Options

Idiots question - creating a watermark

MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited January 15, 2007 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Maybe I am missing the basics of creating a watermark - but when I make one with a transparant background and then save it to jpeg - the background turns white and renders the watermark useless - Am I missing something here,but how do I create a watermark and keep the background transparant and be ablw to upload it to SM? I am using Paintshop Pro to try and create one.

Michael

Comments

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 13, 2007
    Maybe I am missing the basics of creating a watermark - but when I make one with a transparant background and then save it to jpeg - the background turns white and renders the watermark useless - Am I missing something here,but how do I create a watermark and keep the background transparant and be ablw to upload it to SM? I am using Paintshop Pro to try and create one.

Michael
    Hi,

In order for your watermark to be transparent, you will want to save it as a .png file. If you haven't seen it already, we have a tutorial for making a custom watermark:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1690196

See if that will help :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    FuzzytekFuzzytek Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    PNG format is the trick ... how to upload

Michael
    I'm also using Paintshop Pro. Start off with a transparent background for your image. Then paste your layers you wish visible on top this. Use the Save As... option to store it as a PNG file, preserving the transparency. JPG format knows NOTHING of transparency and will always convert to the default background color of your palette (usually white).

You'll notice that not many of the upload tools accept PNG format... you'll want to use the manual upload tool for SmugMug. Since it is just one file batching these up isn't a big deal. You can upload up to 5 images through the manual upload interface.

Glad to see you trying this out. I'm sure you'll find it WONDERFUL!
    Stephen Boyle - Fuzzytek Photography, LLC
    Capturing and creating fashion, film, festivals around Detroit
    Wordpress-ed Fuzzytek
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    Fuzzytek wrote:
    I'm also using Paintshop Pro. Start off with a transparent background for your image. Then paste your layers you wish visible on top this. Use the Save As... option to store it as a PNG file, preserving the transparency. JPG format knows NOTHING of transparency and will always convert to the default background color of your palette (usually white).

You'll notice that not many of the upload tools accept PNG format... you'll want to use the manual upload tool for SmugMug. Since it is just one file batching these up isn't a big deal. You can upload up to 5 images through the manual upload interface.

Glad to see you trying this out. I'm sure you'll find it WONDERFUL!
    The standard drag and drop uploader (smuggy) accepts PNG files as well. I use that all the time for png's. I'm not sure about the other ones.