Options

Marketing brainstorming idea

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited January 11, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I shot a wedding last weekend (as an assistant) and noticed at the mansion, there was a library room where photographers had put copies of brides' wedding books that were shot at that location. The lead photog i was with said the wedding we were photographing that day was booked as a direct result. From a marketing perspective, its the right audience at the right time. Book the location, then book the photog.

I'm not positive I want to be a wedding photographer, but quite sure I want to be a maternity/newborn/child photographer. The thought occurred to me to approach OB/Gyn offices and offer to put a Blurb/Asuka book of maternity and child portraits in their waiting room as reading material. It would be cheaper and easier than convincing someone to hang an exhibit. Plus I could reach more offices, and a wider audience therefore...and of course, you get pregnant, go to the doctor, THEN schedule your maternity photographs... :)

Anyone tried something like this? How would you couch the voice of the book? Design/write it as a coffee table art book and then on the last page, mention that the images were by a local photog and list web address? OR do you make it a more blatant marketing tool....with a call to action, and if so how/what?

Any suggestions, bullets in the idea or experience doing something like this would be most welcome.

lynne
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    I think you are doing good by throwing all the options on the table and picking from the best, but prior to that you threw up a red flag. You aren't sure if you want to be a wedding photographer. I think the "kind" of photographer you want to be must be the first thing answered. This will drive your entire marketing ventures. IMHO I think you really need to figure that out first. Just my 1/2 cent.

Scott

urbanaries wrote:
    I shot a wedding last weekend (as an assistant) and noticed at the mansion, there was a library room where photographers had put copies of brides' wedding books that were shot at that location. The lead photog i was with said the wedding we were photographing that day was booked as a direct result. From a marketing perspective, its the right audience at the right time. Book the location, then book the photog.

I'm not positive I want to be a wedding photographer, but quite sure I want to be a maternity/newborn/child photographer. The thought occurred to me to approach OB/Gyn offices and offer to put a Blurb/Asuka book of maternity and child portraits in their waiting room as reading material. It would be cheaper and easier than convincing someone to hang an exhibit. Plus I could reach more offices, and a wider audience therefore...and of course, you get pregnant, go to the doctor, THEN schedule your maternity photographs... :)

Anyone tried something like this? How would you couch the voice of the book? Design/write it as a coffee table art book and then on the last page, mention that the images were by a local photog and list web address? OR do you make it a more blatant marketing tool....with a call to action, and if so how/what?

Any suggestions, bullets in the idea or experience doing something like this would be most welcome.

lynne
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    you could be right. I however have yet to see a photographer that does exclusively one thing or another. Almost every wedding photographer does some portraits, and vice versa.

I want to be a maternity and child photographer first. I feel that's where my heart is, and where my talents lie. Weddings I want to do well (hence the assistant gig) but they are second on my marketing/growth priority list. So why shouldn't I market the service I feel I have the best grip on first?

Unless you have an unlimited budget to advertise, marketing can and should be targeted to an audience, for a specific product.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    Then I think you are on the right track. You are right. I do weddings mainly but will shoot about anything if I have the chance. You could be just opposite. Shoot children/materity as your primary and backup with weddings. If this is the case then I'd say Yes put your money towards that advertising that pertains to the the children/maternity.

I attened a bridal show this past weekend. I haven't yet figured out if I like these things or not. Some day I promise to decide.

Keep on going on urbanaries.... you'll get to where you want to be.

Scott

urbanaries wrote:
    you could be right. I however have yet to see a photographer that does exclusively one thing or another. Almost every wedding photographer does some portraits, and vice versa.

I want to be a maternity and child photographer first. I feel that's where my heart is, and where my talents lie. Weddings I want to do well (hence the assistant gig) but they are second on my marketing/growth priority list. So why shouldn't I market the service I feel I have the best grip on first?

Unless you have an unlimited budget to advertise, marketing can and should be targeted to an audience, for a specific product.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    kc7dji wrote:
    If this is the case then I'd say Yes put your money towards that advertising that pertains to the the children/maternity.
    Scott

thanks Scott! We're talking strategy and I'm trying to get feedback on a specific tactic. Do you think the idea is a good one? Have you tried anything like this anywhere in the portrait arena?

I agree, bridal shows scare the H@# out of me. Give me a grumpy 38-week old pregnant lady to cheer up anyday! :)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    to answer your original question on tactic, I think that would be a great idea. Seems to put you into the right audience.

Like the grumpy pregnant ladies I think you get some offices that will say sure and others that might be more reserve. The best thing to do is jump on it. You'll spend some $$$ for the books so I'd run around and get a ballpark figure of how many offices that say yes first.n

Scott

urbanaries wrote:
    thanks Scott! We're talking strategy and I'm trying to get feedback on a specific tactic. Do you think the idea is a good one? Have you tried anything like this anywhere in the portrait arena?

