Learning. (Or maybe better titled "Wanting to Learn"?)

frankiejrfrankiejr Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 12, 2007 in People
Hello,

Somehow while looking for stuff to learn with my new camera, I stumbled across this site. Figured I'd register since everyone seems so friendly and helpful.

I figure I'll just jump right in. This photo isn't all that great, but I'd love to hear what you all have to say about it. Composition aside (I was just goofing off with a friend's lens on my camera, he looked, I snapped), I'd like to see what you think I should do as far as color/contrast is concerned.

I'm REALLY bad with color adjustment, and I'm trying to learn so any suggestions would be helpful. This photo definitely looks pretty flat to me, possibly a bit dark, but I barely adjusted it in Photoshop so there's a lot of room for the fixin'.

EDIT: Almost forgot... Canon 30D, 50mm, f/1.8, 1/200, ISO100, bounced flash and regular room lighting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
.frankiejr

352408729_87527ef0f6_o.jpg
i heart my image making contraptions.

Comments

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    First of all would like to say WELCOME cheerleader.gif , this is truly a great place...so many nice people...always willing to help!

Ok the pic...I like it...but I don't like that the other eye is not in focus. JMHO...

Again welcome aboard.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Ok the pic...I like it...but I don't like that the other eye is not in focus. JMHO...

usually i would have to agree with seneca, but i think the depth of field works here. since one eye is focused very well and the other is very unfocused, i think this picture works. one could argue that the focus is on the nose rather than the close eye and that may be a concern.

i'm really digging the style of the glasses and the use of empty space. thumb.gif
    i just wish the frame of the glasses were in the frame of the picture on the left.
  • frankiejrfrankiejr Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Thanks for the comments.

I agree with most of what you both said about this image (you and I think a lot alike, binghott). This was just a really quick snapshot though, only the third I took after I put this new lens on. I was just playing with the depth of field and trying to get used to the short (physical) length of it.

My inexperience with adjusting colors is what I was thinking about when I posted this, but your comments were still spot on. If anyone has any suggestions on how I should try adjusting the colors, please let me know!

(Side note: A color nerd - the Photoshop expert at my work - was willing to give me far more suggestions than I bargained for, many which went way over my head... luckily he's more than glad to help any time. I'll repost more versions of this as I play with it.)

Thanks!
    .frankiejr
    i heart my image making contraptions.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    I have to agree with most of the above. I differ on the empty space on the extreme right. I don't really like the transition to black.

As for the nose - well, apply a little PS blur and now the focus is on the model's right eye!

I don't see the color as being too much off - it is a little magenta, but that should be easily corrected.

I think the OOF technique really works here and I think you did a wonderful job with it.