Another first attempt at B&W conversion

MoryachkaMoryachka Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 16, 2007 in Technique
Hello everybody! I've been playing around with cameras for years, first film and now digital, but I've only recently started learning to process images myself. Here is my first serious attempt at B&W conversion; I've been picking it apart for days, consulting books, the internet, and this forum, trying to get it right. I think I've hit a wall. If anyone could offer criticism, hints, etc, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here is the original photo:

122472877-L.jpg

And here is my latest version:

122251768-L.jpg

I just can't seem to figure out how to keep the wall from being completely washed out in the middle there without making the rest of the picture too dark. I tried merging two exposures of the color original, one adjusted for the walls and one adjusted for the darker lower half, then converting to B&W, but wasn't pleased with the results. It didn't have enough contrast, even after more tweaking, but then again, my photoshop "skills" are wanting improvement. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    I think you may be overthinking things a bit because I see a pretty darn good image and conversion.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Looks pretty close to me. I'd take another stab at merging two conversions & only bring the wall part down far enough to bring back texture in that highlight area. Subtlety is the key here; it only needs to be adjusted a little bit.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    There is plenty of detail in the bright part of the wall in the original, so you just need to figure out where you are losing it when you do the conversion. If you can't control it with channel blending and curves, then you might try using shadow/highlight to reduce the glare of the brightest parts.

Regards,
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    If you're pretty comfy using both curves and adjustment layers in photoshop, try this out. Open your image and create an HSB adjustment layer, and set your saturation to zero. This will make it so you can see the black and white output, even though you're still editing a color image.

next, go back to your color image, and go to image > adjust > curves. Hit the pulldown at the top so you can adjust the curves for your RGB values individually. This should let you adjust the tones in the grass (which are prediminantly green) without having too great of an effect on the wall behind.

But I don't know that all that is necessary. Its a good looking image with plenty of detail.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    I hope you don't mind, here is my attempt:

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AtruckerAtrucker Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    I think it converts rather easily. This just took a minute or so. I sharpened it a bit then used CS3 beta for the conversion. Added just a touch of contrast too.

72947425.jpg
    I have abandoned my search for Truth and am now looking for a good Fantasy.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Atrucker wrote:
    I think it converts rather easily. This just took a minute or so. I sharpened it a bit then used CS3 beta for the conversion. Added just a touch of contrast too.

72947425.jpg

My favorite so far. The warm tone helps a LOT. This is a good example of why a B&W conversion shouldn't just be desaturate 100%.
  • MoryachkaMoryachka Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2007
    Thank you all so much for your help! Sorry for my tardy reply. I will test out your advice and let you know how it goes.
  • Carbon BasedCarbon Based Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Moryachka wrote:
    Thank you all so much for your help! Sorry for my tardy reply. I will test out your advice and let you know how it goes.

Another thing you might want to try, create an adjustment layer (levels/curves your chioce) adjust it to get the desired effect in the area of concern then "paint back" the other areas with a VERY soft brush whilst playing with opacity. I use this quite a bit for B&W conversions with tricky parts.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.drawingwithlight.smugmug.com
  • dlphotographydlphotography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    I think it looks pretty good already thumb.gif
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    i think it looks pretty darned good, myself... but i went ahead and did a 30 second com3 hax anyways just for giggles.. (i really like HARSH contrast in BW shots, personally)
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Com3 I also like that harshness in certain types of B&W, but in this one you are losing some details.
    Here's my go at it. Cropped it and removed those light blue posts as well.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I hope you don't mind, I took a shot at it.

This is roughly what I did.

What I did was a very basic conversion. Then I dodged the shadows on the windows and in the for ground (dodge shadow 1%). I burned the areas I felt were going to be over exposed to preserve the detail (dodge highlight 1%). Dodged the grass and box thing to bring out highlight detail (dodge highlight 1%). Next I made levels adjustments to bring out a pop. I brought the histogram to the edges and adjusted the midtone slide a bit to darken the mid tones. Last but not least went back throught and adjusted areas with the burn and dodge tool. The idea was to preserve all detail in the highlight and shadows.

Any questions, let me know.

Mikko