I agree, bridal shows scare the H@# out of me. Give me a grumpy 38-week old pregnant lady to cheer up anyday! :)
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2007
    kc7dji wrote:
    The best thing to do is jump on it. You'll spend some $$$ for the books so I'd run around and get a ballpark figure of how many offices that say yes first.n

Scott

good thought! I probably would use the blurb books...but still, $30 a pop, hopefully they'd at least pay for themselves... :)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Jonathan R. WalcherJonathan R. Walcher Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2007
    I'm super excited for you!
    Lynne:
    First, you’re great at this Lynne….you’re work is really top notch.

In response to your question, I don't usually chime in much on stuff like this but I figured I share my recent experience. My wife and I are expecting our first (A boy!) and while in the waiting room one day I noticed that someone had done exactly what you are thinking about. The problem was that it appeared they had printed a mediocre portrait on standard copy paper with a HP deskjet 600c and then cut it down so that it would fit on a coffee table. I may be exaggerating a bit here but the point is that if your going to take the risk of your first impression being made through informal means you should spend as much time and dime possible on making that impression as good as if they were meeting you first hand (you know this already though.)

Unfortunately this is, in my opinion, not exactly easy given the environment; Putting a card or brochure amongst 10 high gloss magazines and 5 other brochures designed by pharm companies and expecting it to stick out is not easy.......sooooo....my suggestion is this:

In most dr's office, once you've waited in the main room, we were shuffled back to another room to wait until the Dr actually saw us. In the rooms that we wait in, the dr. has these large (4x5 foot) cork boards absolutely covered with new born baby picks. So many that it's a little overwhelming and i'm sure caused more than one soon-to-be dad or mom to shed a tear (it did me anyway). Interestingly a few of the pics were shot by pro's and there names are prominently shown. In addition there were photo albums besides the chairs (in the exam room) which my wife and I looked through numerous times.

Getting your name into these rooms, to me, is the key. I would imagine that most docs have something similar setup to display pics that people bring in. Even if they don't, you could do things like offer to supply their office with really nice blank, albums with your name on them so that when the doc's office gets the pics they have your album to stick them in. You can also buy card holders to attach to the cork boards on the corner or something.

In thinking more about the binders….if this was me...and it may be some day....I would order 5 super-slick binders that nice enough to fit the decor of any Drs office with cards attached to in the inside covers along with a message from me that details my services inside the front cover all the while making sure to clearly point out “Album generously provided by me. Pictures herein were taken by expectant parents like yourself.”

Or go with the book idea....get a hard back book printed with your best shots....include a glossy cover and viola.

In the early morning, I would bring the albums in a big box with my cards, card holders, brochures…essentially my media/pr packet ANNNND, most importantly, some donuts or fresh fruit, and may be a box of coffee from panera bread for the office manager and crew (pharmaceutical reps learned along time ago that food wins clients). Btw, I suggest the food because I used to deliver it for the pharm reps and i know how happy it makes the office when it arrives.

Sorry for the rambling.....There are million ways to approach how you sell your self once you “get into the exam rooms” so to speak….getting there is the key in my opinion.

My 2 cents....

Jonathan R. Walcher
    Focusing on Event, Portrait, and Humanitarian Work....
    www.jonathanwphotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2007
    Lynne:
    First, you’re great at this Lynne….you’re work is really top notch.

Wow, didn't expect that one! Thanks for the confidence boost! There's so much competition out there, and i'm nearing the end of my start up resources, so I've been feeling a bit hopeless.

Unfortunately this is, in my opinion, not exactly easy given the environment; Putting a card or brochure amongst 10 high gloss magazines and 5 other brochures designed by pharm companies and expecting it to stick out is not easy.......sooooo....my suggestion is this:

In most dr's office, once you've waited in the main room, we were shuffled back to another room to wait until the Dr actually saw us. In the rooms that we wait in, the dr. has these large (4x5 foot) cork boards absolutely covered with new born baby picks. So many that it's a little overwhelming and i'm sure caused more than one soon-to-be dad or mom to shed a tear (it did me anyway). Interestingly a few of the pics were shot by pro's and there names are prominently shown. In addition there were photo albums besides the chairs (in the exam room) which my wife and I looked through numerous times.

Getting your name into these rooms, to me, is the key. I would imagine that most docs have something similar setup to display pics that people bring in. Even if they don't, you could do things like offer to supply their office with really nice blank, albums with your name on them so that when the doc's office gets the pics they have your album to stick them in. You can also buy card holders to attach to the cork boards on the corner or something.

In thinking more about the binders….if this was me...and it may be some day....I would order 5 super-slick binders that nice enough to fit the decor of any Drs office with cards attached to in the inside covers along with a message from me that details my services inside the front cover all the while making sure to clearly point out “Album generously provided by me. Pictures herein were taken by expectant parents like yourself.”

Or go with the book idea....get a hard back book printed with your best shots....include a glossy cover and viola.

