Comet McNaught from United 721

ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited January 12, 2007 in Holy Macro
So, coming back from an astronomy conference of all things...having a plane half full of astronomy-related professionals and physics teachers...

We saw a brilliant Comet McNaught in the sunset skies! Using my little Canon A95 I always have with me, I snapped about 50 images, hoping to catch something without vibrations or blur from my hand/turbulence/the-chic-kicking-the-back-of-my-chair.

Got a few, here's one that came out decent. Very short exposure so it's grainy, but you can clearly see the comet.

Enjoy! It's getting lost in the Sun right now, but it'll go right through SOHO's field of view. More here: you can try and catch it early morning on the 12th or just around sunset on the 12th.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/070104_comet_mcnaught.html

122609378-O.jpg

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 11, 2007
    clap.gif You knew carrying that pocket cam would pay off one day!

Fantastic catch, colors make it all the better, really nice!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    thanks!
    DoctorIt wrote:
    clap.gif You knew carrying that pocket cam would pay off one day!

Fantastic catch, colors make it all the better, really nice!

Thanks! I just wish that darn airplane could have stayed still for a longer exposure mwink.gif

I'm working on a sequence of it moving down into the horizon (well, the earth rotating, not the comet physically moving that quickly). Will post.

Adrienne
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Wow that is nice! Great place to view it from, I'm jealous :D
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Fantastic!
    I'm very happy it turned out so good! I'm disappointed in mine, but you know you can only get what you can get sometimes.

I love the sunset colors. Maybe I can try again tomorrow...
  • mbzmbz Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2007
    Great picture!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Wow congratulations clap.gif right place right time, lucky you had your camera onboard with you clap.gif great thread ...... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    What a great grab! Nice job. clap.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Ok...I'm thinking...headscratch.gif ...that maybe...eek7.gif ...I just need to go and buy a small digital camera 9496500-Ti.gif to put in my purse...:D

Great catch.thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    eek7.gif superb !!! littel cameras are really halpful. Now i regret to give my littel sony to my bro who is in Kuwait for 1 year .
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    thanks!
    thanks all!

and yes...my A95 stays in my purse all the time. It's an amazing little camera --- full manual control if you want it or use the usual pre-programmed settings. Love it! still wish I had my DSLR though, with my 50mm 1.8 lens :( Maybe would have turned out slightly better and richer.

Adrienne
  • BPCooperBPCooper Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Nice capture, especially given the circumstances! I didn't even get to see the comet, trying every night for the last week. It's been cloudy every evening here.

Comets are the thing I "can't wait to get", especailly since Hale-Bopp, and now that one snuck up on us it was a big downer here in Central Florida :-(