Options

E-Mail Notification

Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited February 18, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support
To a moderator, or anyone that can help me. I have recently joined and have subscribed to several threads. Unfortunately, when others post to those threads I'm not receiving an "instant" email notification as I have requested in setting up my profile options, so I can't follow the discussion. Have I missed something? Thanks for your help.
Scotty

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 15, 2007
    Hey Scott,

When you got and have a look at your subscribed threads...what type of notification is listed against your threads ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hey Scott,

When you got and have a look at your subscribed threads...what type of notification is listed against your threads ?

Cheers,

David

I'm not really sure what you're asking, David. In my user section under Settings and Options>Edit Options, I've indicated that I want immediate email notification to new thread posts, but I never get them. I can't understand what's wrong here. I participate in other forums with this same forum software and I never have any difficulty. I just don't get the notifications here.

Could you be more specific about your question?
    Scotty
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Scotty_R wrote:
    I'm not really sure what you're asking, David. In my user section under Settings and Options>Edit Options, I've indicated that I want immediate email notification to new thread posts, but I never get them. I can't understand what's wrong here. I participate in other forums with this same forum software and I never have any difficulty. I just don't get the notifications here.

Could you be more specific about your question?

nevermind...i had a play and it does seem to be broken. Lemme get patch29 or someone to have a look at it. thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    David,

I'm not sure what happened, but this morning I had a stack of email notifications from dgrin in my inbox. Thanks for your help...much appreciated.
    Scotty
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Scotty_R wrote:
    David,

I'm not sure what happened, but this morning I had a stack of email notifications from dgrin in my inbox. Thanks for your help...much appreciated.

patch fixed it thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    dcyphertdcyphert Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    nevermind...i had a play and it does seem to be broken. Lemme get patch29 or someone to have a look at it. thumb.gif

Hello,

I noticed recently I stopped receiving email notifications for the posts I make, even though I have those options checked in my preferences and I choose 'Instant email notification' before submission. headscratch.gif
    Dave

Canon EOS 30D, EOS Rebel XT, (2) Canon 430ex ETTL Flash, Canon 70-200mm IS USM L, 28-135mm IS USM lenses, Canon ST-E2 Wireless transmitter, Stroboframe flash bracket, Off camera shoe, Canon Remote Timer
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited February 13, 2007
    dcyphert wrote:
    Hello,
    I noticed recently I stopped receiving email notifications for the posts I make, even though I have those options checked in my preferences and I choose 'Instant email notification' before submission. headscratch.gif

Dave, I looked up your Dgrin account. It is currently set up as this:

Automatic Thread Subscription Mode
    Do not subscribe

...other options are:
    ° Subscribe with no Notification
    ° Instant email Notification
    ° Daily Email Notification
    ° Weekly email Notification

If you are using the default Dgrin skin, these settings can be changed under the top dgrin menu bar You, and then Edit Options and Default Thread Subscription Mode

Try that, and if it still doesn't work, please report back here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Dave, I looked up your Dgrin account. It is currently set up as this:

Automatic Thread Subscription Mode
    Do not subscribe

...other options are:
    ° Subscribe with no Notification
    ° Instant email Notification
    ° Daily Email Notification
    ° Weekly email Notification

If you are using the default Dgrin skin, these settings can be changed under the top dgrin menu bar You, and then Edit Options and Default Thread Subscription Mode

Try that, and if it still doesn't work, please report back here.

David,

I knew that was set to 'Do not subscribe', but that's what it's always been since I signed up last June. Since then, whenever I posted in a forum I'd choose 'Instant email notification' (under Additional Options[below]), then submit. The emails seemed to stop about the time of the new UI rollout...maybe just a coincidence, I don't know.

Am I correct that by choosing as a default 'Instant email notification' in the 'edit options' that I'd receive an email with every post in that Thread? If that's true, that is why I didn't have it set as my default because I didn't want email notification for everything in that thread, only to replies to my posts..on a 'per-post' basis. FYI...for this post I see that the 'Instant email notification' option is already chosen in the dropdown, is that because I set it in my preferences prior to starting this reply? Maybe I'm missing something here? Thanks.
    Dave

Canon EOS 30D, EOS Rebel XT, (2) Canon 430ex ETTL Flash, Canon 70-200mm IS USM L, 28-135mm IS USM lenses, Canon ST-E2 Wireless transmitter, Stroboframe flash bracket, Off camera shoe, Canon Remote Timer
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    The new Smugmug rollout should not have affected Dgrin, AFAIK. But you are right; something is amiss somewhere, as you are not the only one with this situation.

I'm going to need some help from the tech gurus here, but just as a guess, if No Email Notification is selected, that choice might have precedence over individual thread notification. You might want to try another option and see what happens, just for :D grins.

ear.gif Expecting one of those gurus to step forward.... help
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    The new Smugmug rollout should not have affected Dgrin, AFAIK. But you are right; something is amiss somewhere, as you are not the only one with this situation.

I'm going to need some help from the tech gurus here, but just as a guess, if No Email Notification is selected, that choice might have precedence over individual thread notification. You might want to try another option and see what happens, just for :D grins.

ear.gif Expecting one of those gurus to step forward.... help

Thanks David...I'll make a couple changes in the prefs and see what happens...I changed the notification pref to 'Daily email'.

