Options

what mac mini monitor do u run?

jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited January 15, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
getting ready to get a mac mini and what monitor is best im looking at a 21 inch samsung widescreen but it says that its mac compatable but it wont support 1920 by 1200 resolution although it says it does.i need a proven working monitor that will support this resolution on the mini.:dunno
jm photography

Comments

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    jay wrote:
    getting ready to get a mac mini and what monitor is best im looking at a 21 inch samsung widescreen but it says that its mac compatable but it wont support 1920 by 1200 resolution although it says it does.i need a proven working monitor that will support this resolution on the mini.ne_nau.gif
    Hi Jay, I'm not one of the apple gurus but I wonder if the price of a mini + a new monitor would be more than an iMac? perhaps you could compare prices?
    hth,

Séamus.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    well im getting rid of all my pcs and i want a mini now and i am going to buy a imac as soon as leopard is released. but your right its more cost effecient to get the imac
    jm photography
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    jay wrote:
    well im getting rid of all my pcs and i want a mini now and i am going to buy a imac as soon as leopard is released. but your right its more cost effecient to get the imac
    why not keep one of your pc monitors for now untill you get an imac? or just hold off with the mac in general till you get an imac? They are not going anywhere...
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    why not keep one of your pc monitors for now untill you get an imac? or just hold off with the mac in general till you get an imac? They are not going anywhere...
    gota have one asap i found out dells will support and work on the higher resolution but i dont like dell lcds, a hp is out of the question hate them too.thumb.gif i might check on a lg brand if it will hold the resolution it says it will on a mac
    jm photography
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    To get 1920x1200 on a samsung, you'll need to step up to 24". The 244T in either Silver or Black should both work wonderfully with a mac mini.

p.s. Welcome to dgrin, and congrats on the migration... be sure to take a spin through the unsolicited advice thread.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    What does the release of Leopard have to do with you getting an iMac? If it's cost, then obviously getting a Mini and then an iMac is not cheaper.

You need multiple computers? What? The 24" iMac is su-weet. And when Leopard comes out, just buy it. No biggee.

Or is there something we don't know?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    To get 1920x1200 on a samsung, you'll need to step up to 24". The 244T in either Silver or Black should both work wonderfully with a mac mini.

p.s. Welcome to dgrin, and congrats on the migration... be sure to take a spin through the unsolicited advice thread.
    thanks but the one i was looking at the SAMSUNG 204BW Black 20" 6ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor was supposed to support this and it does just not for the mac(their mac support sucks ive been told) and i bet the 24 incher still wont get that resolution.theres no need for me to pay a extra 100 and some odd dollars for leopard when itll be released in 6 months or less and i have a completely up to imac for then anyway rolleyes1.gif
    jm photography
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    jay wrote:
    thanks but the one i was looking at the SAMSUNG 204BW Black 20" 6ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor was supposed to support this and it does

I usually hate to do this... :bs

The specs are quite clear, the 204BW does 1680 x 1050. Max. deal.gif
    just not for the mac(their mac support sucks ive been told)

:nah Pfft. Samsungs work just fine on Macs, I personally use 2 of them on my macs here at the house, and between my various co-workers there are at least a dozen different samsungs hooked to four or five different types of Macs.
    and i bet the 24 incher still wont get that resolution.

Having seen 4 of them connected to macs (not minis however) I very highly doubt it would not do the 1920x1080 it's specifications call for, as long as your graphics card is capable of it, and you have the right cable.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    all the crappy lcd will get is 1024 x 768.i was reading some reviews of this particular monitor. i noticed on the circuit city website reviews of this monitor there were two reviews that said that the dvi is not operational for macs on this monitor because the software is strictly for pcs.it probably would work on any other macs just not a mini
    jm photography
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2007
    and im not knocking any samsung they just or this one in particular doesnt do as advertised with a mini
    jm photography