Cameron at twelve days old

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited January 11, 2007 in People
From Sunday....C&C Welcome! Credit to photogmomma for her stellar Lightroom advice. :bow

122254458-L.jpg

2. is the high key too much here? or does itwork?
122260441-L.jpg

3. big sis..
122254982-L.jpg

122259243-L.jpg

122254070-L.jpg

122259724-L.jpg

see the rest: http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/2336606
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 10, 2007
    nice pics and beautiful baby-

really liked that last one-
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    These are simply wonderful. The last one is so special. All three look like they are smiling. What a treasure.

Virginia

Email
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    These are simply wonderful. The last one is so special. All three look like they are smiling. What a treasure.

Virginia

awww, thanks guys! I was afraid everyone was getting tired of baby pictures!!! :) Newborns are tough but I'm getting better at the flow....shoot for 5 minutes....feed/calm down for 25.....shoot for another 5.....repeat! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited January 10, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    nice pics and beautiful baby-

really liked that last one-

yeah got lucky on that one! thanks for commenting.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Ahhh how sweet. They ALL look just beautiful...good job!
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    They're a lovely series of shots, well done, could I ask what your camera setting were for the last one?

Charlie
    edited January 10, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    They're a lovely series of shots, well done, could I ask what your camera setting were for the last one?

Charlie

thanks Charlie!! These were shot w/ the 20D and the Sigma 24-70 2.8
    shot this one with diffused window light to camera right, I was on a stepstool shooting from above.

Aperture: f/4.0 ISO: 800 Focal Length: 39mm Exposure Time: 0.0125s (1/80)Flash:Flash did not fire, compulsory flash modeExposure Program:Aperture priorityExposure Bias:0ExposureMode:0White Balance:manual
    Canon 5D MkI
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    What a great job of capturing a beautiful family! You should be very pleased with these. The last one is wonderful, and although I like them all, I do like the #3 shot of big sis, too! I think the high key #2 is fine, it does not give that "floating in space" effect, as I am able to see just enough detail of the blanket/rug to know the baby is grounded! thumb.gif
  • kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful!!! A friend of mine is pregnant and has asked me to photograph at the birth and take some b/w shots of the newborn. I'm really nervous about it!!! I'm concerned about the hospital lighting, mostly. Your pictures are definitely very inspiring... I hope mine come out half as good as yours did!! :)

Kim
    edited January 10, 2007
    kjs wrote:
    Absolutely beautiful!!! A friend of mine is pregnant and has asked me to photograph at the birth and take some b/w shots of the newborn. I'm really nervous about it!!! I'm concerned about the hospital lighting, mostly. Your pictures are definitely very inspiring... I hope mine come out half as good as yours did!! :)

Kim

Thanks for your feedback! Contrary to what you might think, hospitals have beautiful lighting (IMO). Lots of moody can lights, usually staff is very accommodating to which ones you (ahem, the MOM) want on and during a procedure (like childbirth) they have those big positionable spots! Just make sure you have a fast prime to avoid flash (50mm 1.8 if nothing else) and don't worry too much about noise. Here's a link to a birth I covered. (ETA disclaimer: these were posted on Shutterfly BS (Before Smugmug) and now that I'm used to Smugmug, their compression was horrendous!)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    iloveyou.giflustvery beautiful series congratulation
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited January 10, 2007
    iloveyou.giflustvery beautiful series congratulation

thanks awais, i'm flattered!!! :D you do such amazing work.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • kjskjs Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Thanks, Lynne!! I just happen to own a 50 mm f/1.8! :) So, that's great news! My daughter was born in the hospital in the middle of the night and my son was born at home in the middle of the day!! So, my perspectives are a bit different... in more ways than just lighting! Laughing.gif! I think of hospitals as having either florescent lighting or very dim lighting. So, it's great to hear your perspective. And, thank you for sharing the pictures of the previous birth, as well... gave me some great inspiration of how to document some of the details. (I liked the clock!!!)

Great work!!

Kim
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Beautiful
    That last one is just so alive and everyone looks so happy and calm. It looks like it will be treasured for years to come.

I think of all the photos I took of my grandson's birth, my daughter and son-in-law's favorite is one of the three of them together. He was born during the day and I had a large window to place him by, so the lighting was pretty good.

It's well worth the 5 minutes of photography and the 25 minutes of calming down... excellent results!

I had a huge western facing picture window which I used whenever I could to photography my grandson when he was an infant. Nothing worked better!

If you need to use flash, I've found swiveling the flash behind me or bouncing it slightly behind and to the left or right also gives very pleasing light. Also, try making one of those "foamy" bounce accessories for your flash if you have one. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47275
    edited January 10, 2007
    Dee wrote:
    That last one is just so alive and everyone looks so happy and calm. It looks like it will be treasured for years to come.

I think of all the photos I took of my grandson's birth, my daughter and son-in-law's favorite is one of the three of them together. He was born during the day and I had a large window to place him by, so the lighting was pretty good.

It's well worth the 5 minutes of photography and the 25 minutes of calming down... excellent results!

I had a huge western facing picture window which I used whenever I could to photography my grandson when he was an infant. Nothing worked better!

If you need to use flash, I've found swiveling the flash behind me or bouncing it slightly behind and to the left or right also gives very pleasing light. Also, try making one of those "foamy" bounce accessories for your flash if you have one. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47275

Dee, thanks for your thoughtful comments! Everyone seems to like that last one, its funny, I almost didn't put it up on Dgrin b/c it's a group shot...and they tend to lack personality. Glad you disagree!

Re: flash, in the low key one of him sleeping, I did use a Sto-Fen omni bounce on my speedlite. I wish now I would have bounced it off the wall behind me....but a sleeping naked baby took 30 min to get him to sleep, then on the couch, then I had about 10 seconds after Mom slowly slipped the diaper off before he woke up and wailed. It was my 3rd time trying this and the first time it worked. :ivar
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited January 11, 2007
    paging photogmomma!!! :)
    Well, the family placed a HUGE order (my biggest ever!) So I'm thrilled, even though I don't mark my prints up much. Two of the images she ordered 8x12s of I am not 100% sure about my color correction thus far. Looking for advice on white balance and or other issues. I just want this order to be PERFECT. And I just started using Proof Delay, so getting to be more of a perfectionist. THANK YOU!!!

1. (I will clean up the blotchiness on infant's face)
    122257542-L.jpg

2. I had cleaned up the top R background in one of the shots, but she chose the un-edited version. I don't think this is the best shot (as good as the color version of #6 in the OP) Do you think I should call and ask her about it? 122259480-L.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    edited January 11, 2007
    BUMP! (i need the help tonight!) :)
    Canon 5D MkI