I forgot to mention, and I know this is a SM issue, but I also stopped receiving emails when I receive orders on my SM site. I checked my settings on my email client and all is OK, I receive other email just fine. I'll contact the SM help and let them know this. Thanks again.
    Dave

• Options
    edited February 17, 2007
    Emails for subscriptions still not arriving??
    I changed my prefs to 'daily email notification' three days ago and still haven't got any email from dgrin. Is anyone else having this problem...I don't get it, I haven't changed my email provider, changed any settings on my end anyway. They just stopped coming altogether and no matter what I try, nothing works.headscratch.gif I sent a ticket into my host provider, who also handles the email side and asked them if they were blocking dgrin's IP address...no response in three days!eek7.gif
    Dave

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 18, 2007
    dcyphert wrote:
    I changed my prefs to 'daily email notification' three days ago and still haven't got any email from dgrin. Is anyone else having this problem...I don't get it, I haven't changed my email provider, changed any settings on my end anyway. They just stopped coming altogether and no matter what I try, nothing works.headscratch.gif I sent a ticket into my host provider, who also handles the email side and asked them if they were blocking dgrin's IP address...no response in three days!eek7.gif

Do you use a spam blocker? If you do, you might want to check the spam
    folder. If you use Yahoo! Mail, you may want to log into yahoo and check
    the bulk mail folder--Yahoo allows you to ignore the bulk folder when doing
    your POP downloads.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Do you use a spam blocker? If you do, you might want to check the spam
    folder. If you use Yahoo! Mail, you may want to log into yahoo and check
    the bulk mail folder--Yahoo allows you to ignore the bulk folder when doing
    your POP downloads.

Thanks for the advice...I checked my webmail spam folder, and it doesn't contain any messages from SM or Dgrin, I have my spam filter turned off on my email account, which I can manage settings for through my site host. I don't use the web to view my email, rather I user Outlook 2002. I haven't changed anything in the Outlook setup for this account (i.e. incoming POP3, outgoing SMTP) and I used to received the notices...I don't even receive Sales notices via email, and I should have as late as 3 days ago when I made a sale. I have to manually go into my SM control panel to see if I made sales.headscratch.gif I didn't receive an email when you replied to my last post, and it's set to 'INSTANT'.ne_nau.gif
    Dave

• Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    I received an email notification to two posts!!!!!
    dcyphert wrote:
    Thanks for the advice...I checked my webmail spam folder, and it doesn't contain any messages from SM or Dgrin, I have my spam filter turned off on my email account, which I can manage settings for through my site host. I don't use the web to view my email, rather I user Outlook 2002. I haven't changed anything in the Outlook setup for this account (i.e. incoming POP3, outgoing SMTP) and I used to received the notices...I don't even receive Sales notices via email, and I should have as late as 3 days ago when I made a sale. I have to manually go into my SM control panel to see if I made sales.headscratch.gif I didn't receive an email when you replied to my last post, and it's set to 'INSTANT'.ne_nau.gif

Though it's only through my webmail, I at least received some notice! Still can't receive through my Outlook program...the only thing I did on my side is to disable the 'Worm Stopper' feature on my McAfee software, v11.1
    Dave

• Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    dcyphert wrote:
    Though it's only through my webmail, I at least received some notice! Still can't receive through my Outlook program...the only thing I did on my side is to disable the 'Worm Stopper' feature on my McAfee software, v11.1

So you do get the messages if you read your e-mail using a web browser?

This leads me to believe the problem is the configuration of Outlook or
    perhaps the setting used to download your mail from the provider.

Can you tell us what protocol you use to download e-mail?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    So you do get the messages if you read your e-mail using a web browser?

This leads me to believe the problem is the configuration of Outlook or
    perhaps the setting used to download your mail from the provider.

Can you tell us what protocol you use to download e-mail?

Yes, I receive them when using a web browser ...and I comfirmed it by receiving email from other sources as well. I use Outlook 2002 (not Outlook Express). The settings below haven't changed from day 1. I even deleted the account and re-created it, made sure my PW wasn't in caps too.
    Dave

• Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    Problem fixed.
    dcyphert wrote:
    Yes, I receive them when using a web browser ...and I comfirmed it by receiving email from other sources as well. I use Outlook 2002 (not Outlook Express). The settings below haven't changed from day 1. I even deleted the account and re-created it, made sure my PW wasn't in caps too.

I deleted the account, closed Outlook, went through the setup routine on my hosts site (which looks identical to what I already had)...something I did see it do was copy something to my sys. registry. After opening Outlook again all the mail stated pouring in...I presume the emails will come for any future sales or post responses. Thanks to everyone that provided input.clap.gif
    Dave

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    dcyphert wrote:
    I deleted the account, closed Outlook, went through the setup routine on my hosts site (which looks identical to what I already had)...something I did see it do was copy something to my sys. registry. After opening Outlook again all the mail stated pouring in...I presume the emails will come for any future sales or post responses. Thanks to everyone that provided input.clap.gif
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    dcyphert wrote:

Outstanding!
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    Cool! clap.gif
    My Smugmug