Options

My first Google booking...I'm shocked.

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited November 11, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Ok, after reading all these confounding keyword discussions I decided to poke around Google and look at their ad options. I signed up for AdWords and put a low $30 a month limit on it.

That was 24 hours ago. Just got off the phone with a young man who hired me to shoot he and his girlfriend next Thursday. WHOA!!!

:huh
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    hot damn, technology at work for you! good on you:D

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    That's awesome! Made back that $30 and then some!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    That's awesome! Made back that $30 and then some!!! thumb.gif

yeah hope its not beginners luck!!!! ne_nau.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    Michael RayMichael Ray Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    yeah hope its not beginners luck!!!! ne_nau.gif

No, not at all...

It's called marketing!

I spend 150.00 a month. It pays.

MR
    Michael Ray

Food Photography How-to site
    http://www.foodportfolio.com/blog

Self-Proclaimed Photography SEO Guru
    http://www.foodportfolio.com/seo

Commercial Photography How-to site
    http://www.professionalphotography101.com
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    I took marketing in high school, glad I did!! Marketing is vital!! And a website if you can design one. I design them for clients as well, and you would be amazed at how much more business flows in after they have a website. I have to try that Google thing though!! See what happens.
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Very interesting!
    urbanaries wrote:
    Ok, after reading all these confounding keyword discussions I decided to poke around Google and look at their ad options. I signed up for AdWords and put a low $30 a month limit on it.

That was 24 hours ago. Just got off the phone with a young man who hired me to shoot he and his girlfriend next Thursday. WHOA!!!

eek7.gif

I'm gonna try it! Even if my $30 last only a month and bring me no business at all - oh well, it's a small price to learn. deal.gif
    Thank you for sharing! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm gonna try it! Even if my $30 last only a month and bring me no business at all - oh well, it's a small price to learn. deal.gif
    Thank you for sharing! thumb.gif
    Sure! Good luck to you! I'm probably raising my monthly budget soon....just booked a wedding meeting, they sounded ready to book. That's two gigs in five days my ad has been running. It may be a key component in transitioning out of weekend warrior status!!! ????
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    That's great... I jumped on board as soon as I seen your thread. It's been over 24hrs for me but I can say that people are seeing the ad. I had a click through as well. What worked for you on keywords? Are you willing to share that? Great Job!!!! thumb.gif
    urbanaries wrote:
    Sure! Good luck to you! I'm probably raising my monthly budget soon....just booked a wedding meeting, they sounded ready to book. That's two gigs in five days my ad has been running. It may be a key component in transitioning out of weekend warrior status!!! ????
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    That's great... I jumped on board as soon as I seen your thread. It's been over 24hrs for me but I can say that people are seeing the ad. I had a click through as well. What worked for you on keywords? Are you willing to share that? Great Job!!!! thumb.gif

I hope no competitors see this!!!

no rocket science, just did all my services, and attached to both photographer and photography.

example: maternity photographer, maternity photography, pregnancy photography, etc etc
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Lynne

Let me make a suggestion to you...

Try adding Indianapolis to your keyword phrases. (unless you're trying to sell stock) That way people typing in "Pittsburgh maternity photographer" won’t click on your site. That will help your budget go a lot further. Also, I would not list those words separately as keywords. Some people make that mistake when they first start out.

Good luck
    Michael Ray

• Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Lynne

Let me make a suggestion to you...

Try adding Indianapolis to your keyword phrases. (unless you're trying to sell stock) That way people typing in "Pittsburgh maternity photographer" won’t click on your site. That will help your budget go a lot further. Also, I would not list those words separately as keywords. Some people make that mistake when they first start out.

Good luck

actually, my top hitting keyword phrases are "indianapolis photographer" and "indianapolis photography." Beyond those specifically, I'm somewhat confused. In Google's adwords settings, I've chosen my ads to show only the indianapolis area. So, am I advised to still put indianapolis in the keyword combinations, or is that redundant? Example, someone IN the indianapolis area that types in maternity photographer, theoretically would my ad appear? Conversely, if I add "Indianapolis" to "maternity photographer", would I be missing locals who didn't add Indianapolis to their search phrase?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    I wasn’t aware that you put that limit on your exposure. I’m not that familiar with your specific market, but in mine (as a commercial photographer in Pittsburgh) I get a ton of work from outside the city. It’s usually people located outside the city looking for a photographer to shoot someone in Pittsburgh. That way they save on air fare, not sending their regular shooter.

Something to think about.

