Options

Key Words

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited April 21, 2005 in SmugMug Support
awesome, onethumb, ben, jt and baldy! thank you :D this is huuuuuuuge

i see that smugmug has added keyword tags and also support of iptc data :clap :clap :clap

wtg, guys, thanks this is big.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    And finally - drum roll - the TIMELINE!!!!
    andy wrote:
    awesome, onethumb, ben, jt and baldy! thank you :D this is huuuuuuuge

i see that smugmug has added keyword tags and also support of iptc data clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

wtg, guys, thanks this is big.
    SmuGUYS! THANK YOU!!!!clap.gif Iclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 8, 2005
    Yeah, onethumb's been working on some very cool, very important stuff that we've had a lot of requests for. He's doing a soft launch with the keyword tags because the database is busy scrounging up keywords from the filenames of our 13,500,000 images. It's going to take some time.

But you can see how to tag your photos with keywords using the bulk caption tool.

He went live with 3 other features too. One's in soft launch mode like keywords. Can you find them? mwink.gif
  • Options
    Erik OlsenErik Olsen Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    timeline
    How do i get to this screen?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3389&stc=1
    Thank you,

• Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    Erik Olsen wrote:
    How do i get to this screen?

timeline.gif
    Like keywords, it will appear on your home page and you can hide/show it and also move it higher or lower on your home page.

We're soft launching it like keywords, and that's why it hasn't shown up on your home page yet. The database has to scour EXIF for 13,500,000 images... Ouch that could take a long time.

Keywords on the other hand, don't come from EXIF and perhaps they'll be done by tomorrow.

Nikolai, I had missed in your post that you had noticed the timeline. Sorry about that.

If it looks like the timeline could take a long time before we can place it on your home page, I'll make a note of that in the help section.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    Hey Nikolai,

Take a look at the news page (link on the footer).
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    Hey, thanks a lot man!
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey Nikolai,

Appreciate it!

I have only one favor to ask: can you guys let me (and your other 3dparty vendors, e.g. rutt) know about those new kewl features sometime in advance?
    I can do an NDA if you need it and promise to keep my big mouth shut (about new stuff, naturally:-) until you roll it out. That will actually kill at least several ducks in one shot:
    • all your customers would get all the tools ready and consistent at the same time
    • your R&D team will get (confidential) QA confirmation/bug reports from us
    • we would not be in (such) a rush to become compliant - hence less bugs on our side
    Other than that - once again, great features, and thank you very much for the promotion (and the other things:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Is upload API updated?
    I noticed some API changed witht he new info.
    However I tried to use "Keywords" field in Upload Via Post method and it didn't pick it up.
    I can't believe it: all my RAD coding and ignoring screaming children and wheeping wife for the last two hours - all in vain???

Here is the field order I tried:
    1. KEY_ALBUMID
    2. KEY_SESSIONID
    3. KEY_CAPTION
    4. KEY_KEYWORDS (= "Keywords", same as in createAlbum)
    5. KEY_BYTECOUNT
    6. KEY_MD5SUM
    7. KEY_VERSION
    It uploaded the images OK but put the filenames into keywords fields

OneThumb? Baldy?
  • Options
    sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    additional documentation
    Baldy wrote:
    If it looks like the timeline could take a long time before we can place it on your home page, I'll make a note of that in the help section.

Could you also add some information about how keywords and timeline browsing interact with categories, password-protected/private galleries and sharegroups?

For example,
    * if a photo in a password protected gallery has tag 'foo', would it show up if someone is browsing the keyword, but lacks the cookie for the gallery?
    * if you select a category (e.g. 'weddings') will the list of keywords be limited to those that are attached to photos in a gallery in the weddings category? (similarly for sub-categories).
    * if you're browsing a sharegroup, will keywords be limited to those in the sharegroup?

Thanks!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey Nikolai,

By soft launch, I take it that it's not fully implemented? In other words, the fact that I can't find the pictures by the keyword I entered for them is expected at this point?

