4 for your perusal

CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited January 14, 2007 in People
These were done in a tiny living room using ambient lighting. She's a competitive vocalist and wanted some shots for the flyers and advertisements they'll put out for the competitions.
I use only Canon cameras and glass
www.portraitwhisperer.com

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    She is very beautiful.
    What type of competitions....School (university) comps?? If so these are good and I am betting that since they are soft it is a filter and not OOF soft...however the University I used to work for would only allow pictures that made the vocalist or other muscians look very professional and these are too casual. Not knowing where you two are from then I have no way of knowing what is allowed where you are....I worked for Wichita State University ( ya know center of bible belt and most of the head honchoes were Congregationalist - Plymouth style) and only head shots for the opera cast or jazz groups (an other musical groups - rock, country, R&B ) could be casual....If you were in the orchestra, wind ensemble, vocal major etc etc, then your head shots and accompanying material was to be extremely professional...they could care less tho if the shots were done with a camera phone:D

Looking forward to seeing more of your work
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Actually...it is for a Vietnamese singing competition. They have regional contests and the biggie is in California. She wanted a more casual look so my style of photography was appropriate. Considering what I had to work with equipment-wise, I think they turned out pretty decent. I plan to get some lighting and different backdrops soon. That will help me to get closer to that more formal look on the color shots you mentioned. You are in Wichita eh...lol...I'm originally from Tulsa so I'm familiar with the bs associated with the bible belt. I live up near philly now. Yes...the softness is from photoshop. Those are low res samples. The high res came out sharp but her skin is softened a bit. For some reason I can't figure out how to post more than one photo at a time. I see others do it but all I can upload is one at a time. That's why I created that low res thing in photoshop., so I could send them all in one post. Thanks for the compliment.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    CarnalSigh wrote:
    Actually...it is for a Vietnamese singing competition. They have regional contests and the biggie is in California. She wanted a more casual look so my style of photography was appropriate. Considering what I had to work with equipment-wise, I think they turned out pretty decent. I plan to get some lighting and different backdrops soon. That will help me to get closer to that more formal look on the color shots you mentioned. You are in Wichita eh...lol...I'm originally from Tulsa so I'm familiar with the bs associated with the bible belt. I live up near philly now. Yes...the softness is from photoshop. Those are low res samples. The high res came out sharp but her skin is softened a bit. For some reason I can't figure out how to post more than one photo at a time. I see others do it but all I can upload is one at a time. That's why I created that low res thing in photoshop., so I could send them all in one post. Thanks for the compliment.
    These are very nice - love the softness. I just hope that when you get better lighting equipment that you don't loose this feel. I have to believe that this could be a style that fits you very well.

If you are attaching a photo, you may attach only one per post. You can have more than one post in a thread, but only one photo attached to a given post.

If you are linking from a hosting site, you can link in as many photos as you like. Click here for instructions on how to do this.
  • CarnalSighCarnalSigh Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Thanks for the encouragement Scott. I agree, this style of close up casual low key portrait is what I am most comfy with. Since I don't have access to a studio, I have to use my imagination when working. The fact that I use the client's living room with mostly ambient lighting, has enabled me to get a semi-unique look in my area. Space is often limited so it can be a challenge sometimes. I was in a model's apt today. It is tiny. We had to move around furniture and work in a limited space, but I think we got some decent shots out of it. I'll post some samples from that session as soon as I can. (downloading from the camera as I write this)

Most of the people I photograph are tired of the status quo portraits done at walmart or olan mills or the mall. They want something a little more relaxed and less structured and hurried. This, along wth the fact that I use both digital and film, has enabled me to fill a bit of a niche. I am just a beginner, in both photography and photoshop, so I am constantly reading you guy' posts and trying out my take on your advice and techniques to learn and find my own style.