JetSki ... Having A Go

SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
edited January 14, 2007 in Sports
Hey there fellow Dgrinners, I went down by the boat ramp after work today and found a couple of guys on their JetSki's.

I was really in the wrong place to shoot them, it was wayyyy too bright, and they almost turned out as silhouette, but I had fun and I learnt what I was doing wrong, so next time I should do better :D

This shot is not cropped in any way, Canon 400mm with 1.4 Ext added.
Enjoy....... Skippy

123042467-L.jpg
Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin

Comments

• KennyKenny Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there fellow Dgrinners, I went down by the boat ramp after work today and found a couple of guys on their JetSki's.

I was really in the wrong place to shoot them, it was wayyyy too bright, and they almost turned out as silhouette, but I had fun and I learnt what I was doing wrong, so next time I should do better :D

This shot is not cropped in any way, Canon 400mm with 1.4 Ext added.
    Enjoy....... Skippy

Hey there Skippy...

Great work on the jetski... I imagine they're pesky little things to shoot :D Anyway, hope you don't mind but I "borrowed" your shot and did a very quick adjustment... just copied the image to a new layer and changed the mode to "screen" to lighten the image. Did that three times, then did a rough selection of the jetski and rider, feathered by 20px and copied the selection to a new layer. Then I deleted all layers except the original and the one with the selection... means the jetski is lighter, but the background isn't washed out. :D

Actually... just noticed a "halo" around the rider... probably needed a bit more than the 20 seconds I spent on it :)

123048844-L.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Ken
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Kenny wrote:
    Hey there Skippy...

Great work on the jetski... I imagine they're pesky little things to shoot :D Anyway, hope you don't mind but I "borrowed" your shot and did a very quick adjustment... just copied the image to a new layer and changed the mode to "screen" to lighten the image. Did that three times, then did a rough selection of the jetski and rider, feathered by 20px and copied the selection to a new layer. Then I deleted all layers except the original and the one with the selection... means the jetski is lighter, but the background isn't washed out. :D
    Actually... just noticed a "halo" around the rider... probably needed a bit more than the 20 seconds I spent on it :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Ken

Thats okay Ken, I actually wasnt even going to post the shot :D
    It was more a learning thing than anything else, I could have played with it more myself, but I wanted the rider to be much sharper than I got him.
    Thanks for looking Ken ........ Skippy :D

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Golly Skippy that was one tough exposure. :uhoh If you exposed for the dude you're gonna blow out the water, if you expose for the water you get a dark dude. I would have gone for the water and tried to make the water ski and its driver a silhouette
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Golly Skippy that was one tough exposure. :uhoh If you exposed for the dude you're gonna blow out the water, if you expose for the water you get a dark dude. I would have gone for the water and tried to make the water ski and its driver a silhouette

I still feel if he had of been more to the right (in the bay) the sun would have been better to pick up more colour, next time I will go and ask them if dont mind if I take some photos of them and if they would go in a certain area :D these JekSki riders love showing off, I've never tried to take pictures of them before .......thanks for looking Harry :D ... Skippy