20D noise reduction setting question

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
edited January 10, 2007 in Cameras
For long exposures needing the noise reduction setting, does one need to keep the camera turned on while the dark frame is processing? I looked in the manual, searched here and I couldn't find the answer (it is here somewhere I'm sure, but my eyes are bleeding from trying to locate it).

Some cameras will process the dark frame while the cam is off, and I don't know if the 20D is among those.
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    David,
    David_S85 wrote:
    For long exposures needing the noise reduction setting, does one need to keep the camera turned on while the dark frame is processing? I looked in the manual, searched here and I couldn't find the answer (it is here somewhere I'm sure, but my eyes are bleeding from trying to locate it).

Some cameras will process the dark frame while the cam is off, and I don't know if the 20D is among those.

AFAIK, yes, you need to keep the camera ON.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

I havnt tried turning it off however that would kill power to the cmos etc... it would have to be volatile memory running things like the cmos i assume thus loss of information.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 10, 2007
    OK, Thanks, guys. I thought turning it off might mess up the works. I might try it both ways (one of these days, weeks, etc.) to see what happens.

Its nice to know the camera will turn itself off after getting in at 2:30am and having the dark frame do its thing for another half hour.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited January 10, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

If you turn off a 20D while it is in the middle of writing from its buffer to the memory card, it ignores the power switch and just keeps on processing till it has finished, then shuts down. I don't really know for sure, but it might do the same thing with noise reduction. I suppose it would be easy enough to test.

Other than curiosity, I'm not sure what difference it makes. headscratch.gif If you have been up late shooting star trails and want to go to bed, you can just leave the camera on...it will shift into standby mode when it has finished processing the pic.