High School Wrestling Duo - 10 Jan 2007

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited July 18, 2007 in Sports
I will shortly have an opportunity to shoot some low light action shots and thought I would practice at a local high school wrestling duo ('cause I understand this sport and don't many others). The practice was to get used to my new lens (EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS) and to test out high ISO - these were shot at either 800 or 1000, depending.

Anyway, I was simply amazed by the quality of the coaching I saw out there. It was just ... well, amazing!

Here is a small sampling of the many shots I thought were worth exposing to the light of day.

1. Stacked up
122880098-M.jpg

2. Does that hurt?
122880371-M.jpg

3. Driving into him
122880734-M.jpg

4. Shall we dance?
122880890-M.jpg

5. You're not stickin' me!
122880922-M.jpg

6. They held this position so long the ref declared a stalemate and re-set them. You know that's gotta hurt!
122881346-M.jpg

7. Now, that's a take-down! These two were a couple of the fasted moving athletes on the mat that night.
122882285-M.jpg

8. Watching for the shoulder-blades to make contact with the mat.
122883398-M.jpg

9. Believe it or not, they held position for quite a long time, but the bottom guy was able to keep his shoulders off the mat enough to avoid the slap on the mat. Later, he did eventually loose the match but the winner sure did have to fight for it.
122883620-M.jpg

If you didn't get your fill from looking at these, the rest of them can be found here.

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    I don't know much about wrestling except that it looks very painful!!! Boy, I feel for the guy in #6 if he held that position for a long time! The pics look great, it looks like kind of a tough sport to capture. How do you like the new lens? It's the one lens I keep thinking I need.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    hey Scott, you got some nice action therethumb.gif Over all, I'd say you did real good for a "practice" session w/ HS lighting and high ISO. Nice job.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I don't know much about wrestling except that it looks very painful!!! Boy, I feel for the guy in #6 if he held that position for a long time! The pics look great, it looks like kind of a tough sport to capture. How do you like the new lens? It's the one lens I keep thinking I need.... rolleyes1.gif
    The lens is absolutly wonderful! I'm glad I figured out a way to convince my wife that getting it was the right thing to do (I just went into photographic business and wrote it off as a business expense and now I'm working two full time jobs). But, if you need that focal range, the 2.8 is the only way to go. At the shutter speeds I was working (1/60 to 1/200), I still was able to make use of the IS - it's great!.
    edited January 14, 2007
    Frog Lady wrote:
    hey Scott, you got some nice action therethumb.gif Over all, I'd say you did real good for a "practice" session w/ HS lighting and high ISO. Nice job.

C.
    Thanks for looking and writing the the kind words - I appreciate it.
  • Rene`Rene` Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Great shots!
    Thanks for looking and writing the the kind words - I appreciate it.

You got some great shots!!

Rene`
    edited January 14, 2007
    Rene` wrote:
    You got some great shots!!

Rene`
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm kinda happy with them. There were so many that I had real trouble limiting the list. The first cut at the post had something like 15 images linked in. That's too many so I cut it down to 9 and I still forgot to mention that in the thread title.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 15, 2007
    You've got the action part down. But these look a tad OE.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Wow this looks like it hurts...!eek7.gif Good shots tho.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 16, 2007
    Hey scott,
    great stuff.. i love the sport of wrestling. i really like shooting it . trying to get good shots without the dang ref. getting in the way is my toughest challenge.. your look good . .
    curtis
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    You did a great job, especially in a difficutl lighting situation! thumb.gif
    edited January 16, 2007
    Thanks all. The OE is a direct result of trying one of David Jay's techniques for "quick" processing of RAW files. I'll have to find another way to do this. Either I goofed something in the translation or ACR is not up to the task of determining a decent exposure.
  • willaibachwillaibach Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I'm coveting your lens. I've been looking at one myself, but can't afford it right now. I do a lot of wrestling pics (2 of my boys are wrestlers) and really need a better lens for the low light/high action. I have trouble with the high ISOs coming out a little grainy. Any suggestions?
    But He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Cor 12:9

www.steveandwilla.com