In the early morning, I would bring the albums in a big box with my cards, card holders, brochures…essentially my media/pr packet ANNNND, most importantly, some donuts or fresh fruit, and may be a box of coffee from panera bread for the office manager and crew (pharmaceutical reps learned along time ago that food wins clients). Btw, I suggest the food because I used to deliver it for the pharm reps and i know how happy it makes the office when it arrives.

Sorry for the rambling.....There are million ways to approach how you sell your self once you “get into the exam rooms” so to speak….getting there is the key in my opinion.

My 2 cents....

Jonathan R. Walcher

This is all fantastic, priceless advice. clap.gif I have never seen photographers' work in an office, I had no idea some actually have albums in there! I had a long conversation with my mom last night after reading your post. She worked on an OB unit for 20 years (hmmm, wonder why I'm in healthcare marketing and an aspiring maternity/newborn photog!!??) I think I've decided to continue with the book idea, but like you said, include four or five for the exam rooms, and instead of just hoping to get it in the waiting room for a passive sale....pull out the stops and show up with food, brochures etc. That way I've established a relationship I can follow up on, in the future, and maybe expand.

Now, this will cut down on how many I'm able to do in this first pass. So I've decided to concentrate on physicians of two of my clients. One was my physician also, so that's a plus. Of course pushing the fact heavily that their patients are prominently featured in the books and that's why they were "chosen" mwink.gif. My mom knows the other OB, and happens to know that she is VERY much about the whole female maternity experience, and would be more interested in those pics.

Another idea...mom is close friends with the director of childbirth ed for that hospital....so I'm considering some sort of deal to offer them...any thoughts? Giving away and/or selling books to a class - profits go to X charity? Sponsoring class fees for underserved patients? Or just trying to get a brochure in the welcome packet??

My head is spinning and I'm getting very excited.

I'd like to know a bit more about the albums you're talking about. I just can't get an idea of the style...are they traditional (but stylish) photo albums with cellophane sheets? Or binders....??
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Michael RayMichael Ray Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Lynne

From my observations over the years, I can tell you'll do well in pretty much any direction you choose. Most photographers don't realize the importance of marketing and don't give much thought to it. The people in this industry that "make it", are the ones that have a secondary interest in marketing. I've seen a lot of talented photographers leave the industry and a lot of so-so photographers do quite well. It's all in the interest, the dedication, the passion, and the persistence.

Keep thinking about marketing and take some chances with your ideas. Some will work and some won't. But in the end, it sure beats not doing anything.

Good luck
    Michael Ray

Food Photography How-to site
    http://www.foodportfolio.com/blog

Self-Proclaimed Photography SEO Guru
    http://www.foodportfolio.com/seo

Commercial Photography How-to site
    http://www.professionalphotography101.com
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Lynne, In response to your original question...

My wife and I just had a baby daughter, and after being home for just over a week we got a nice post card advertisement in the mail from Yuen Lui Studios, advertising a special on baby photography.

Although I am familiar with them, I have never had any dealings with them, and my wife and didn't sign up for any baby marketing info, and this is the first time I ever received anything from them, so I don't think its coincidence.

My point is that there is likely a way to target direct mailing to new parents. Someone sells that list, and someone likely provides a service on how to target direct mailing to new parents.

I have no idea how much this kind of marketing would cost, and I hate to encourage more junk mail, but this post card advertisement was really nice, and if I wasn't into taking my own pictures, I might have considered hiring them.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    Lynne

From my observations over the years, I can tell you'll do well in pretty much any direction you choose. Most photographers don't realize the importance of marketing and don't give much thought to it. The people in this industry that "make it", are the ones that have a secondary interest in marketing. I've seen a lot of talented photographers leave the industry and a lot of so-so photographers do quite well. It's all in the interest, the dedication, the passion, and the persistence.

Keep thinking about marketing and take some chances with your ideas. Some will work and some won't. But in the end, it sure beats not doing anything.

Good luck

thanks Michael. I've always secretly hoped I had a competitive advantage given my marketing education and professional background. But its still a lot of work and a long road ahead for me to turn photography into a full-time income, which is my goal. I may never be a fantastic photographer but I have heard many many times that there is a level of equity where marketing becomes much more an indicator of success than skill. I'm just trying to get there! :) thanks for the comments.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Lynne, In response to your original question...

I have no idea how much this kind of marketing would cost, and I hate to encourage more junk mail, but this post card advertisement was really nice, and if I wasn't into taking my own pictures, I might have considered hiring them.

Thanks for the input! I buy these lists occasionally for my day job and they can be in the tens of thousands, depending on the number of zip codes you include. Plus the cost of printing thousands of cards. I'm looking to do more grass roots, hyper-targeted stuff right now given my budget.

There's a saying in the marketing/communication world that it's not junk mail if you want the service. With advertising's trend toward niche marketing I couldn't agree more.
    Canon 5D MkI