I got the keyword thing down, now on to photo captions.

Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
edited January 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Just wanting to know what the best way to input my photo captions is. I use the bulk tool.
Do I seperate each word with commas?
Do I put each word in ""?
Or do I just string a bunch of words together?
What is the best way for search engines to pick up on these?

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 12, 2007
    Just wanting to know what the best way to input my photo captions is. I use the bulk tool.
    Do I seperate each word with commas?
    Do I put each word in ""?
    Or do I just string a bunch of words together?
    What is the best way for search engines to pick up on these?
    Hi Ryan,

Seems maybe you are describing keywords here. Those are typically separated by a space, and two or more words you wish to keep together should be surrounded by quotes. Captions typically describe the photo. For captions, use the edit captions/keywords bulk tool and just type your captions for each photo in. Unless I'm misunderstanding, a caption for a photo is typically something like, "Big blue bird on sandy beach." Of course, yours would most likely be different unless you have a photo of a big blue bird on a sandy beach :)

Keywords: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
    Captions: http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-album
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    Hi Ryan,

Seems maybe you are describing keywords here. Those are typically separated by a space, and two or more words you wish to keep together should be surrounded by quotes. Captions typically describe the photo. For captions, use the edit captions/keywords bulk tool and just type your captions for each photo in. Unless I'm misunderstanding, a caption for a photo is typically something like, "Big blue bird on sandy beach." Of course, yours would most likely be different unless you have a photo of a big blue bird on a sandy beach :)

Keywords: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
    Captions: http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-album

What I was thinking was that if I captioned my photos as if I were keywording them, this would make them show up in search engines more often. Is this wrong? I added code to my page so as not to show the keywords or captions. This way I could add many words each in quotes that people would search for to find my pics.
    edited January 12, 2007
    What I was thinking was that if I captioned my photos as if I were keywording them, this would make them show up in search engines more often. Is this wrong? I added code to my page so as not to show the keywords or captions. This way I could add many words each in quotes that people would search for to find my pics.

Captions - > good; keywords - > better! The more the merrier. Here's a great thread on tips to being found:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=45537
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
    edited January 12, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    Captions - > good; keywords - > better! The more the merrier. Here's a great thread on tips to being found:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=45537

Yeah, I read that thread. It is why I am wondering about how to format my captions. I have read about many different ways to input captions.
    Here are some choices I have seen:

1.) kentucky ky derby infield churchill downs
    2.) "kentucky""ky""derby""infield""churchill""downs"
    3.) kentucky_ky_derby_infield_churchill_downs
    4.) "kentucky ky derby infield churchill downs"

C O N F U S E D! Is one way better than another?
    edited January 12, 2007
    Yeah, I read that thread. It is why I am wondering about how to format my captions. I have read about many different ways to input captions.
    Here are some choices I have seen:

1.) kentucky ky derby infield churchill downs
    2.) "kentucky""ky""derby""infield""churchill""downs"
    3.) kentucky_ky_derby_infield_churchill_downs
    4.) "kentucky ky derby infield churchill downs"

C O N F U S E D! Is one way better than another?

Hmmm, I believe you would input them the same way you input your keywords. Separate words separated by a space, and if you want two or more words together, surround them with quotes. I'll double check on this for you.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
    edited January 12, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    Hmmm, I believe you would input them the same way you input your keywords. Separate words separated by a space, and if you want two or more words together, surround them with quotes. I'll double check on this for you.

Thanks, right now I have my captions placed like the following: "kentucky""derby""infield" and my keyword "kentucky derby infield".
    edited January 14, 2007
    Thanks, right now I have my captions placed like the following: "kentucky""derby""infield" and my keyword "kentucky derby infield".

Still confused about the caption methods.
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    As far as Google is concerned, both the caption and the keywords appear under the photo. This means that Google should process the two of them equivalently.

As far as a random user (ie me) is concerned, I really hate sites which are obviously search-engine optimised by having lots of keywords in the caption, and would never buy any photos from them. I would suggest having a paragraph describing the photo, that contains all of the keywords, but in plain (ie readable) English. It doesn't matter if all of the photos in a gallery have the same caption: the average user won't spot this. The average user will on the other hand be impressed that you have gone to the effort of writing descriptive captions, and may therefore by more likely to purchase photos.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Still confused about the caption methods.
    Hi Ryan,

You can just add the keywords using blanks as separator.

So for instance:

Ryan Armbrust good looking photos

Will give you 5 keywords. If you want to 'cling' two or more together, use quotation marks, as such:

"Ryan Armbrust" good looking photos

This will give you 4 keywords. See also http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

Hope this helps.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    As far as a random user (ie me) is concerned, I really hate sites which are obviously search-engine optimised by having lots of keywords in the caption, and would never buy any photos from them. I would suggest having a paragraph describing the photo, that contains all of the keywords, but in plain (ie readable) English. It doesn't matter if all of the photos in a gallery have the same caption: the average user won't spot this. The average user will on the other hand be impressed that you have gone to the effort of writing descriptive captions, and may therefore by more likely to purchase photos.
    Keywords and captions are two totally different things at SmugMug. You can write your caption (readable english) below the image, but that has nothing to do with the keywords. Keywords are placed in the 'keywords' field. Don't leave out the keyword as it helps getting you found in search engines, but also allows you to use our cool keyword stuff and searches.
  • PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    I agree entirely, which is why I was responding to the original poster's comment that
    What I was thinking was that if I captioned my photos as if I were keywording them, this would make them show up in search engines more often