them? In a browser, if so, which one? In a viewer program, like Iview or ACDsee or Bridge?

What monitor(s)? How are they set?

There are a zillion different combinations, help us zero it down and we can help.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Macs, going back to the early pre-press days have been defaulted to a 1.8 gamma. PCs, not being prepress have been at 2.2.

Set your Mac gamma at 2.2, using the calibration tool in System Preferences>Displays>Color.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    If you're using a Macbook or MacBook Pro glossy screen, everything looks brighter!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    What will this do to my proofs on my monitor, I have gotten my monitors and the lab I use pretty well matched up....will i have to do this again?

Should I use 2.2....because there are more PC's than macs?

Opinions?
    DavidTO wrote:
    Macs, going back to the early pre-press days have been defaulted to a 1.8 gamma. PCs, not being prepress have been at 2.2.

Set your Mac gamma at 2.2, using the calibration tool in System Preferences>Displays>Color.
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    I would follow the advice of the Mac guys here.

I have PC at home and PC at my day job and the images look different. Andy was right saying there are zillion reasons. Mine is just because two different machines, two different monitors... I printed an 8x10 and put it beside both of my monitors to get them as close as possible. Everything now seems pretty dead on.

Oh, and make sure you use the ICC prifle from EZPrints to ensure what comes off the printer is what you want to begin with!

Scott

jmaccs64 wrote:
    What will this do to my proofs on my monitor, I have gotten my monitors and the lab I use pretty well matched up....will i have to do this again?

Opinions?
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    jmaccs64 wrote:

Opinions?

If your proofs are working, you might not want to mess with it. But you can save your old profile and this new one, and always change back if you want to.

Yes, I got tired of not seeing my pics the way the rest of the world does, so I changed my gamma to 2.2, and I think that it's the way to go in this internet age.

Here's a site I found on the subject.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    Or, just buy a PC rolleyes1.gif
    DavidTO wrote:
    If your proofs are working, you might not want to mess with it. But you can save your old profile and this new one, and always change back if you want to.

Yes, I got tired of not seeing my pics the way the rest of the world does, so I changed my gamma to 2.2, and I think that it's the way to go in this internet age.

Here's a site I found on the subject.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    kc7dji wrote:
    Or, just buy a PC rolleyes1.gif

Why would anyone want to take a step backward? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 8, 2007
    I edit on a Power Mac, with a Cinema display, that I calibrate with a Spyder2, and set the gamma to 2.2 and the color temp to 6500.

My images in smugmug look the exactly same on PCs as on my MAC.

I agree with Dave, set the gamma at 2.2thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin