Over a century and still kicking...

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited January 10, 2007 in People
I don't really shoot portraits very much, so I'm very very VERY open to constructive criticism here!

This is my great-great aunt Gusta. She turns 103 this March and is one of the most amazing people I have ever had the fortune to meet:

122217476-M.jpg

She was born in Germany in 1904 as one of 13 children and to this day tells stories about her life as a young girl in the country. I never get tired of hearing tales of her family's prominence in an era when rail travel was the vogue, and how she was excited to move to America despite all the cultural differences. She is the only person I know (and will probably ever know) who regularly traveled back to Germany by boat.

That said, I don't much have a feel for portraiture and especially what makes good lighting in portraits. This was shot using light from a window but I've love to hear any comments about how this could have been done better. Thanks!

Comments

• asylumxlasylumxl Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    fill flash or a little photoshop will fix the shadows right up :D.
    "If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?" (Steven Wright)
    gear.LIST
    Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, Tamron, 55-200mm, Canon EF 50MM MKII
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    asylumxl wrote:
    fill flash or a little photoshop will fix the shadows right up :D.

So the shadows are too dark? I am a bit confused trying to see that very fine line between "not enough pop" and "shadows are too dark." When processing this shot I did pull down the shadows end of the curve just a tad and bumped highlights.