#@&% 20D diopter wheel!

JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited January 15, 2007 in Cameras
It really bugs me. It moves. I don't need it to move. I want to glue it in place. Loctite anyone? Or is that too extreme?

Oh, and the dual position on switch. Everytime I put the 20D to my noggin I bump it to half-on with my cheek. I just need it all the way on.

20,000 exposures later I guess these are my only major 20D gripes. Thanks for letting me vent!
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    A possible solution to both problems: EP-EX15

I've found it to be well worth the small price. I did perfrom the minor surgery of removing the optics from it & found that improves things from the as-shipped configuration.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    Chris,

Great suggestion! thumb.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Cool!
    Looks good! I take it the diopter wheel is still exposed but your face will be further from it and the silly 2-position on-switch.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    The extension I like, the magnification loss I'm not sure about. The 20D viewfinder is already on the small size.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited January 12, 2007
    TristanP wrote:
    The extension I like, the magnification loss I'm not sure about. The 20D viewfinder is already on the small size.

That's why you remove the little plastic lens they have in it. It's about five minutes--if that--with a small Phillips screwdriver.
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    That's why you remove the little plastic lens they have in it. It's about five minutes--if that--with a small Phillips screwdriver.
    Are you still seeing the whole viewfinder image if you do that? I would assume the loss of magnification is so the entire image can be projected out - kinda like crop vs full frame sensors and how much of the lens they use.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    it might depend on..
    it may depend on how much diopter correction you need in the first place.

if,like me, its a fair bit,then if you add the eyepiece extender without the glass your eye is going to be further from the viewfinder and therefore require more eye diopter correction than can be provided by the wheel after the eye has been distanced from the viewfinder.

maybe a bit of tape would secure your diopter wheel and preserve the size of your viewfinder image and maintain adjustment.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited January 15, 2007
    TristanP wrote:
    Are you still seeing the whole viewfinder image if you do that? I would assume the loss of magnification is so the entire image can be projected out - kinda like crop vs full frame sensors and how much of the lens they use.

Yep. It's easier to shift your eye & obscure part of the finder; I have found that I've adapted & just automatically center my eye more accurately. On the whole, for me it's been much more help than hindrance.