Basketball with the new 24-105 F4L

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited January 13, 2007 in Sports
Good morning, have a break in the action here and I was going through some shots I took tonight at the mens bb game Heres a few

122467540-L.jpg

Look, up in the sky..................

122467615-L.jpg

Catch

122467580-L.jpg

You Better Catch Me

122478367-L.jpg

Driving To The Basket

122467594-L.jpg

Rebound

122467619-L.jpg

Nothin But Net

122467573-L.jpg

At The Buzzer

122467565-L.jpg

Not the best that I have done but I am excited about the possibilities with the new lens. It is definitely a move up for me. For those of you that shoot Basketball, any pointers you care to share as to what I can do to get better at this. I'm starting to like it :D

Have a great morning..........

Joe

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Joe, given that the convential wisdom for shooting bb is to have fast glass (ie, f/2 or better), your shots came out really well for the lens that you used! Overall, you've got some decent action, but you need FACES. But I like that you got the ball going through the net at the buzzer. Great timing and good forethought to shoot wide angle enough to get the timerthumb.gif

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Were these generally shot at f4? Didn't see EXIF in the images. Just curious, because I'm thinking of buying that lens.
  • UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    You have some great shots there but I think shooting (cropping) a little tighter might help. Have you thought about shooting from the balcony (upper level) there? Seems like you could get some cool perspective with a really clean background ne_nau.gif

great shots!
  • oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    You have some good shots for F4 , was this availiable light or did you use a flash?? What ISO did you use ?
    As stated before I would try and crop alittle tighter for faces and watch your horizons

Thanks, mark
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    oldtime wrote:
    You have some good shots for F4 , was this availiable light or did you use a flash?? What ISO did you use ?
    As stated before I would try and crop alittle tighter for faces and watch your horizons

Thanks, mark

THanks for the replies everyone. All of these were done with available light F4 ISO 1600 The university center which I shot these at was just built and I think that they paid quite a bit of attention to the lighting in the arena.

As for getting faces, the last game I sat on the other side of the court and had the same problem. I guess I'm going to have to ask if I can sit under the basket

As for shooting from the balcony I was just stuck in that seat yesterday experimenting. I will try it the next game, we will see what happens. THanks again for the replies
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    I agree - tighter crops and lose the shots without faces. 90% of such shots just aren't interesting. Any time you shoot from the side you are going to lose a percentage of the shots - no way to avoid it. The key there is, given the reduced selection you have to make the shots that are presented to you count.

You've got timing down pretty good. Now you have to be more self critical - ditch the shots of people from behind right along with any OOF shots.

You should still have opportunity for 50 good shots even limited to shooting from just one side. Just make those shots count.

I like the concept for the cheeleader shot - but it's underexposed by about a stop and a half and I would suggest croppint out the lights at the top of the shot as they are a bit distracting.
  • jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007