Also, on the news page, no mention of Picturesync for us Mac folks? It's a nice alternative to the smugmug uploader.

Oh, and THANK YOU for keywords and timeline. I was drooling over that over at Flickr, and am MIGHTY pleased that you're making changes in that direction. You guys have built such a great place here, and the dgrinners and smugmuggers are damn lucky to have found you. Thanks.

(working on 320 referrals and that 20D!)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ...and also support of iptc data

I should note, we've had IPTC support for years. Almost since our inception. We've been populating keywords the entire time, and feeding our search. Browsing them, and editing them, though, is new.

'Caption' and 'Keywords' are IPTC fields we check on every upload.

Don
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    sit wrote:
    Could you also add some information about how keywords and timeline browsing interact with categories, password-protected/private galleries and sharegroups?

For example,
    * if a photo in a password protected gallery has tag 'foo', would it show up if someone is browsing the keyword, but lacks the cookie for the gallery?

Keywords and dates browsing for private and/or passworded galleries doesn't work. Only publicly viewable galleries.
    sit wrote:
    * if you select a category (e.g. 'weddings') will the list of keywords be limited to those that are attached to photos in a gallery in the weddings category? (similarly for sub-categories).

* if you're browsing a sharegroup, will keywords be limited to those in the sharegroup?

Nope, keywords can be browsed by overall user, or by all smugmug tags, but not categories, galleries, or subcategories.

Don
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    By soft launch, I take it that it's not fully implemented? In other words, the fact that I can't find the pictures by the keyword I entered for them is expected at this point?

Also, on the news page, no mention of Picturesync for us Mac folks? It's a nice alternative to the smugmug uploader.

Oh, and THANK YOU for keywords and timeline. I was drooling over that over at Flickr, and am MIGHTY pleased that you're making changes in that direction. You guys have built such a great place here, and the dgrinners and smugmuggers are damn lucky to have found you. Thanks.

It's a "softlaunch" in that it's not exposed publicly. But you can see it for yourself if you know what the super-secret URLs are. :)

A few words of caution first: we're still populating all "old" keywords. This will probably take at least a day. We're still populating all "old" upload times for images uploaded prior to today. That'll probably take a few days. Finally, we're still extracting old EXIF data for images uploaded more than a few months ago. That will probably take a month or more.

Now, those secret URLs:

http://www.smugmug.com/keyword/

http://yoursmugmugname.smugmug.com/keyword/

http://yoursmugmugname.smugmug.com/date/

http://yoursmugmugname.smugmug.com/?showGoodies=1

Enjoy!

Don
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Appreciate it!

I have only one favor to ask: can you guys let me (and your other 3dparty vendors, e.g. rutt) know about those new kewl features sometime in advance?
    I can do an NDA if you need it and promise to keep my big mouth shut (about new stuff, naturally:-) until you roll it out. That will actually kill at least several ducks in one shot:
    • all your customers would get all the tools ready and consistent at the same time
    • your R&D team will get (confidential) QA confirmation/bug reports from us
    • we would not be in (such) a rush to become compliant - hence less bugs on our side
    Other than that - once again, great features, and thank you very much for the promotion (and the other things:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif

Sorry, Nikolai, but smugmug's feature -> QA -> release cycle is so short, this wouldn't make a lot of sense. We only really started testing these features last night, and they're already released.

Plus, there's no API support for them at all yet. :)

If we ever have anything major, I'm sure we'll try to keep people in the loop.

Don
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I noticed some API changed witht he new info.
    However I tried to use "Keywords" field in Upload Via Post method and it didn't pick it up.
    I can't believe it: all my RAD coding and ignoring screaming children and wheeping wife for the last two hours - all in vain???

