My first: Waterdrop Formation Diving

chuliumchulium Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited January 11, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hey all,

New here... stumbled upon the site on digg. I have enjoyed photography since I was little but never realized it until this past summer when I took up the hobby.

I figure my first post should share what I'm best known for - even though my publicity is pathetic - this is my most popular photo:

211994798_b1c7c4b414_o.jpg

Comments/suggestions/etc appreciated. :barb

Also, I might rename this photo to "Ripple Effect". Simple, common, but it works... what do you think?

Thank you :)
-Matt
View my Flickr Photostream :: Read my Flickr Profile

Camera & Accessories: Pentax *istDL, IR/Wire Remote, Analog Light Reader, Cleaning things
Lenses: Pentax 18-55mm, Tamron 70-300mm
Software: Adobe Lightroom Beta 4, Picasa 2

** All my photos are (c) copyrighted and protected under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license. Do not use without my permission, period! **

Comments

• davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Welcome, Matt-- glad you could join us. I think you'll enjoy this site very much. In fact, don't forget to stop by the Photo challenge forum to cast your vote for the current contest.

Love the photo-- can see why it is your most popular-- shiny, smooth, hard-to-capture, and its blue! :-) Good shot.thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Welcome to the party i hope you enjoy here . Keep posting

your photos is marvel ! liked it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Matt,
    Welcome to DGrin! clap.gif

Nice droplet! thumb.gif

Mind explaining your technique on this shot? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Hello! I'm fairly new here as well. I am very glad I joined. You will be too. Awesome image. Thanks for sharing! :D

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • chuliumchulium Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    Thanks for the comments.

For my waterdrop shops, I simply find a glass piece of cookware, put water in it, then find a natural light source (our glass door is behind the image, casing sunlight onto the pan of water) - after which I set the white balance to Tungsten to make it blue.

Then, I mounted the camera on a tripod and had somebody squeeze/unplug a drop-maker I made (punching a hole in a Dixie cup with a pin or pen) and I take pictures at random, hoping to get one good shot in.

I just got lucky thumb.gif

Camera & Accessories: Pentax *istDL, IR/Wire Remote, Analog Light Reader, Cleaning things

Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs license. Do not use without my permission, period! **
  • CoreyCorey Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 10, 2007
    That's a beautiful shot, I'd like to experiment with some water droplets shots, I guess you need a lot of light and short exposures?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 10, 2007
    Corey wrote:
    a lot of light and short exposures?
    nod.gif you're trying to freeze something that's free falling

great first post, welcome aboard chulium!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Great pic !!thumb.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Thats a great shot thumb.gif Very very nice !
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Excellent capture- wonderful light and colour
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    chulium wrote:
    Hey all,

New here... stumbled upon the site on digg. I have enjoyed photography since I was little but never realized it until this past summer when I took up the hobby.
    I figure my first post should share what I'm best known for - even though my publicity is pathetic - this is my most popular photo:
    Comments/suggestions/etc appreciated. wings.gif
    Also, I might rename this photo to "Ripple Effect". Simple, common, but it works... what do you think?
    Thank you :)
    -Matt

Welcome aboard Matt :D very nice capture, the colour the water droplet shapes and I really like the reflection, and ripples in the water too clap.gif
    Thank you also for explaining how you took this shot, it's always nice to know how things are done, and it's a great learning tool for everyone else as well :D

Keep posting, enjoy the Forums ......... Skippy

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Very cool shoot...I can almost see some letters in the water. Welcome aboard...clap.gif

Love the avatar - TM 168.93 = Thulium..are you a chemistry major?
  • chuliumchulium Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Wow, thank you, everyone, for your uplifting comments. They are really appreciated, and I'm glad you like the image.
    Seneca wrote:
    Very cool shoot...I can almost see some letters in the water. Welcome aboard...clap.gif

Love the avatar - TM 168.93 = Thulium..are you a chemistry major?

The letters you see in the water are the impressions on the bottom of the glass cooking pan.

I do enjoy chemistry (when not assigned at school... ugh...) but the fact that my username relates to Thulium is a coincidence. I was thinking of a username one day and was like "Hey, 'chulium' (cool-ee-um) sounds okay..." so I picked it, and found on Google that it was a rare isotope of Thulium.

Anyway, cheers everyone.

:ivar

...the emoticons here are pretty snazzy.