Comet McNaught from under Chicago skies...

chicagoastronomerchicagoastronomer Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 15, 2007 in Holy Macro
Chicago Views Comet McNaught

I had the great opportunity to both observe and photograph the comet recently from under light polluted Chicago skies.
Ca3.jpg

McNaught9a_filtered1.jpg

Shots were taken with a Canon Powershot S3 IS

More images and full narrative can be found at the Chicago Astronomer:

http://astronomer.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=Astrophotraphy&action=display&thread=1168410501

It was a great surprise bright comet.

Respectfully,

Chicago Astronomer Joe
Administrator
www.chicagoastronomer.com

Telescope/Observatory Operator
Adler Planetarium & Museum

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 14, 2007
    Joe, great first post! Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif
    That anything above can be seen from under Chicago skys from Oct. to Feb. is unusual enough. I haven't even tried lookig for McNaught yet. I gather I'm too late now to get a decent view.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Cool shot!
    I had the great opportunity to both observe and photograph the comet recently from under light polluted Chicago skies.

Despite of the light pollution you were lucky enough to have it on a relatively dark background. And you did a great job with your Powershot! thumb.gif
    I myself was not that lucky, at least today ne_nau.gif Pacific Ocean (10-15 miles away in the direction of the sunset) creates an eternally present strong orange haze, so the comet was barely visible ...rolleyes1.gif

Welcome to Dgrin!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Ca3.jpg

eek7.gif amazing & welcome !thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Chicago Views Comet McNaught

More images and full narrative can be found at the Chicago Astronomer:
    http://astronomer.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=Astrophotraphy&action=display&thread=1168410501
    It was a great surprise bright comet.
    Respectfully,
    Chicago Astronomer Joe
    Administrator
    www.chicagoastronomer.com
    Telescope/Observatory Operator
    Adler Planetarium & Museum

Hey welcome to the forum Joe :D
    Great post, we haven't seen many posts of the Comet.
    Nice to see you onboard here at Dgrin, and thank you for posting your images of the Comet, dang I wished I'd been able to see.

Time passes you by and then you think, rats I meant to see if I could see that Comet ..... ohhhhhhh well.

Least you got to see it and capture it clap.gif hooray for you :D
    Hope you enjoy the forum Joe, and please do keep posting.
    ..... Skippy

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited January 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey welcome to the forum Joe :D
    Great post, we haven't seen many posts of the Comet.
    Nice to see you onboard here at Dgrin, and thank you for posting your images of the Comet, dang I wished I'd been able to see.

Time passes you by and then you think, rats I meant to see if I could see that Comet ..... ohhhhhhh well.

Least you got to see it and capture it clap.gif hooray for you :D
    Hope you enjoy the forum Joe, and please do keep posting.
    ..... Skippy

Skip tomorrow (mon) night...if you get a clear view to the west ..search around abouts where the sun was just after its gone down. Cool ?
  • chicagoastronomerchicagoastronomer Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2007
    Thank you all for the welcome and kudos.

What I understand, now that Comet McNaught has swung toward the southern hemisphere, observers up north can view the comet in broad daylight, and some even naked eye!
    Vornhusen1_strip2.jpg

Here is a location map:
    skymap_north.gif
    Both images from Spaceweather.com

Find a building with a shadow that you can lurk in. Then look around the sky to see the comet. I cant tell you which side of the Sun the comet will be on, because it all depends on where you are on the Earth, so try out a few locations. The comet should be about a fist-widths distance (held up at arms length) away from the Sun, so it will be close.

The comet is now magnitude -5, making it the brightest since Ikeya-Seki in 1965. It it may get even brighter.

You may not see anything at first, but don't give up. Scan the blue sky until your eyes alight upon the comet. Once seen, you'll wonder how you could've missed it.

This weekend is a special time for Comet McNaught because it is passing close to the sun. Solar heat is causing the comet to vaporize furiously and brighten to daylight visibility.

Binoculars dramatically improve the view of the comet, allowing you to see structure within the tail. But please be super-careful not to look at the sun. Direct sunlight through binoculars can cause permanent eye damage.

http://astronomer.proboards23.com/index.cgi?board=comets&action=display&thread=1167964797

If this is so from Chicago, I intend to capture some more images.

It's well worth looking up!...:D
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Skip tomorrow (mon) night...if you get a clear view to the west ..search around abouts where the sun was just after its gone down. Cool ?

Well dang it Gus, I work afternoon shift so I will be at work poohbum!
    .... Skip
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited January 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Well dang it Gus, I work afternoon shift so I will be at work poohbum!
    .... Skip
    Gee skip...thats a nasty cough you seem to be getting there.
    edited January 14, 2007
    Ok skip...look here on these dates.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    great 1st post thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • chicagoastronomerchicagoastronomer Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 15, 2007
    Southern Hemisphere - Get ready for McNaught...
    Comet seen in NZ skies may be brightest in centuries

Known as Comet McNaught, it was only spotted for the first time last August by Australian professional astronomer Robert McNaught, when it was just a faint fuzzy blob.

Mr Carter said the comet had brightened up more than anyone expected as the icy lump orbited the sun, ice and dust coming off its surface reflecting sunlight.

"McNaught is now the brightest comet in more than 40 years. . .and it may become the brightest in centuries," Mr Carter said.

Nasa astronomer Tony Phillips told The Associated Press McNaught could turn out to be the brightest comet in recorded history: "It will remain a spectacular comet for weeks, perhaps months, in the Southern Hemisphere".

The comet made its closest approach to the sun – 25 million kilometres – over the weekend and is now moving away, which means it will be easiest to spot in the evening twilight.

Dr McNaught works at the research school of astronomy and astrophysics of the Australian National University. He is a prolific discoverer of asteroids and the comet was the 31st to carry his name.

Mr Phillips said Comet McNaught was six times brighter than Hale-Bopp in 1997 and 100 times brighter than Halley's Comet when it appeared in 1986.

"It will remain a spectacular comet for weeks, perhaps months, in the Southern Hemisphere," he said.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/y7fb2g

===========