Keyword Question

W ThorneW Thorne Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited April 22, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've been reading all the threads on keywords and I have one question before determing if I need to make any changes on my site.

I enter captions and keywords as IPTC data in my photo editing program not directly in my galleries. This includes people and team names. From everything I've read I should put " " marks around the first and last name so it is read as one.

Is this still correct even though I enter the information as IPTC data?

Thanks.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    W Thorne wrote:
    I've been reading all the threads on keywords and I have one question before determing if I need to make any changes on my site.

I enter captions and keywords as IPTC data in my photo editing program not directly in my galleries. This includes people and team names. From everything I've read I should put " " marks around the first and last name so it is read as one.

Is this still correct even though I enter the information as IPTC data?

Thanks.

Yes. But not knowing what you are using on your end, why not just try it with a couple photos, and upload them :)

For example, in Bridge, I just separate my multi-word keywords with a comma and I'm good to go.
  • W ThorneW Thorne Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Thanks, that’s probably good advice. I do most of it in Capture NX and some in Photoshop. When you look at my kewords under each picture the hyperlink correctly includes both names if I've listed them that way.

What I was wondering is if I should go back and put " " around the names I already have listed. Will doing this help the google search engine find them?
    edited January 13, 2007
    W Thorne wrote:
    Thanks, that’s probably good advice. I do most of it in Capture NX and some in Photoshop. When you look at my kewords under each picture the hyperlink correctly includes both names if I've listed them that way.

What I was wondering is if I should go back and put " " around the names I already have listed. Will doing this help the google search engine find them?

Could we have some direct examples please? Thanks
    edited January 13, 2007
    This JPG shows my keywords for a picture. The players name, Reliant Stadium, Texas Bowl, Kansas State, and Scarlet Knights all have their own hyperlink. I have not included " " around each group. Example "Reliant Stadium"

Is " " needed around these groups to improve google finding them.

Thanks.
    edited January 13, 2007
    W Thorne wrote:
    This JPG shows my keywords for a picture. The players name, Reliant Stadium, Texas Bowl, Kansas State, and Scarlet Knights all have their own hyperlink. I have not included " " around each group. Example "Reliant Stadium"

Is " " needed around these groups to improve google finding them.

Thanks.
    we need the direct photo and gallery link please, thanks.
    edited January 13, 2007
    Here is the example from above but all pictures have keywords.

http://www.texassportsimage.com/gallery/2295999
    edited January 13, 2007
    it's all looking good thumb.gif
    Google will find them. More on maximizing findability, here: http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros
    edited January 13, 2007
    Thanks for checking them out.
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Wilf, if you're reading some old threads, adding quotes around multi-word keywords used to be required to get them to stick together as one search term. That is NO LONGER required as smugmug changed the way they build keywords quite a while ago.

The only time I use quotes now is if there is a number in the multi-word keyword, e.g., a player's jersey number. If I don't, smugmug strips the number off the keyword. Here's an example for my son,

"#1 Christopher Kane"; Christopher Kane; Christopher; Kane; "OVPB2006"

That will give me five distinct keywords hyperlinked in smugmug as follows:
    1 Christopher Kane
    Christopher Kane
    Christopher
    Kane
    OVPB2006
    edited January 14, 2007
    Thanks for the tip Pat, I was reading some old threads and wanted to make sure I was doing them right.
  • Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    W Thorne wrote:
    Thanks for the tip Pat, I was reading some old threads and wanted to make sure I was doing them right.

All of my captions and keywords have been inputed using "".
    Like this, "kentucky""derby""infield""churchill""downs".

Any problem with this?
    edited January 14, 2007
    All of my captions and keywords have been inputed using "".
    Like this, "kentucky""derby""infield""churchill""downs".

Any problem with this?

Maybe, maybe not. Where are you entering your keywords, i.e., in the image via Photoshop or other offline tool (highly recommended), or within the smugmug bulk keywords tool? How is smugmug decoding your keywords, e.g., is each word being created as its own hyperlink?

There will be differences of opinion on this, but if these were my images, I'd probably enter them into smugmug and/or Photoshop as follows (note the absence of quote marks):

kentucky derby;kentucky;derby;infield;churchill downs

That would give me two multi-word keywords and three single-word keywords:

kentucky derby
    kentucky
    derby
    infield
    churchill downs

The more ways to search, the better.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    Maybe, maybe not. Where are you entering your keywords, i.e., in the image via Photoshop or other offline tool (highly recommended), or within the smugmug bulk keywords tool? How is smugmug decoding your keywords, e.g., is each word being created as its own hyperlink?

There will be differences of opinion on this, but if these were my images, I'd probably enter them into smugmug and/or Photoshop as follows (note the absence of quote marks):

kentucky derby;kentucky;derby;infield;churchill downs

That would give me two multi-word keywords and three single-word keywords:

kentucky derby
    kentucky
    derby
    infield
    churchill downs

The more ways to search, the better.
    Hi Pat,

When entering this in photoshop or bridge, you can do it like this (or use commas) and it will transfer over to SmugMug just fine. If you are entering keywords in SmugMug you will need to use the quotation marks. See: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
    edited January 16, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    When entering this in photoshop or bridge, you can do it like this (or use commas) and it will transfer over to SmugMug just fine. If you are entering keywords in SmugMug you will need to use the quotation marks. See: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

The quotation marks are NOT required on smugmug either, at least not in the edit keyword box under each photo. This behaviour was changed last spring, see

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=318281&postcount=11

I don't recall how the bulk keyword tool behaves though and the site is down right now, so I can't test it.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    The quotation marks are NOT required on smugmug either, at least not in the edit keyword box under each photo. This behaviour was changed last spring, see

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=318281&postcount=11

I don't recall how the bulk keyword tool behaves though and the site is down right now, so I can't test it.
    Interesting, it doesn't work for me... Let me investigate this one. I'll get back on it.
    edited January 16, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Interesting, it doesn't work for me... Let me investigate this one. I'll get back on it.

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.1 if that makes a difference.

I just tried it again using the keywords from my post above and it works in both the bulk keyword box as well as in the keyword box under each photo.

In the bulk keyword box, you do have to do the little trick of removing quote marks after you've applied the string of keywords, otherwise it treats the whole string as one keyword.
  • LukeAdamsLukeAdams Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2007
    On a side note, it appears semi-colons are OK in the keyword field. That's how Adobe Bridge exports the data with the photo's IPTC data.... Just making sure my keywords aren't getting ignored.

So... is this correct?
    edited April 22, 2007
    LukeAdams wrote:
    On a side note, it appears semi-colons are OK in the keyword field. That's how Adobe Bridge exports the data with the photo's IPTC data.... Just making sure my keywords aren't getting ignored.

So... is this correct?
    nod.gif