Question about RAW

CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited January 12, 2007 in Finishing School
I downloaded the plug in from adobe for RAW on my 400D. However, my photoshop cs v8 won't accept RAW images for some reason. It pops up a window that says it isn't a recognizable format. I saw something in the help about *bridge*. What is that? Do I have to use some other software to view and work on RAW images in my photoshop? What am I missing? I keep reading about how wonderful RAW is, but have yet to experience it. In case you are wondering....I downloaded the correct plug in and put it in the right place.
I use only Canon cameras and glass
www.portraitwhisperer.com

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    CS or CS2?
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    I downloaded the plug in from adobe for RAW on my 400D. However, my photoshop cs v8 won't accept RAW images for some reason. It pops up a window that says it isn't a recognizable format. I saw something in the help about *bridge*. What is that? Do I have to use some other software to view and work on RAW images in my photoshop? What am I missing? I keep reading about how wonderful RAW is, but have yet to experience it. In case you are wondering....I downloaded the correct plug in and put it in the right place.

The newest version of Adobe Camera RAW (which is required to support the newest generation cameras) will only work with Photoshop CS2. Do you have CS or CS2?

For older versions of CS, it is possible to use the downloadable DNG converter and convert your RAW files to DNG which CS can then open. Or, of course, you can upgrade to CS2. Or you can download the Beta of Adobe Lightroom (which does work with the newest releases of Camera RAW) and use that in the interim.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    You can't use CS to read the 400D files directly. The last version of ACR for CS was 2.4, and the 400D shows as being supported in v3.6 (CS2 only). So, as suggested, mess with the DNG converter, or you can use Canon's DPP included with the camera or a third party converter.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Thank you both for your responses. I'll try to finger this out somehow. My version of photoshop is CS. I suspect that this summer I'll upgrade to CS3, but until then I'd like to figger out a way to use RAW.
    I use only Canon cameras and glass
    www.portraitwhisperer.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    DNG download here
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    Thank you both for your responses. I'll try to finger this out somehow. No idea where I can get this DNG. My version of photoshop is CS. I suspect that this summer I'll upgrade to CS3, but until then I'd like to figger out a way to use RAW.

Go here to find the DNG download: http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question