Oil Drops on Canon 5D Sensor?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited January 11, 2007 in Cameras
Last time I used a Visible Dust brush on my 5D sensor, I smeared oil across it.

At the time, I blamed my own ineptitude. I assumed it happened because I'd touched other areas of the chamber with the brush, picking-up oil from the exposed mechanism.

However, I ran across this post today. Anyone else run into the problem?

I am not one to post negative stuff but I want to know if any other 5D owners have encountered this problem....

We are headed to Egypt on Friday so I wanted to make sure the 5D I bought as a lighterweight travel body was up to snuff. I checked the sensor and there were three or four specks on it. I dug out VisibleDust's Arctic Butterfly and gave it a quick brush.

On rechecking the sensor I now have an end to end oily smear across the sensor...this is a really ugly mess. The heart is now going pitter pat as I don't have any liquid sensor cleaner in the house. Now what?

I called VisibleDust in Edmonton and talked to Christine, a technician at their headquarters.

Christine tells me that the Canon 5D is known to have an issue with extra machine oils getting into the sensor box. What I thought were dust specks were actually oil droplets. By rubbing them with the brush I spread oil across the sensor.

The solution was to buy a wet-wipe kit and clean the sensor with solution. Took a great many passes. I think that's more due to my learning curve with the wet-wipes than the problem itself. Now the sensor is clean again.
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Oy.

Not only the hassle of having to clean off the oil, but now that brush is all oily, and that thing ain't cheap. You going to clean it, or toss it?

The only upside here is you've got the wet thing down. That's a good thing to know and have in your arsenal no matter what, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    Just never use an aperture smaller than f 4 waxymwink.gifrofl

I am sure some of the grunge we see on our sensors from time to time comes from the mechanical moving parts of our cameras, and that certainly includes any lubricant used for the shutters and mirror assemblies.

I have not really seen any difference between the 5D and my other cameras myself. But then I tend to shoot with large apertures and do not look for grunge until I begin to be bugged by it when editing images. If I stop down to f16 I am sure it is there.

But unless it bothers me I try to ignore it. When I know I am going to be shooting landscapes, I clean more often.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I am sure some of the grunge we see on our sensors from time to time comes from the mechanical moving parts of our cameras, and that certainly includes any lubricant used for the shutters and mirror assemblies.
    How much lubricant do you think there is in there? I'm guessing little if any. While they're not using jewels (like watches) I bet most of the materials have been selected and designed to not require lubrication. Just a thought, do you know?

Glad things cleaned up, Waxy! (I didn't even know you had a 5D till now lol3.gif)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    Does Canon bulid their shutters themselves?? Or do they purchase them from a vendor?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Does Canon bulid their shutters themselves?? Or do they purchase them from a vendor?

Yes.

(phew, one I could answer!) :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    never heard of oily 5ds...

can't you just use eclipse solution and one of those lint free wipes? eclipse is simply methanol...
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html

This article pretty much convinced me that those sensor brushes are a scam. I've never cleaned my sensor, save for using a bulb blower on it, but if I were to buy a brush for it I'd visit an art store first.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Oy.

Not only the hassle of having to clean off the oil, but now that brush is all oily, and that thing ain't cheap. You going to clean it, or toss it?

The only upside here is you've got the wet thing down. That's a good thing to know and have in your arsenal no matter what, IMO.
    Clean it, they say it can take soapy water, which I have plenty of.

Agreed re: learning the wet-wipe method.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited January 11, 2007
    JCDoss wrote:
    http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html

This article pretty much convinced me that those sensor brushes are a scam. I've never cleaned my sensor, save for using a bulb blower on it, but if I were to buy a brush for it I'd visit an art store first.

I'm quite sure the price is over-the-top.

All I can say is that usually, the brush works fine. I've used them for a while now, and been happy with the results.

Having done both methods, I'd say the brush is easier. And the wet-wipe method is more like a thorough spring cleaning.
    Sid.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    Sid,

I had a similar thing happen. I used my sensor brush which I'd gotten from the Copperhill (a good deal at under $20, btw.) It was my first use after cleaning it and having stored it away for some months. It left a big smear on my 20D's sensor. I don't know if it picked up camera lubricant, or maybe there was some residual soap or what. As in your experience, it took about 4 or 5 sensor swabs to get the smear off.

It's kind of soured me on the brush now. If I can't develop a methodology whereby I can clean the brush and use it, then blowing and swabbing might end up being the better way for me to go.

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited January 11, 2007
    I can understand that. I like the ease-of-use of the Arctic Butterfly, so unless this suddenly becomes a chronic problem, I expect it will continue to be my first choice.
    Sid.