Options

Kyson Vista CIS & Canon i9900 - pigmented inks??

rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited August 29, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
Hi - does anyone have experience with the Kyson Vista CIS on the Canon i9900 using the K4 Vista Pigmented ink set? I'm quite surprized that they offer a pigmented inkset on this printer, given that it's typically dye-based. How does this work without clogging or damaging the printer?!?

Also, I'm having trouble finding anything out there about the quality of this ink or CIS product. Perhaps that in itself is a warning! Hopefully some folks here can share their experiences.

Info: http://www.kyson.yangportal.com/Canon%20i9950%20K.htm

I wonder if the K4 Vista inks are the same as the MIS K4 inks...
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ttheinzttheinz Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2007
    Canon i9900 and pigment inks!!!
    I have the i9900 and have considered selling it due to the fact that it won't print with pigment inks so I contacted Kyson and this was theit reply:

Hi,

Many of our customers who use Canon printers have been trying to ask us to develop a pigment ink system for the Canon printers because they want to have a better competitive edge against the Epson line of printers. Epson printers use pigmented ink for their archival qualities. We therefore developed the patented K4 pigmented ink for the Canon printers due to the demand. It has been tested to be 100% compatible with Canon. Thank you.

Dan
    Kyson USA

So what the heck, i ordered a set.
    Troy
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    ttheinz wrote:
    So what the heck, i ordered a set.
    Troy

Cool! Thanks for being a pioneer... :)

Once you receive it, would you mind posting a writeup here? I'm particularlly interested in the output quality (obviously)... It would be very interesting if you were able to print out the same test image (say, one from here: http://www.normankoren.com/printer_calibration.html) on the same paper with the Canon inks and then the Kyson pigmented set.

When asked about profiles, they claim that the inks are so close to the Canon inks that they don't need different profiles (which I find a little hard to swallow...).
  • Options
    MikeKellyMikeKelly Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2007
    Try InkRepublic CIS
    I know the only CIS that works for Pigment ink is from http://www.InkRepublic.com and they have nothing but GREAT reputation in this industry.

It has very different design other than similiar and cheap CIS you could find on the market. InkRepublic's CIS can avoid the clogging problem and can delivery pigment ink smoothly.

check the review section

http://www.inkrepublic.com/reviews.asp

good luck!
  • Options
    two slowtwo slow Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Is this worth it? I have an i9900 and would like to know. Maybe I should be looking to a different printer altogether.
    D50, 28-105mm, 150mm, 300mm f/4
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    I never pursued the CIS option for my i9900. It's probably because the printers weren't profiled correctly, but I'm not a fan of the look of the mediastreet inks v the canon oem inks.

I still like my 9900, but just use the oem inks... if I were to buy a new printer today I'd probably get the epson 3800, both for the 17" paper handling as well as the improved b&w capabilities (b&w is not the i9900's strong suit).
  • Options
    two slowtwo slow Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    rdlugosz wrote:
    I never pursued the CIS option for my i9900. It's probably because the printers weren't profiled correctly, but I'm not a fan of the look of the mediastreet inks v the canon oem inks.

I still like my 9900, but just use the oem inks... if I were to buy a new printer today I'd probably get the epson 3800, both for the 17" paper handling as well as the improved b&w capabilities (b&w is not the i9900's strong suit).
    Thanks for the reply. I already have the i9900, but this thing drinks to much ink. That is one reason I was looking to get a tank system. And if I was going through that then I might as well look at getting pigmented inks. If the inks don't look good though maybe I should look into some other printer.
    D50, 28-105mm, 150mm, 300mm f/4
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2007
    two slow wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I already have the i9900, but this thing drinks to much ink. That is one reason I was looking to get a tank system. And if I was going through that then I might as well look at getting pigmented inks. If the inks don't look good though maybe I should look into some other printer.

It does go through ink quickly & remember that it's using the tiny cartridges. The newer high-end Canons and Epsons use larger cartridges which is much better for economy.
  • Options
    epsonuserepsonuser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2008
    kyson " pigment" inks
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Cool! Thanks for being a pioneer... :)

Once you receive it, would you mind posting a writeup here? I'm particularlly interested in the output quality (obviously)... It would be very interesting if you were able to print out the same test image (say, one from here: http://www.normankoren.com/printer_calibration.html) on the same paper with the Canon inks and then the Kyson pigmented set.

When asked about profiles, they claim that the inks are so close to the Canon inks that they don't need different profiles (which I find a little hard to swallow...).

Don't need a different profile because it is not pigment ink , kyson only claims it is. See http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00JRDw for more detail.
  • Options
    CharlieCharlieCharlieCharlie Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2008
    Hi,

I've had a Kyson Pro 9000 Ink System for almost a year and a half now. It is labelled as K4 Pigment ink and my prints have been decent so far. I can only compare it to other prints I made with the original canon inks and I have not seen much difference in fading or color. I did approach them for an explanation of how they formulated their inks and the following was what they emailed me:

"Unlike traditional pigment based inks on the market today where the pigments are simply granules ground into a solution, the K4 Pigment inks are composed of particles dissolved in a special solvent and will precipitate out onto the print media only on contact. For this reason, K4 Pigment inks are superior over their competitors in peformance and longevity and have overcome the clogging issues so familiar with inkjet systems."

Until Canon stops emptying my pockets for their ink, I am happy with what I am getting with these kyson ink systems.
  • Options
    epsonuserepsonuser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2008
    dissolved in a special solvent
    So now they are claiming their pigment ink is solvent based ?
    How would a dye (water) based printhead be able to handle that ?
    This is by the same company that claims they can put 110ml of ink
    in their 55ml ink reservoirs and can change ink types simply by changing the lables. (see Bill Wong's posting on http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00JRDw for more details).