Here is the field order I tried:
    1. KEY_ALBUMID
    2. KEY_SESSIONID
    3. KEY_CAPTION
    4. KEY_KEYWORDS (= "Keywords", same as in createAlbum)
    5. KEY_BYTECOUNT
    6. KEY_MD5SUM
    7. KEY_VERSION
    It uploaded the images OK but put the filenames into keywords fields

OneThumb? Baldy?

You'll note it's not documented in the API docs. That's because it's not exposed. :)

If the images have IPTC Keywords or intelligent words within the filename, they'll get populated, otherwise you're outta luck. I'm sure we'll expose it at some point, but there's a long list of things that need to happen first. :)

Don
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    You're too busy with this stuff to go have a burger* with me? headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif

*or small fruit salad, in your case.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    It's a "softlaunch" in that it's not exposed publicly. But you can see it for yourself if you know what the super-secret URLs are. :)

A few words of caution first: we're still populating all "old" keywords. This will probably take at least a day. We're still populating all "old" upload times for images uploaded prior to today. That'll probably take a few days. Finally, we're still extracting old EXIF data for images uploaded more than a few months ago. That will probably take a month or more.

Now, those secret URLs:

http://www.smugmug.com/keyword/

http://yoursmugmugname.smugmug.com/keyword/

http://yoursmugmugname.smugmug.com/date/

http://yoursmugmugname.smugmug.com/?showGoodies=1

Enjoy!

Don

Oh, one other thing: we're busy cleaning up all the bogus words and expanding our stopwords list as the keywords filter in. So you guys are getting a sneak preview of an unfinished thing, take it with big grains of salt. :)

Don
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Are you liking Picturesync? I hadn't heard from enough users nor tried it myself to be confident yet in it. Someone said they were disappointed to learn that it resized their photos.

Flickr's done a couple of good things and those tags are one of them. Our implementation is somewhat different. We liked to see the number of results in ( ), plus we saw a lot of added noise by using gallery titles in the tags, so we left them out. It will be interesting to see if you think we made the right decisions as we build experience with it.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Are you liking Picturesync? I hadn't heard from enough users nor tried it myself to be confident yet in it. Someone said they were disappointed to learn that it resized their photos.

Thanks,
    Baldy

I just took a look at Picturesync. This thread is the first I've ever heard of it. Right off the start I had a few problems with the app, so I deleted it.

1.) to upload more than 8mb at a time you have to pay $8. Not a big deal if it was a useful app.

2.) Crashed a few times on me, and kept getting weird errors when I tried selecting iView Media Pro as my photo management app.

3.) I don't have iPhoto installed on my PB. When the app would error out trying to use iView, it would default to iPhoto. It wanted me to try & locate iPhoto, I'd hit cancel, it would come up again.

I'll stick with the smugmug uploader for now. So far it's been rock solid for me since day 1.

Dave
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    oops
    onethumb wrote:
    I should note, we've had IPTC support for years. Almost since our inception. We've been populating keywords the entire time, and feeding our search. Browsing them, and editing them, though, is new.

'Caption' and 'Keywords' are IPTC fields we check on every upload.

Don

in my excitement i muffed up :D

thanks don!
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    Key Words
    when doing key words under the new system.. what is the best way to seperate the words. is it better to do like sf, bridge? or no comma and have sf bridge?
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Ah c..:-)
    onethumb wrote:
    Sorry, Nikolai, but smugmug's feature -> QA -> release cycle is so short, this wouldn't make a lot of sense. We only really started testing these features last night, and they're already released.

Plus, there's no API support for them at all yet. :)

If we ever have anything major, I'm sure we'll try to keep people in the loop.