Another thing you might want to do is investigate the "-term" option. The option that prevents your name from coming up when your search phrase is listed with another word that you don't want to be listed with. For example, you might not want your ad to appear if someone enters "industrial indianapolis photographer".
    Michael Ray

• Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Results Thus Far
    Two days of the ad running. About 250 impressions, zero clicks. ne_nau.gif
    I should've had it done before Xmas :bash
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Two days of the ad running. About 250 impressions, zero clicks. ne_nau.gif
    I should've had it done before Xmas :bash

What are you complaining about. It didn't cost you anything so far.

What are your search terms?
    What kind of photography do you do?
    Where do you live?
    Michael Ray

• Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Also, I would not list those words separately as keywords. Some people make that mistake when they first start out.
    Hello Michael, I've read this several times and am not sure what you're getting at. Can you give me an example?? Thanks!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    Michael,
    What are you complaining about. It didn't cost you anything so far.

What are your search terms?
    What kind of photography do you do?
    Where do you live?

You probably misread my post. I'm not complaining, I'm simply reporting a progress.

And you're making a mistake saying it didn't cost me anything. I have spent several hours reading the guides (and adjusting the ad accordingly:-). For the record, my time is rather expensive.
    I'm not even talking about $5 setup fee:-) deal.gif:Drolleyes1.gif

Frankly, I didnt expect any breakthrough results immediately. Initial post brought this thing to my attention, but it would be naive to expect that everyone who posted an ad would immediately become buried with service requests. I'm going to monitor the results and see what are the potential reasons of success/failure.

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    Got my first "clickthrough" :-)
    And, what do you know - smugmug was down the whole day... :-(ne_nau.gif
    I guess that person will not be requesting my service any time soon. mwink.gif
    Oh well, there will be others, I'm sure. deal.gif
    But my first $.59 went straight to the silicon garbage can... rolleyes1.gif
    So I've decided to pause my ad until SM is back up...
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    When was SM down? I don't think I've been down at all. That I know of headscratch.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    And, what do you know - smugmug was down the whole day... :-(ne_nau.gif
    I guess that person will not be requesting my service any time soon. mwink.gif
    Oh well, there will be others, I'm sure. deal.gif
    But my first $.59 went straight to the silicon garbage can... rolleyes1.gif
    So I've decided to pause my ad until SM is back up...
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    Hello Michael, I've read this several times and am not sure what you're getting at. Can you give me an example?? Thanks!

I'm suggesting that you don;t list the words "photography", "photographer", od "maternity" as individual words without being part of a phrase.
    Michael Ray

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:

Hi, Lynne! I have a bunch of information for you about adwords, but it needs to come from my husband. He used to work for a company that did adwords (bought and sold for other companies) and he understands them VERY well....

My feeble knowledge says that you should add as many as you can. I think I have about 40-50. Don't forget, you only pay when someone clicks so having more than you think you'll need is a good thing! They include things like:

crested butte photography
    crested butte photograper
    crested butte photograph
    crested butte photo
    crested butte portrait photography
    crested butte ski
    crested butte wedding
    crested butte vacation
    tippiepics
    andi tippie

I also have them turned on for EVERYWHERE. I live in a resort area so it's more likely that people from out of town will want to search for here.

I have also been told by my DH (darling hubby) that you shouldn't pay too much. Certainly no more than $1 per click, but generally around 50¢. If you go too high, there is a possiblity that you're not getting your money's worth.

I haven't gotten too many clicks, but I'm not too worried. I'm in a small town and probably won't ever. I think I also need to tweak things.

I'll see if my hubby ahs more to add! I hear the kids freaking. :) Gotta run!

HTH!
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    thanks photogmomma! I think I got it down now. I had four inquiries about weddings this weekend. Its really exciting! Unfortunately two of them were on dates I'm already booked...how is that? I've only got seven booked this year. Ah well....a good problem to have I suppose. :)

I'm getting lots of click throughs on pregnancy photography, but no emails or phone calls. Maybe I need to work on my portfolio? I was pretty satisfied with that set, but maybe I need some objective feedback. Takers?

http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/1972972
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2007
    Lynne,

You have a lovely group of maternity shots there! One thing I noticed about the site was that the arrows at the end of the nav bar scrolled in the opposite direction than I expected them to. Maybe I'm just backwards, but when I mouse-over the right pointing arrow, I expect to be able to see the pictures that are hidden on the right. Does that make sense?

The pictures are beautiful!

