Strong, Silent type

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited January 11, 2007 in People
Strong-Silent-Type-IMG_20070110_5908.jpg

Something more classical this time. A closeup portrait with EF50mm F/1.4.
EXIF data here:
http://www.digital-photo.com.au/... ...Silent-Type-IMG_20070110_5908.jpg.html
By the way it was over 30C (86F)

Comments

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Love this shot Ted. The colors are great, nice change of pace from your norm. I am really drawn to this character.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    i like the guy in the picture; the jacket, hat, and glasses look great.thumb.gif i like where you were going with the picture.

i do not like the car or the red arrows in the background.
    this shot is overprocessed. maybe you were going for the overprocessed look and i don't get it. headscratch.gif was it out of focus and you tried to sharpen it to get it back?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    The DOF is shallow and the focus is on his sunglasses and hat brim. That's ok, but his unshaven face is OOF and as prominent as this part is, it gives the impression that the entire shot is out of focus for me....it draws my attention away from the parts that are in focus. I like the character and understand the background was mostly unavoidable shooting candidly. Nice change up....I like head shots. :D
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Actually there was very little post processing done. Just a Shadow/Highlight adjustment and desaturate a bit and standard USM I use for all my photos. .Nothing else.
    binghott wrote:
    i like the guy in the picture; the jacket, hat, and glasses look great.thumb.gif i like where you were going with the picture.

i do not like the car or the red arrows in the background.
    this shot is overprocessed. maybe you were going for the overprocessed look and i don't get it. headscratch.gif was it out of focus and you tried to sharpen it to get it back?
    edited January 11, 2007
    Without a fill-in flash this was a tricky shot to do.
    The contrast here is very high and you can see white clipping in the car and yet his face is very dark (I had to bring it up with Highlight/Shadow adjustment) If I tried for deeper DOF I get his face even darker. If I reach for my flash he'd be gone by then as this is shot at pedestrian crossing.

I cannot put my figer on it but I actually like the way it turned out. I may attempt a B&W conversion and see the result.
    saurora wrote:
    The DOF is shallow and the focus is on his sunglasses and hat brim. That's ok, but his unshaven face is OOF and as prominent as this part is, it gives the impression that the entire shot is out of focus for me....it draws my attention away from the parts that are in focus. I like the character and understand the background was mostly unavoidable shooting candidly. Nice change up....I like head shots. :D
    edited January 11, 2007
    Thanks. He certainly was a character.
    urbanaries wrote:
    Love this shot Ted. The colors are great, nice change of pace from your norm. I am really drawn to this character.