Don
    That's understandable. I simply was under impression that major changes like these usually go through more rigorous testing phase (you mentioned that about other features some time ago, e.g. shopping cart). Anyway, I think with the "soft launch" approach and having our users generally satisfied with what they have now, I think we can afford to have a few - temporary - discrepancies:-). So I much rather prefer to have the new features like keywords and being late on them myself as opposed to "being in the loop" and not having them at all or having them much later:-)

Thanks!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Oops
    onethumb wrote:
    You'll note it's not documented in the API docs. That's because it's not exposed. :)

If the images have IPTC Keywords or intelligent words within the filename, they'll get populated, otherwise you're outta luck. I'm sure we'll expose it at some point, but there's a long list of things that need to happen first. :)

Don
    That does mean I'm out of luck.. And I already added that image keywords support - from UI to options to engine...Foolish me..:cry That what I get for "running in front of the steam engine" (that's Russian saying for this kind of things:-)

May I at least ask to consider adding them in this exact manner - just as another field in Upload Via Post, named "Keywords"? This would probably be THE most natural and easy way for you at any rate, but at least it would also mean that I don't have to recode things from scratch..

The REALLY sad:cry news (for me and for all twenty or so SE users, still have no idea about the size of my audience:-) is that since I already made the said change, I will not be able to deploy the new version until the API change. So if somebody was planning on having auto album creation, pre-downlowad EXIF/IPTC support and other - already added and tested - goodies - sorry, no can do..ne_nau.gif Which is probably good: gives me more time to test and polish things, so I should be grateful instead of bitching:-)clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    when doing key words under the new system.. what is the best way to seperate the words. is it better to do like sf, bridge? or no comma and have sf bridge?
    Hi Aaron,

Here's a reference that should help: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

You can just separate them by spaces, but if you want sf bridge to be one tag instead of two, it needs to be entered as "sf bridge".

(Actually, sf is too short to be a keyword tag unless it's entered as "sf.)

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi Aaron,

Here's a reference that should help: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

You can just separate them by spaces, but if you want sf bridge to be one tag instead of two, it needs to be entered as "sf bridge".

(Actually, sf is too short to be a keyword tag unless it's entered as "sf.)

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I'm happily going through all my shots adding key words.. it won't affect it that I'm seperating words by commas will it???ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Baldy wrote:

Flickr's done a couple of good things and those tags are one of them. Our implementation is somewhat different. We liked to see the number of results in ( ), plus we saw a lot of added noise by using gallery titles in the tags, so we left them out. It will be interesting to see if you think we made the right decisions as we build experience with it.

Thanks,
    Baldy

I haven't used it enough yet to have a real answer for you. Resizing is an option you can disable. When it was set to resize, as it is by default, it hung in the process. When I disabled the resizing, it works fine. I tested it one day after they began supporting smugmug, so I'm sure there could be some bugs to work out yet.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Keywords and private galleries
    Will my family be able to search by keyword for private galleries, too?

If not, what's the best way to keep galleries private and still allow my family to search across multiple galleries to find the shot they want?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Keywords and dates browsing for private and/or passworded galleries doesn't work. Only publicly viewable galleries.
    Don (from another thread)

Rats!:cry

I finally changed all my family galleries to private and added them
    to a share group. I sure would like to be able to search for "grandpa" etc.
    under the ShareGroup. Please, please, please. :D
    Al

DavidTO wrote:

If not, what's the best way to keep galleries private and still allow my family to search across multiple galleries to find the shot they want?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm happily going through all my shots adding key words.. it won't affect it that I'm seperating words by commas will it???ne_nau.gif

Spaces are the only seperator we officially recognize.

However, I think if you enter: london,paris,rome

we'll probably turn it into: london paris rome

for you.. But no promises. :)

If you want: New York

to be one word, though, it must be "New York". This won't cut it: New York,London, Paris.

That'll make: new york london paris

(New York becomes two keywords, new and york.)

Clear as mud?

Don
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    thank you every one.. and yes it's clear as mud can be.. lolrolleyes1.gif
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Errr... Ummm... I'm afraid you're ahead of at least me. We're still working on getting the kinks out of doing the keywords for public galleries...

Onethumb my have some thoughts but I know he's working pretty hard on issues that are coming up wrt stopwords, mapping relationships between words, user interface, etc.