Elaine

PS - Here's an example of what I mean...
    http://primedigitalphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2006457
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    UPDATE: FAQ #85 fixes this, FYI

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback! I do know what you mean, , but I thought it was the smugmug way and I was the one who was crazy. Now I see someone else has it right? The "Filmstrip" is the style I'm using in those galleries...if there's some code I can put in to make it direct correctly, I'm all ears!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    thanks photogmomma! I think I got it down now. I had four inquiries about weddings this weekend. Its really exciting! Unfortunately two of them were on dates I'm already booked...how is that? I've only got seven booked this year. Ah well....a good problem to have I suppose. :)

I'm getting lots of click throughs on pregnancy photography, but no emails or phone calls. Maybe I need to work on my portfolio? I was pretty satisfied with that set, but maybe I need some objective feedback. Takers?

http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/1972972

Yeah, the way it scrolls drives me crazy - that's why I don't use it! No hints on how to fix it, though. Sorry!

I think you have some gorgeous photos in there. My only comment is that very few of them show faces or more than just bellies. I think you need a little more variety. I'd probably pick 3-5 belly only shots and mix them up more with the full body/upper body/hubby shots. They are all very well done, but I think showing variety is a good thing! And mixing 'em up can make it more interesting. Make sense?

For some reason, I'm not very fond of #12. It looks to me like she's in labor, not laughing! Laughing.gif! I think maybe because of how she's bent over? I don't know if it's possible - or worth it - to try rotating her a bit more to the left and PSing out the door frame? It's almost a cute shot, but not quite. But then again, it might be me.

#1, 2, 6 and 19 are awesome! (19 is a little soft, but I still just LOVE the look you captured!)

Gorgeous shots overall!
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    Yeah, the way it scrolls drives me crazy - that's why I don't use it! No hints on how to fix it, though. Sorry!

I think you have some gorgeous photos in there. My only comment is that very few of them show faces or more than just bellies. I think you need a little more variety. I'd probably pick 3-5 belly only shots and mix them up more with the full body/upper body/hubby shots. They are all very well done, but I think showing variety is a good thing! And mixing 'em up can make it more interesting. Make sense?

For some reason, I'm not very fond of #12. It looks to me like she's in labor, not laughing! Laughing.gif! I think maybe because of how she's bent over? I don't know if it's possible - or worth it - to try rotating her a bit more to the left and PSing out the door frame? It's almost a cute shot, but not quite. But then again, it might be me.

#1, 2, 6 and 19 are awesome! (19 is a little soft, but I still just LOVE the look you captured!)

Gorgeous shots overall!

great feedback Andi...I had never evaulated belly vs. face shots before, and your perspective is very helpful! Also in #12, I love it because she's laughing but you're right that the angle isn't helping. I'll take a 2nd look!

BTW - here's the code to change the filmstrip http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=236809#post236809
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    great feedback Andi...I had never evaulated belly vs. face shots before, and your perspective is very helpful! Also in #12, I love it because she's laughing but you're right that the angle isn't helping. I'll take a 2nd look!

BTW - here's the code to change the filmstrip http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=236809#post236809

Thanks a ton! Maybe I'll try using it now!!

I get on another message board for moms and it KILLS me how many people take headless shots. Of course, theirs are cut off at the neck, which drives me crazy. I like belly only shots a lot, but think a good variety is really nice!

BTW - I truly think you're under selling yourself with your prices. You have amazing work, Lynne, and I really think you could charge more - easily! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2007
    UPDATE:

To date, I've received seven emails/phone calls from prospective wedding clients via Google. Two were for dates I was already booked for. One signed a contract and put a deposit down last Saturday, at our first meeting. I have a meeting scheduled this Friday, and that bride has already referred me to her pregnant friend, who I'm designing a "first year" package for.

I'd say I made my $30 back. My first month isn't even up yet...six days left!

This success has put the pressure on me to finally raise/standardize my prices! Every day someone contacts me with my old (CHEAP!) prices, I'm locked in to one more booking making very little profit.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Congratulations! When my wife and I decide to really "open up shop" we'll be using this for advertising. These testimonials are very encouraging!
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    I just got my first booking off of yahoo from generic search results. Maybe I should try this advertising stuff too...
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    The company I work for specializes in optimizing websites to show up in the search engines. I average about 5 leads a month for my very small target market (and I am only using some of the techniques I have picked up from the experts in our company, I am in sales not development). This Internet marketing stuff works for our clients and on a smaller scale, it works well for my part time photography business too!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos